Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

It is striking how this image shows that the overwhelming majority of the mid-rise density is on the south side of Broadway in Midtown, not the north side.

for now

...you're right, because there's no way that that trapezoidal squat between B'way and West End, between 20th and 21st, can avoid the rise for too long...

-==-

...you're right, because there's no way that that trapezoidal squat between B'way and West End, between 20th and 21st, can avoid the rise for too long...

-==-

Keep in mind that a big chunk of that is Vanderbilt property. They'll be much more inclined to sit on the land than a private real estate investor. Land adjacent to campus is hard to come by, so I certainly don't see them ever selling it. I'm sure they'll end up building at some point.

Keep in mind that a big chunk of that is Vanderbilt property. They'll be much more inclined to sit on the land than a private real estate investor. Land adjacent to campus is hard to come by, so I certainly don't see them ever selling it. I'm sure they'll end up building at some point.

... you're right.  But at least one thing that Vandy likely will end up having to do in my lifetime is to tear down that severely outdated Baker Building, even if no time soon.  They used to house some of their IT operations in Baker.  You yourself might know whether or not VU actually owns Baker (I myself surely don't know), and therefore it could be under long-term lease, for all I know.  No, I don't expect whatever eventually will be earmarked on VU property to turn into a Trump mid-town, but I would suppose that they would not sit on the land, just to be having it.

-==-

• Like 1

I think that development along the north side of West End has been hampered by Alex Palmer's failure to get WES built.  Add to that the fact that side of the street had been decimated over the decades with ticky-tack buildings (not the least of which are fast food joints) all the way up to 21st. 

... you're right.  But at least one thing that Vandy likely will end up having to do in my lifetime is to tear down that severely outdated Baker Building, even if no time soon.  They used to house some of their IT operations in Baker.  You yourself might know whether or not VU actually owns Baker (I myself surely don't know), and therefore it could be under long-term lease, for all I know.  No, I don't expect whatever eventually will be earmarked on VU property to turn into a Trump mid-town, but I would suppose that they would not sit on the land, just to be having it.

-==-

Yep - Vandy owns: The Baker Building and attached Terrace Garage, the Center Building, the Barbizon, and just about all of the parking lots that you see around them. Almost everything else in there that isn't Corner Pub or Qdoba is owned by the Catholic Church. Like I said, I'm sure they'll extend the whole campus onto that land at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

At most it'd be a connection flight between here and Tokyo via San Francisco (SFO).

That is one possibility (because Nashville needs SFO anyway), but I will say there is ongoing work to get a true nonstop to Tokyo at high levels.   There are actually better fundamentals to support a nonstop Tokyo flight than there is to support a BA flight to London.  

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 3

Do those fundamentals include the Japanese Consulate in Palmer Plaza, entities of Nissan North America (i.e. a Headquarters in Cool Springs and plants in Smyrna and Decherd), and a Toyota Motorcorp plant in Georgetown, KY?

I would add that Japan is also the largest foreign investor in TN.   Also, the consulate General based in Nashville covers all of TN, KY, AR, MS, and LA.   

SFO is perhaps the most important non-stop that we need. I can tell you, flying from the Bay Area to Nashville is a major PITA with the current setup. When making the eastbound journey, it's an all day affair with the time difference. Any tech people that may want to come here, are likely turned off by that. I can attest, when I lived in the Bay Area, essentially all of my 10 annual vacation days were spent in the air. I would schedule trips home around long weekends, because I knew that two of those days would be spent traveling.

A direct flight would only be about 4.5-5 hours, vs the 8-10 that it takes now.

Bonus for us! After getting to SFO, take a $3 BART ride to Oakland, and you can round trip to Honolulu for about $250!

• Like 3

Do those fundamentals include the Japanese Consulate in Palmer Plaza, entities of Nissan North America (i.e. a Headquarters in Cool Springs and plants in Smyrna and Decherd), and a Toyota Motorcorp plant in Georgetown, KY?

I would assume. I don't know the details of numbers of demanded seats or anything like that. I doubt the Toyota Assembly plant in Georgetown would be a big factor since there are so many airports that could get them to an international hub.  All they have to do is get on a plan in Lexington that takes them to Detroit and they can fly nonstop from there. 

I would assume. I don't know the details of numbers of demanded seats or anything like that. I doubt the Toyota Assembly plant in Georgetown would be a big factor since there are so many airports that could get them to an international hub.  All they have to do is get on a plan in Lexington that takes them to Detroit and they can fly nonstop from there. 

There is also a Toyota plant in Huntsville Al, as well as a number of tech companies based in the orient there as well.

With its large Nashville operation, Southwest Airlines seems the most likely airline to resume nonstop service to the Bay Area. Southwest ran a daily nonstop flight from BNA to Oakland for several years. It's was discontinued as SW built up its Denver operations.

Both American and Southwest typically offer one stop service (no change of plane) to SFO via Los Angeles, San Diego, Dallas or Denver. United Airlines would be the best option for nonstop service since they have a large hub at SFO with numerous Asia/Pacific connections. United however is struggling these days and does not have mainline aircraft to launch many new routes. In fact, for years United has only flown regional jets to BNA serving Houston, Denver, Chicago, Newark and Washington Dulles. Virgin America might be enticed to start such a flight, especially with the planned Virgin Hotel on Music Row. A nonstop flight to the Bay Area is badly needed.

I see the odds of BNA getting another nonstop flight to London at about 50/50. The historically large base of OneWorld (American AAdvantage) fliers here could help. Nashville's current population growth and economic boom fueled by our world renowned tourism appeal could be the factor that gives Nashville an edge over the other cities listed as finalists.

That is one possibility (because Nashville needs SFO anyway), but I will say there is ongoing work to get a true nonstop to Tokyo at high levels.   There are actually better fundamentals to support a nonstop Tokyo flight than there is to support a BA flight to London.  

I'd be ok with us not getting a nonstop to Tokyo. But only if we can get the Japanese to help us out with the high speed rail line to Atlanta. They are wanting to get into the American market.....

• Like 2

I'd be ok with us not getting a nonstop to Tokyo. But only if we can get the Japanese to help us out with the high speed rail line to Atlanta. They are wanting to get into the American market.....

It doesn't use a dedicated lane does it?

This would be great - but prohibitively expensive from Nashville to Atlanta.   I rode the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto (about 225 miles), and it was a little over 2 hours.  And smooth!

• Like 2

ATTEMPTED THREAD HIJACKING:

Given the recent and impending developments along Franklin Pike (i.e. 8th Ave.), Charlotte Pike, and Gallatin Pike, I wonder if it would be in the best interest of the communities outside the city to focus on development along these existing routes, as tradition would hold. I mean, it's not the most attractive of daydreams, but...

Of course, I am referring to the online survey that Nashville Next published some months ago. For those of you who are unfamiliar, the survey presented three scenarios for mapping future growth, and asked participants to rank them:

1.) Business as Usual

2.) Centers with Adjacent Infill

3.) Downtown and Pikes

Yes, they pretty much telegraph Centers with Adjacent Infill being the most responsible and forward-looking option.

Still, what did/do you think would be the best or more likely scenario?

Edited by vinemp

Yeah, I dunno what I was thinking. Louisville is also just around an hour from Georgetown, huh?

It looks like Palmer is finally putting the West End Summit site up for sale.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/09/for-sale-alex-palmers-west-end-summit-site.html

Not sure if tying the two together will help him sell it any faster...unless he offers them both at bargain prices.  But....glad to see he's willing to let someone else take this over and make it successful.

• Like 1