Gay Life in Columbia

dusty87

I was wondering what others think of gay life in Columbia. I'm gay myself and although I've made plenty of friends(and boyfriends :thumbsup: ) and been somewhat involved in the gay community I always find it a bit underwhelming, especially the night life nowadays. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering what others think of gay life in Columbia. I'm gay myself and although I've made plenty of friends(and boyfriends :thumbsup: ) and been somewhat involved in the gay community I always find it a bit underwhelming, especially the night life nowadays. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I am from Columbia but have lived in Charlotte for several years now. I think the gay scene in Charlotte is small now...I can't imagine going back to Columbia.....everyone knows each other and/or has hooked up with each other....WAY too small

I am from Columbia but have lived in Charlotte for several years now. I think the gay scene in Charlotte is small now...I can't imagine going back to Columbia.....everyone knows each other and/or has hooked up with each other....WAY too small

Haha this has a small grain of truth to it. I recently met a couple of guys who knew who I was because of my ex boyfriend who I broke up with back in June, but I had no idea who they were as I've only lived in Columbia now for two years. There's also only two gay bars currently open, well three if you count a lesbian club. My favorite bar which I went to went I first moved here two years ago closed back in the summer of 2010 so sad.

Gay pride back in September did get a huge turnout that I was impressed by though.

Haven't dealt with any homophobia here yet, although when I'm outside of my own social circles I do hear rude things and sense feelings of disgust especially at my parents' church but that is to be expected. Then again, I tend not to venture outside Richland County too much. ^_^

When I was in my twenties and thirties it seemed that nearly every gay man just had to go out dancing, clubbing and drinking, to see what was going on and to be seen. No one went home until at least 2 a.m. That scene isn't what it used to be, here or anywhere from what I understand. Back then lots of people used bars to hook up. Now lots of people hook up online. The ones hooking up online would be still packing bars if technology hadn't changed that.

growingup15, Columbia isn't homophobic. Ask the mayor and city council.

When I was in my twenties and thirties it seemed that nearly every gay man just had to go out dancing, clubbing and drinking, to see what was going on and to be seen. No one went home until at least 2 a.m. That scene isn't what it used to be, here or anywhere from what I understand. Back then lots of people used bars to hook up. Now lots of people hook up online. The ones hooking up online would be still packing bars if technology hadn't changed that.

growingup15, Columbia isn't homophobic. Ask the mayor and city council.

oh ive had a meeting with the city council and the mayor before.

I believe your right. i guess im just lucky to find homophobic people >.> i hate it though. because i live with my parents and they are homophobic. i told them i was bisexual and they flipped there tops. i mean i guess i just find the wrong people at the wrong time.

Archived