New "12 South Lofts" w/ Retail | COMPLETED

smeagolsfree

New Mixed Use Building on 12 South

This from the NBJ.

http://www.bizjourna...st-venture.html

“Located next to 12 South Taproom and Grill, the new building will be a mixed use development comprised of 67 luxury rental apartments and 4,200-square-feet ground floor retail.”

1220South20Lofts20Rendering20jpeg_900.jpg

This is going to be a great addition to the 12 South area. I think we are getting back to old times finally.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These look killer to borrow a phrase from ESU. The more the merrier.

I remember when Bellevue, Brentwood et al were building 100's of apartment complexes everywhere and no one ever took notice. When I used to live on Edmondson Pike, it was far removed from any urbanity, now Edmondson Pike is overwhelmed with development.

It starts with one building and just explodes after that.

• 3 weeks later...

my guess is they won't be torn down for a parking lot. I hope they put the lot behind the building, which i am guessing they will since these developers seem relatively intelligent. This building seems like it might stretch from 12 south taproom down to nearly these houses.

There is an update here and that is the project is going to be larger than thought. The three houses to left of the site will be torn down for an expanded project. These houses are home to small business's including Rumours.

There is an article in the Post but it is a paid article.

They might as well use the Rumors site, too. The landlord for Rumons pretty obviously sensed a better deal for that land when the project was announced next door. I do hope that Rumors is able to reopen, though. There is a fair amount of turnover in 12 South, so maybe a new space will open soon.

On the plus side, having this building occupy a greater street frontage will be better for 12 South, IMO, because the area to my mind is a bit hodge-podge at present. This building could create sort of a book-end effect in conjunction with the 12th & Paris building further south and across the street. Maybe before too long the currently vacant or underutilized lots in 12 South will be developed as well to give a more coherent feel to the area.

Fortunately, those concerns seems to involve parking, which may be relative easy and low-cost to alleviate given the size of the lot when it includes the Rumors building. If the neighborhood has other issues, such as design, density, or business use restrictions, or opposition to the demolition of the Rumors building, which is a contributing structure to the character of the neighborhood, then those could be more involved. Again, I'm pretty optimistic that the neighbors and the developers can work together on parking.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that Blackbird Tattoo has relocated to 8th Ave South/Franklin Road in the Melrose Area. I'm pretty sure that I saw their sign in one of those windows today.

opposition to the demolition of the Rumors building, which is a contributing structure to the character of the neighborhood, then those could be more involved.

that's what I was kinda hoping for.. in my above post. although i have not really seen these houses up close, to know their condition. I just feel like it could take away from the neighborhood character if they are demolished.

I took a long walk down there last Sunday and had lunch at Edlys BBQ<(very good) and noticed the parking situation even on a Sunday morning was a bit of a problem. The article says there will be a parking garage built. I dont think the traffic will be much of an issue. Not that many additional cars at any given time. You would have a lot more traffic if this was a strip center and the old neighbors would have never complained about that.

that's what I was kinda hoping for.. in my above post. although i have not really seen these houses up close, to know their condition. I just feel like it could take away from the neighborhood character if they are demolished.

I do understand that concern, Jice. It is a shame to tear down what was an adaptive reuse of a vintage house (that is actually close to the street), particularly for a parking lot, when there are so many other buildings worthy of demolition and even vacant lots remaining on the street. I don't think that 12th Avenue South is part of the Belmont Hillsboro Conservation Overlay, though, which would prevent demolition of contributing structures, so it would be up to the neighbors to convince the developer to save that structure and maybe put parking the garage behind it. That would be a new twist on the idea of wrapping parking garages in retail!

Either way, I'm pretty confident that this development will go forward will be a good addition to the 12 South area.

I do understand that concern, Jice. It is a shame to tear down what was an adaptive reuse of a vintage house (that is actually close to the street), particularly for a parking lot, when there are so many other buildings worthy of demolition and even vacant lots remaining on the street. I don't think that 12th Avenue South is part of the Belmont Hillsboro Conservation Overlay, though, which would prevent demolition of contributing structures, so it would be up to the neighbors to convince the developer to save that structure and maybe put parking the garage behind it. That would be a new twist on the idea of wrapping parking garages in retail!

Either way, I'm pretty confident that this development will go forward will be a good addition to the 12 South area.

An adaptive reuse of the house, yes. But one with a huge parking lot behind it with tons of wasted space. Not too mention you get rid of that hideous Mid TN electric building. This project will almost certainly raise surrounding property values.

This project should not be opposed ed by neighbors as it is the natural progression of the suburban neighborhood to a more urban setting. But cranky people who like to oppose progress will be cranky people who oppose progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea whats happening nearby on the lot across from the Frothy Monkey? That sign had been proposed as something for awhile and there is work going on on the site but it I havent read about anything going in there. Also, noticed the abandoned little building next to Frothy is now on the market. I would expect to see quite a bit of development over the next 3-5 years on the little stretch of 12 South. There are quite a few buildings that ought to be torn down and lots that should be better utilized. Its quickly becoming a nice little neighborhood, very walking friendly.

Any idea whats happening nearby on the lot across from the Frothy Monkey? That sign had been proposed as something for awhile and there is work going on on the site but it I havent read about anything going in there. Also, noticed the abandoned little building next to Frothy is now on the market. I would expect to see quite a bit of development over the next 3-5 years on the little stretch of 12 South. There are quite a few buildings that ought to be torn down and lots that should be better utilized. Its quickly becoming a nice little neighborhood, very walking friendly.

I have asked William the same thing. I noticed it a while back. This is the lot on the corner of 12 South and Melrose. There had been a condo/mixed use building planned there several years ago but I think the property sold. There is an erosion barrier around the property with a huge load of gravel that had been dumped there last I saw. I searched the building permits going back a few weeks and didn't see anything but that does not mean the permit could have been pulled earlier. I normally see stuff on the key streets but every now and then I even forget to check the permits.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived