Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

TDOT recently painted the undercarriages of some of its inner-city interstate bridges blue. They had been green and looked OK. But I prefer the blue. The shade is almost a carolina blue (would attach a photo but don't know how). 

Relatedly, the undercarriage of the pedestrian bridge that spans I-40 near the TSU campus was painted blue, too, and looks very eye catching. Likewise, the bottoms of the bridges near Siliman Evans in the south loop are now blue.

I noticed the same blue color scheme in Indianapolis interstate bridges when I visited in 2013.

Blue is a color that works well with the natural environment (specifically, the sky).

In contrast, red generally does not go well with natural environment elements (the sky, trees, grass, lakes/rivers) and can be both jarring and garish. That is my main complaint with Ghost Ballet, the lights on LP field and the undercarriages of the Gateway, Woodland Street, and Police Memorial bridges downtown. Sadly, all those are located within close proximity and, as such, create a harsh combination in that East Bank area. 

Admittedly, this is my OCD kicking in and that many folks will disagree with me. But I feel strongly about this.

It's often a combination of "the little things" that can make a nice difference for a  city and its built fabric. Because Nashville's urban form is very limited to a small geographical area (unlike older cities, which "got big" before the auto culture hit and have many more square miles of urban fabric than we do), we need as many elements of our limited core to be as attractive and functional as possible. This is a positive step. I am pleased.

WW

• Like 1

TDOT recently painted the underpinnings of some of its inner-city interstate bridges blue. They had been green and looked OK. But I prefer the blue. The shade is almost a Carolina blue (would attach a photo but don't know how). 

On a related note, the underpinnings of the pedestrian bridge that spans I-40 near the TSU campus was painted blue, too, and looks very eye catching. Likewise, the bottoms of the bridges near Siliman Evans in the south loop are now blue.

I noticed the same blue color scheme in Indianapolis interstate bridges when I visited in 2013.

Blue is a color that works well with the natural environment (specifically, the sky).

In contrast, red generally does not go well with natural environment elements (the sky, trees, grass, lakes/rivers) and can be both jarring and garish. That is my main complaint with Ghost Ballet, the lights on LP field and the undercarriages of the Gateway, Woodland Street, and Police Memorial bridges downtown. Sadly, all those are located within close proximity and, as such, create a harsh combination in that East Bank area. 

Admittedly, this is my OCD kicking in and that many folks will disagree with me. But I feel strongly about this.

It's often a combination of "the little things" that can make a nice difference for a  city and its built fabric. Because Nashville's urban form is very limited to a small geographical area (unlike older cities, which "got big" before the auto culture hit and have many more square miles of urban fabric than we do), we need as many elements of our limited core to be as attractive and functional as possible. This is a positive step. I am pleased.

WW

I wouldn't say that it's anal to conceive an updated common blue-paint/hue theme for such structures ─ I think it's a good point.  What's even interesting otherwise is that someone even noticed the change, beyond the subliminal and fleeting observation, and posted it.  It had never occurred to me, before you mentioned it.

In the highly unlikely event that you hadn't already noticed it, good luck though, in hoping for the same, for the CSX (ex Louisville & Nashville RR) swing-bridge moveable span, along with its approach trusses and decks.  This structure is located just north of the Victory Memorial Bridge ─ that red-painted deck-girder bridge you mentioned ─ which carries Jas. Robertson Pkwy.  Built in 1916, when construction overkill was the norm and before more advanced use of material science and structural practices had evolved, that ugly bridge has outlived most of us and and most other things still functionally active in this region.  The city tried in vain a few years ago to force CSX to paint the thing, but the railroad cannot be legally required to comply with any municipal or state order for aesthetic updating.  Despite its being a quintessential eyesore in the downtown area, the bridge remains structurally stable and is routinely inspected according to FRA rules.  Hell, that thing was ugly, even when I used to ride passenger trains across it from the '50s through the '70s.  So it appears to be that way to stay, I'm afraid, unless we ourselves pay to have it done.

The same could be said for all the rr underpasses in the area as well, particularly the Eighth-Ave. South underpass at Gleaves St, and between Cannery Row and Arnold's.  This one is rather obtrusive in appearance because of its large size and skewed span design.  With the looming upscale redevelopment in that particular area (between the rr and Division St.), a repainting of that structure could go far in dressing up the scene.

All this would have to be funded with taxpayer money, not by the railroad.  Also, the cost of sand- or shot-blasting a bridge and then priming and final-coating the structure, particularly over a waterway, would be rather costly, given the requirement to minimize and to contain the amount of contaminants removed and generated during the process.

-=ricky-roox=-

Edited by rookzie

I wouldn't say that it's anal to conceive an updated common blue-paint/hue theme for such structures ─ I think it's a good point.  What's even interesting otherwise is that someone even noticed the change, beyond the subliminal and fleeting observation, and posted it.  It had never occurred to me, before you mentioned it.

In the highly unlikely event that you hadn't already noticed it, good luck though, in hoping for the same, for the CSX (ex Louisville & Nashville RR) swing-bridge moveable span, along with its approach trusses and decks.  This structure is located just north of the Victory Memorial Bridge ─ that red-painted deck-girder bridge you mentioned ─ which carries Jas. Robertson Pkwy.  Built in 1916, when construction overkill was the norm and before more advanced use of material science and structural practices had evolved, that ugly bridge has outlived most of us and and most other things still functionally active in this region.  The city tried in vain a few years ago to force CSX to paint the thing, but the railroad cannot be legally required to comply with any municipal or state order for aesthetic updating.  Despite its being a quintessential eyesore in the downtown area, the bridge remains structurally stable and is routinely inspected according to FRA rules.  Hell, that thing was ugly, even when I used to ride passenger trains across it from the '50s through the '70s.  So it appears to be that way to stay, I'm afraid, unless we ourselves pay to have it done.

The same could be said for all the rr underpasses in the area as well, particularly the Eighth-Ave. South underpass at Gleaves St, and between Cannery Row and Arnold's.  This one is rather obtrusive in appearance because of its large size and skewed span design.  With the looming upscale redevelopment in that particular area (between the rr and Division St.), a repainting of that structure could go far in dressing up the scene.

All this would have to be funded with taxpayer money, not by the railroad.  Also, the cost of sand- or shot-blasting a bridge and then priming and final-coating the structure, particularly over a waterway, would be rather costly, given the requirement to minimize and to contain the amount of contaminants removed and generated during the process.

-=ricky-roox=-

Interesting info, as always.  

Personally I hope those old RR bridges never get painted, they give the city some age and grit.  It's getting a little too pristine for my taste.  It's the automobile infrastructure-the vast expanses of asphalt and the huge highways posing impassible barriers to pedestrians-that I don't like.

• Like 2

TDOT recently painted the undercarriages of some of its inner-city interstate bridges blue. They had been green and looked OK. But I prefer the blue. The shade is almost a carolina blue (would attach a photo but don't know how). 

Relatedly, the undercarriage of the pedestrian bridge that spans I-40 near the TSU campus was painted blue, too, and looks very eye catching. Likewise, the bottoms of the bridges near Siliman Evans in the south loop are now blue.

WW

Ha, I thought the blue for the pedistrian bridge was a TSU tie in. (Thier colors are blue and white.). I guess i thought wrong.

Nashville Rent Increases Have Residents Singing the Blues

Article in the WSJ about what we in Nashville have already known...Rents for apartments are getting crazy, especially in the urban areas and incomes are not keeping up. $1450 for a one-bedroom 546 sq ft apt in the 1505 building Demonbreun bldg is reaching big city prices. And yet, every week a new apartment building is announced.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/nashville-rent-increases-have-residents-singing-the-blues-1407708778

side note from the article:

Since David Cox, 55 years old, and his wife moved to East Nashville three years ago, rent for their apartment has risen 43% to $400. Real-estate agents say the community has become popular with young people priced out of downtown. But for Mr. Cox, a part-time health-care worker, "it's getting to the point where me and my wife need to sit down and say, 'Is this worth it?' "

Not sure where Mr Cox lives in East Nashville for $400 and he is asking is it worth it??? I wish I could pay $400 for rent. I hope that was a typo.

Edited by nashmoney

This is going up the hill where part of the strip center is. Elmington Capital owns the site and as of now nothing has happened. There are a number of groups looking at the site site and I have heard rumors of a hotel here for about two years. I can't remember exactly when Elmington bought the property but, two years sounds about right.

There has been information on Construction Wire for a while for a hotel here and I have even heard some brands that would be really odd for Nashville. I do know they are looking at selling or developing at some point. Elmington Capital is the only one that knows for sure.

Welcome to the Planet musiccityjk.

I just found this. Not sure if everyone saw this or not. I do not remember seeing it on here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2014/08/downtown-church-street-site-under-contract-high.html

Hey John, thanks for posting. I don't think we posted the NBJ article but the Tennessean article was posted in the Gulch thread.

This is going up the hill where part of the strip center is. Elmington Capital owns the site and as of now nothing has happened. There are a number of groups looking at the site site and I have heard rumors of a hotel here for about two years. I can't remember exactly when Elmington bought the property but, two years sounds about right.

There has been information on Construction Wire for a while for a hotel here and I have even heard some brands that would be really odd for Nashville. I do know they are looking at selling or developing at some point. Elmington Capital is the only one that knows for sure.

Welcome to the Planet musiccityjk.

Thanks for the info. I live in the Rhythm on the side facing downtown and am always wondering if/when I will lose my view.

Just noticed the other day that the former "Feed The Children" warehouse on the East Bank near Davidson Street is now a Beaman Automotive Parts Distributive Center. Not sure if it is replacing the one by his back office and sales lots on West End or just another addition.

Edited by TnNative

I will post this under the CBD thread too. Life way is looking to sell their entire downtown campus. Just saw on channel 4.

Saw that too. That is a big chunk of land, suddenly available.

It's relation to downtown...(approximately)

LW3_zps4a8ca91b.jpg

The Campus..(unsure of actual boundaries).

LW1_zpsce6ca0fc.jpg

From Google street view...some of the major buildings

LW2_zpscea504e2.jpg

A is the oldest building. I'm not sure what use it would have to a developer. B & C are more contemporary and could be office space, hotel or even residential. The big publishing building would be a difficult re-use. It has air rights over CSX and who knows what restrictions there are.

Edit; Didn't catch the CBD thread reference. If you want to move this post, please do.

Edited by PHofKS

I have news I cannot share, but I think there will be some exciting things happening over the next month. Did a walk today and fed William some very very interesting observations.

You know me, ear to the ground and eyes always looking.

Oh the suspense! :-) 

I have news I cannot share, but I think there will be some exciting things happening over the next month. Did a walk today and fed William some very very interesting observations.

You know me, ear to the ground and eyes always looking.

Awwwww...COME ON MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Spill the beans!

Not sure if this is old news or not.

Driving by Bridgestone Arena tonight, they had a very nice and colorful lighting scheme on the outside of the arena. It was kinda a multicolored pulsing light display. It was very nice looking and made the bland walls of the arena awfully attractive for what they are. Maybe I've been missing this (I don't get out at night much), or maybe it's something new.