2012 Wishlist

goodbye

2011 was a solid year. Quite a few of our wishes were at least partially fulfilled.

During 2012 I would like to see...

* Serious progress on the I-85/I-385 interchange plans

* A new plan to "clean up" the neglected I-85 corridor in Greenville County.

* Progress on streetscaping throughout downtown.

* Progress toward implementation of the Stone Avenue master plan.

* A new high quality entertainment venue in downtown.

* Construction on Reedy Square

* Major plans to redevelop the entire County Square property into a high quality urban village.

*Serious plans to lure or start a top quality collegiate institute for the Arts in downtown.

* A large-scale employer relocate to new Class A office space in downtown.

* Start of construction on The Pinnacle on Main.

* Continued growth within the local cycling community and greater public support for cycling as a mode of transportation.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume this wish list is restricted to the City of Greenville, so I will stick to it.

Bass Pro Shops announces plans to open its long awaited Greenville store. The national outdoor lifestyle chain boosts the local economy.

Magnolia Park lines up major tenants, including one that will be its capstone, for its fourth and final phase of development. One of these possible tenants is Bass Pro Shops, which negotiations are rumored to be ongoing and positive.

Finals plans are unveiled for the 85/385 interchange reconstruction.

Dining options are balanced downtown with local and national eateries. Fuddrucker's return is always welcomed.

A study to improve the South Academy Street/Easley Bridge Road corridor convenes.

A taller highrise is considered to replace the soon to be demolished Scott Towers on Augusta Street. The new structure should be fifteen levels with underground parking and caters to lodging or residential potential.

A supermarket returns to Augusta Street, perferring near Lewis Plaza.

1. New mixed-use development comes to Church Street

2. Riverplace moves forward with new construction

3. CU-ICAR makes major jobs/investment announcement. New Construction.

4. The downtown apartment boom continues

5. Reedy Square breaks ground

6. Stone Avenue plans move forward in some significant capacity.

7. Annexations add new residents to the City's limits

8. More road diets/bike lane implementation

• 11 months later...
1. New mixed-use development comes to Church Street

2. Riverplace moves forward with new construction

3. CU-ICAR makes major jobs/investment announcement. New Construction.

4. The downtown apartment boom continues

5. Reedy Square breaks ground

6. Stone Avenue plans move forward in some significant capacity.

7. Annexations add new residents to the City's limits

8. More road diets/bike lane implementation

Well, numbers 1,4,7,8 had progress.   I was hoping #5 would happen too. It will be on my 2013 list for sure.   

2011 was a solid year. Quite a few of our wishes were at least partially fulfilled.During 2012 I would like to see...* Serious progress on the I-85/I-385 interchange plans* A new plan to "clean up" the neglected I-85 corridor in Greenville County.* Progress on streetscaping throughout downtown.* Progress toward implementation of the Stone Avenue master plan.* A new high quality entertainment venue in downtown.* Construction on Reedy Square* Major plans to redevelop the entire County Square property into a high quality urban village.*Serious plans to lure or start a top quality collegiate institute for the Arts in downtown.* A large-scale employer relocate to new Class A office space in downtown.* Start of construction on The Pinnacle on Main.* Continued growth within the local cycling community and greater public support for cycling as a mode of transportation.
2012 was a fairly successful year. The new TD Stage easily fulfills the wish for a high quality entertainment venue. The I-85/I-385 interchange plans have been publicly unveiled and should be a major improvement to that area. The B-cycle announcement bolstered the city's already strong alliance with the growing local cycling community. The addition of Certus Bank and numerous smaller employers to Downtown is positively affecting the city's economic landscape. Despite a few construction flaws, the new Church Street corridor enhancements have transformed a blighted area into a district that is poised for explosive redevelopment. The sale of County Square was rumored yet again, keeping hope alive that one day an attractive mixed-use, high tech village may provide something completely unique in Greenville's Downtown.

Archived