Census: North Carolina surges to 9,656,401 residents

DCMetroRaleigh

North Carolina has remained among the fastest-growing states in the nation during the economic downturn, adding an estimated 121,000 residents in the 15 months that ended in July, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.The state had an estimated 9,656,401 residents on July 1, or 1.3 percent more than the decennial census count on April 1, 2010. The nation's population grew 0.9 percent during that time, the slowest growth rate since the mid-1940s, the census bureau reported Wednesday.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/12/22/1726448/state-still-among-fastest-growing.html#storylink=cpy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
North Carolina has remained among the fastest-growing states in the nation during the economic downturn, adding an estimated 121,000 residents in the 15 months that ended in July, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.The state had an estimated 9,656,401 residents on July 1, or 1.3 percent more than the decennial census count on April 1, 2010. The nation's population grew 0.9 percent during that time, the slowest growth rate since the mid-1940s, the census bureau reported Wednesday. Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/12/22/1726448/state-still-among-fastest-growing.html#storylink=cpy
]]

Wow! That's amazing news! Do they have the population info for the city of Charlotte??

It is remarkable that NC continues to gain more people than all but four states despite a historic recession that has slowed immigration throughout the nation and internationally, and NC has the fourth highest unemployment rate in the country. At this rate, NC will exceed 10 million people by 2015 even with a lower growth rate. It reflects just how desireable of a place NC is to live when its growth does not depend on a robust economy.

• 1 month later...

To go a little of topic but has anyone checked out the bing video of the east coast at night from space station. I just wanted to comment that the big three plus one metros are easily spotted as the time lapse video moves up the coast. Most notably is the distinct 85 corridor that now actually can be seen starting from RDU all the way GSP. The Triad doesnt show up as big as RDU although they are close in population but I must admit Charlotte shows up nicely. As for the plus one comment Fayettville certainly surprises with a nice glow just south of Raleigh. I cant get the link to work but the video is up now on msn.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

North Carolina seems to be still a magnet for state-to-state migration according to recent census data:

Of those moving between states, Texas (109,887), Florida (61,395), Colorado (41,501) and North Carolina (40,144) gained the most residents.

265, 291 people moved to NC with 225, 147 moving out of the state resulting in the gain mentioned above.  

On an interesting comparison, we have almost double the net gain of Georgia who we are not far behind as far as overall population.    and Michigan has a loss of 47K in people.  

I see in the next few years us passing them altogether if we maintain our population gain advantage. 

Source:  http://www.governing.com/blogs/by-the-numbers/state-migration-mobility-data-2010-census-map.html

^Michigan doesn't even seem to rank in state population moving to North Carolina though apparently almost 3,500 of our residents moved there!

Florida, Virgina, South Carolina, and New York (in that order) are sending us the most people.

Edit:  Just to point out that the numbers are based on 2011 data.  2012 data won't be for another year or so - so you may be right about Michigan people in the last year.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NC has one of the fastest growing cities and 2 of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.  Amazing that the state is keeping up with Texas given the the high unemployment numbers.  I guess this means NC has officially moved from an agrarian state to a more urbanized one.

NC has one of the fastest growing cities and 2 of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.  Amazing that the state is keeping up with Texas given the the high unemployment numbers.  I guess this means NC has officially moved from an agrarian state to a more urbanized one.

I think that already happened some time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived