Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

Tracks on the album were recorded in the eight cities featured on the cover.

This. It's for a special being shot for HBO I believe. They are going to cities with great music history and recording a song in each city. Nashville of course was one of them. Can't wait to watch it. Edited by satalac

Something to consider as we often discuss if Nashville can be a true "real city" without a very tall building. 

Of the 50 tallest buildings in the U.S., only five are located in cities that are not ranked among the nation's 15 largest cities (by metro population).

They are:

No. 21. Key Tower, Cleveland, 947 feet

No. 29. Bank of American Tower, Charlotte, 871

No. 41. Devon Energy Tower, OKC, 844

No. 43. U.S. Steel Tower, Pittsburgh, 841

No. 44. Chase Tower, Indy, 830

This suggests that Nashville can be an outstanding place without a building of 800 feet taller or taller (Portland is the best example that quickly comes to mind).

Obviously, I hope we get 505 CST as that would be a "statement building" at 750 feet tall. And there is something to be said for what a truly tall building symbolizes for any city, particularly a city like Nashville that is lacking in some key urban built environment areas (e.g., building density, sheer number of mixed-use buildings, buildings positioned at the sidewalk, and mass transit).

WW

• Like 1

Right on! Of all the cities to miss, they omit Memphis and Detroit? We're talking important American epicenters of musical effluence, and they omit Memphis and Detroit?!

The Foo Fighters can remember one of the great American musical traditions (i.e. jazz), but they forget the other, arguably far more influential, tradition(s)? 

Flag on play.

Edited by vinemp

Right on! Of all the cities to miss, they omit Memphis and Detroit? We're talking important American epicenters of musical effluence, and they omit Memphis and Detroit?!

The Foo Fighters can remember one of the great American musical traditions (i.e. jazz), but they forget the other, arguably far more influential, tradition(s)? 

Flag on play.

They only recorded 8 songs in 8 cities, so some places are going to get left out.  They are not necessarily ranking these 8 cities above any other cities. 

... And there is something to be said for what a truly tall building symbolizes for any city, particularly a city like Nashville that is lacking in some key urban built environment areas (e.g., building density, sheer number of mixed-use buildings, buildings positioned at the sidewalk, and mass transit).

WW

I'd rather have any of those other things than just a tall building.  

And one thing we do have-lots of lively people on the street in the evening-means way more to me than just having the 50th tallest building in the country.

I'd also rather have a truly innovative piece of architecture and engineering (like the original 505 CST) of any height than just another tall rectangle with a crown on top.  Just my view.

• Like 1

Memphis and Detroit offer as much, if not more, musical history than just about any other cities in the U.S.  

I recently visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (Cleveland?!!) and while it gave appropriate credit to Memphis and Detroit for its influence in the origins of rock and roll, Nashville was not mentioned. I searched and searched and there was almost zero mention of Nashville anywhere.

Nashville played a huge part in Rock and Rolls development and history. Nashville needs to build its own R&R Museum that celebrates this aspect of Nashville's musical impact on the world.

From the Encyclopedia Brittanica..

Rock and roll has been described as a merger of country music and rhythm and blues, but, if it were that simple, it would have existed long before it burst into the national consciousness. The seeds of the music had been in place for decades, but they flowered in the mid-1950s when nourished by a volatile mix of black culture and white spending power. Black vocal groups such as the Dominoes and the Spaniels began combining gospel-style harmonies and call-and-response singing with earthy subject matter and more aggressive rhythm-and-blues rhythms. Heralding this new sound were disc jockeys such as Alan Freed of ClevelandOhioDewey Phillips of Memphis, Tennessee, and William (“Hoss”) Allen of WLAC in Nashville, Tennessee—who created rock-and-roll radio by playing hard-driving rhythm-and-blues and raunchy blues records that introduced white suburban teenagers to a culture that sounded more exotic, thrilling, and illicit than anything they had ever known. In 1954 that sound coalesced around an image: that of a handsome white singer, Elvis Presley, who sounded like a black man.

Rock & Rollers who developed their careers and/or recorded hit music in Nashville...

Elvis

Roy Orbison

Brenda Lee

Pat Boone

Everly Brothers 

Neil Young

Simon & Garfunkel

Bob Dylan

Jimmi Hendrix

Dan Fogleberg

Charlie Daniels

Paul McCartney

George Harrison

Roger Miller

Tanya Tucker

on and on...

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

I'd rather have any of those other things than just a tall building.  

And one thing we do have-lots of lively people on the street in the evening-means way more to me than just having the 50th tallest building in the country.

I'd also rather have a truly innovative piece of architecture and engineering (like the original 505 CST) of any height than just another tall rectangle with a crown on top.  Just my view.

Agree on all counts, Neigeville2

WW

I recently visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (Cleveland?!!) and while it gave appropriate credit to Memphis and Detroit for its influence in the origins of rock and roll, Nashville was not mentioned. I searched and searched and there was almost zero mention of Nashville anywhere.

Nashville played a huge part in Rock and Rolls development and history. Nashville needs to build its own R&R Museum that celebrates this aspect of Nashville's musical impact on the world.

From the Encyclopedia Brittanica..

Rock & Rollers who developed their careers and/or recorded hit music in Nashville...

Elvis

Roy Orbison

Brenda Lee

Pat Boone

Everly Brothers 

Neil Young

Simon & Garfunkel

Bob Dylan

Jimmi Hendrix

Dan Fogleberg

Charlie Daniels

Paul McCartney

George Harrison

Roger Miller

Tanya Tucker

on and on...

Good points, PhofKS.

I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 and, now that you say, don't seem to recall much mention of Nashville. I wish we had a "city exhibit" at the museum. Memphis gets a lot of love (check here: https://rockhall.com/exhibits/cities-and-sounds/)

With all due respect to Wildwood, N.J., Cleveland and Detroit (each of which can lay claim to the  "birthplace of rock and roll"), Memphis is the city in which rock and roll was born. I'm biased (was born in the Bluff City) but the facts strongly support it.

WW

• Like 2

By the way... I found this image of the proposed National Museum of African-American Music to be built on Broadway!

NMAAM_zps0f968c94.jpg

Understandably, Memphis is not too happy about it.

Good  find, PhofKS. Just read.

I've been to the Stax museum and it is strong. I've also been to Sun studio. Have yet to visit Rock and Soul Museum on Beale Street.

Nashville has a strong history with African-American music and I am very excited about the museum. Clearly, Memphis has a much more significant history. But I suppose if leaders in Boise or Buffalo got the money and the place, we could have a black music museum in those cities. 

WW

• Like 1

I've been to the Stax museum and it is strong. I've also been to Sun studio. Have yet to visit Rock and Soul Museum on Beale Street.

Nashville has a strong history with African-American music and I am very excited about the museum. Clearly, Memphis has a much more significant history. But I suppose if leaders in Boise or Buffalo got the money and the place, we could have a black music museum in those cities. 

WW

This is probably Nashville's long overdue substitute for not having a Civil Rights Museum, although one would be very appropriate considering the City's and it's people's huge roles in ending segregation. 

• Like 1

WW

I'm just glad we're embracing something other than just country.  When I went through Leadership Music and discovered how much music has been a part of Nashville, even before Country Music (Fisk Jubilee Singers)...I understood how Nashville truly is a "Music City."

I actually wish we had a museum that was just an American Music Museum that would showcase all of the music that's helped make Nashville the Music City of the U.S.

• Like 1

By the way... I found this image of the proposed National Museum of African-American Music to be built on Broadway!

NMAAM_zps0f968c94.jpg

Understandably, Memphis is not too happy about it.

Nice find on the rendering. Not to get too off topic, but Memphis generally sits around and isn't proactive and then when someone else (Nashville) brings an idea into reality (Rock n Roll museum in Cleveland, African American Music Museum, etc) they get mad. Most of it's jealousy. That list could go all of the way down to the MCC and the Titans, but like I said I wouldn't get too off topic. 

Edited by arkitekte
  • Like 1

This is probably Nashville's long overdue substitute for not having a Civil Rights Museum, although one would be very appropriate considering the City's and it's people's huge roles in ending segregation. 

Excellent point. That's one reason Dean is behind this. He knows it will be a positive thing on many levels.

Nice find on the rendering. Not to get too off topic, but Memphis generally sits around and isn't proactive and then when someone else (Nashville) brings an idea into reality (Rock n Roll museum in Cleveland, African American Music Museum, etc) they get mad. Most of it's jealousy. That list could go all of the way down to the MCC and the Titans, but like I said I wouldn't get too off topic. 

Arkitekte,

Though you are correct to note that Memphis leaders do sometimes show a certain envy toward Nashville, their emotions are fueled, in part, due to some uncalled-for anti-Memphis sentiment from Nashviilians. The two cities and their citizenry could do a better job of being "teammates." Sadly, that will likely never happen. I have strong  family ties to both cities, so I want both to prosper. However, there are many Nashviillians I know who seemingly wish Memphis ill will. I find it troubling at the least and offensive at the worst.

• Like 1

Arkitekte,

Though you are correct to note that Memphis leaders do sometimes show a certain envy toward Nashville, their emotions are fueled, in part, due to some uncalled-for anti-Memphis sentiment from Nashviilians. The two cities and their citizenry could do a better job of being "teammates." Sadly, that will likely never happen. I have strong  family ties to both cities, so I want both to prosper. However, there are many Nashviillians I know who seemingly wish Memphis ill will. I find it troubling at the least and offensive at the worst.

I have heard people say this recently and I have never heard it. Sure there have been a few LOLs thrown M-towns way but nothing outright.  We got the capitol and they got the river.  Lets leave it at that.

----------------------

http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/ArticleEmail.aspx?id=75052&print=1

I agree with everything this guy says.

Edited by grilled_cheese

Arkitekte,

I lived in Memphis for a while, and I have to say I saw more angst towards Nashville from Memphians than I have ever seen from Nashville towards Memphis.  That's my personal experience and obviously subjective.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

Arkitekte,

Though you are correct to note that Memphis leaders do sometimes show a certain envy toward Nashville, their emotions are fueled, in part, due to some uncalled-for anti-Memphis sentiment from Nashviilians. The two cities and their citizenry could do a better job of being "teammates." Sadly, that will likely never happen. I have strong family ties to both cities, so I want both to prosper. However, there are many Nashviillians I know who seemingly wish Memphis ill will. I find it troubling at the least and offensive at the worst.

I think part of the reason that Memphis is upset is that they never seem to take initiative to get better. They keep pointing at Nashville and claiming we get everything because we're the capital, but that's not the case. We get things because we're proud of our city and are willing to work for what we get. We have strong leadership and don't play the victim. Memphis has so much that they simply don't take advantage of. The music, culture, food, history, geographical location. They could grow like gangbusters, but they just want to sit around and sulk, I don't understand it.
  • Like 3

I'm just glad we're embracing something other than just country.  When I went through Leadership Music and discovered how much music has been a part of Nashville, even before Country Music (Fisk Jubilee Singers)...I understood how Nashville truly is a "Music City."

I actually wish we had a museum that was just an American Music Museum that would showcase all of the music that's helped make Nashville the Music City of the U.S.

Well said THog

WW

I lived in Memphis for a while, and I have to say I saw more angst towards Nashville from Memphians than I have ever seen from Nashville towards Memphis.  That's my personal experience and obviously subjective.

Interesting observation. 

I think part of the reason that Memphis is upset is that they never seem to take initiative to get better. They keep pointing at Nashville and claiming we get everything because we're the capital, but that's not the case. We get things because we're proud of our city and are willing to work for what we get. We have strong leadership and don't play the victim. Memphis has so much that they simply don't take advantage of. The music, culture, food, history, geographical location. They could grow like gangbusters, but they just want to sit around and sulk, I don't understand it.

Satalac,

In fairness, Memphis city leaders made a strong attempt to get the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (that Cleveland eventually landed).

WW

Satalac,

In fairness, Memphis city leaders made a strong attempt to get the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (that Cleveland eventually landed).

WW

That's true, and they've made strong pushes toward other developments, but it's more of the issues that they continue to ignore that hurt Memphis rather than help it (airport issues, convention space, hotel issue downtown, public transportation, etc.) Nashville has solved many of the issues that Memphis currently is facing, yet the city leaders aren't even attempting to publicly acknowledge that these are issues that need to be corrected in a certain amount of time. That's where Nashville is light years ahead of Memphis. 

I've noticed this as well. I know it sounds somewhat foolish, but the Titans situation has a lot to do with it. People go as far to refer to the Titans as the Nashville Titans.

Sorry for taking this thread so far off topic. 

• Like 2