Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

^^^as with any other "list" there are some very serious variables to take into account here. There is no doubt that Nashville has a strong higher learning presence. But take Boston for example. Boston proper may not compare to our list of universities, but considering the boundaries (90 sq. mi.) and that Cambridge is only 3.3 miles from the dead center of Boston, that's kind of a game changer.

I guess my point is that we may rank up there in "universities per city", but not necessarily "university density".

NVWill,

I was talking specifically about mid-sized cities. Boston's group of colleges and universities is vastly more impressive than Nashville's.

WW

yeah, fisk is conspicuous in its absence.

Great catch. I forgot Fisk. Will add now.

WW

e-dub with a good catch. I accidentally omitted Fisk. The new list:

For Nashville/Davidson County, I would rank our "Big 10" (in terms of importance, prestige, national influence, history, athletics, etc.) as follows:

1. Vanderbilt

2. Belmont

3. Tennessee State

4. Lipscomb

5. Meharry

6. Fisk

7. Trevecca

8. Aquinas

9. Watkins

10. Nashville State Community College 

Fisk should be somewhere around Meharry on that list.

Agree. I forgot about Fisk.

Edited by East Side Urbanite
  • Like 1

NVWill,

I was talking specifically about mid-sized cities. Boston's group of colleges and universities is vastly more impressive than Nashville's.

WW

Great catch. I forgot Fisk. Will add now.

WW

e-dub with a good catch. I accidentally omitted Fisk. The new list:

For Nashville/Davidson County, I would rank our "Big 10" (in terms of importance, prestige, national influence, history, athletics, etc.) as follows:

1. Vanderbilt

2. Belmont

3. Tennessee State

4. Lipscomb

5. Meharry

6. Fisk

7. Trevecca

8. Aquinas

9. Watkins

10. Nashville State Community College 

Agree. I forgot about Fisk.

You also forgot Welch College, F.K.A Free Will Baptist Bible College. They have around 500 students.

Warby Parker bringing 250 jobs to Nashville (area). I could see them going in the Gulch.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/09/trendy-eyewear-company-warby-parker-announces.html

Very cool. A cursory glance at their jobs page indicates they are already hiring. Apparently mostly service personnel...maybe a call-center of some sort?

So cool to see the huge changes that have hit those neighborhoods in just a few years time.

Looks a little like log cabin siding.

One thing is for sure...it seems everyone is trying to beat each other to the punch to get downtown and the Row area apartments built before housing trends downward.

Meeting Monday Sept 8; Woodland St Bike Lanes; East Park 6-7pm

Community Meeting next Monday night at East Park regarding a Protected Bike Lane for Woodland Street.

To have room for Bike Lanes, the turn lane would have to be removed.  A Protected Bike Lane has barriers to separate vehicular and bike lanes.

The meeting is sponsored by CM Peter Westerholm.
This kind of thing is very important for supporting growth along the main st/woodland st corridor.
Protected bike lanes are part of a good mix of urban transportation options.
Please come out and support if you can, there is small but very vocal (and curmudgeony) opposition to this.
  • Like 1

Not trying to be picky... because I have enjoyed this fantasy rendering, but I believe the Lennar building should be on the "inside" of the Artisan from this angle (nudging up to the right of Adelicia).  Perhaps someone can check me on that.  Also, would be great to see this shot in about five years with the SoBro... Westin... two Turnberry towers... Sheet Music... 505CST... and whatever will be going on Church in the Gulch by that Knoxville firm.  

Thanks for putting this together.  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Not trying to be picky... because I have enjoyed this fantasy rendering, but I believe the Lennar building should be on the "inside" of the Artisan from this angle (nudging up to the right of Adelicia).  Perhaps someone can check me on that.  Also, would be great to see this shot in about five years with the SoBro... Westin... two Turnberry towers... Sheet Music... 505CST... and whatever will be going on Church in the Gulch by that Knoxville firm.  

Thanks for putting this together.  

It is striking how this image shows that the overwhelming majority of the mid-rise density is on the south side of Broadway in Midtown, not the north side.

Edited by bwithers1

Called by Lexy back in May (per Michael Davis)

The article analysis called it "advantage Nashville" over St louis, Indy, Cleveland

Nashville to London flights?????. Nashville vying with several other cities.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/09/report-nashville-vying-for-british-airways-service.html

Edited by Guest