Crime

all2neat

Holden: BRAVE leading to more arrests, less violence

The Baton Rouge Area Violence Elimination program, which began last summer, already has led to more than 300 drug arrests and contributed to a 60% drop in the monthly homicide rate, Mayor Kip Holden says. Law enforcement officers involved in the program also have seized 46 handguns and assault weapons and confiscated more than $1 million worth of drugs, he says. Holden gave an update on the BRAVE initiative as part of his annual state of the city-parish address to the Rotary Club of Baton Rouge today. During his speech, Holden tried to emphasize the connections between the various issues that affect the quality of life in the parish, such as blight elimination, crime prevention and economic development. A listing of other topics Holden touched on during his address today is available in the full story here. —David Jacobs

Businessreport.com

• 4 months later...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police: Family attacked for being in the "wrong neighborhood".

http://m.wafb.com/ms/p/a3/57/view.m?id=124279&storyId=22240991&news=Top%20Stories&news2=Main

Just another assault in Baton Rouge....what makes this a little unique is the motivation behind it. I'm only posting it because I've heard about it from Atlanta. It could potentially be in regional or even national media channels in the near future, which could potentially be a very bad thing for BRPD and the city.

A man was attacked for wearing a pink shirt according to the article, which in some circles will raise questions. The attacker was arrested and charged with second degree battery.

Two additional attackers beat the man's wife and child and were not arrested according to WAFB...only ticketed.

Police are investigating the possibility that this could be a hate crime.

Moore was quoted as saying that one of the perps may be charged with a hate crime and as a habitual offender.

2 of the 3 attackers were issued summons instead of being booked with second degree assault, which I think is worth being upset over. I think BRPD will have to answer for their judgement on those charges. Attack a 14 year old and her mother into unconsciousness and you aren't even booked.....but get into a bar fight as an LSU ball player and they'll pull out all the stops.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been about a month now and neither the mayor or the police chief have done anything about the "walk away assault" and possible hate crime occuring in Baton Rouge last month. I'll remember to bring this up in a very loud way when an elected official from town attempts to run for Lt Govenor or other statewide office.

I honestly can't believe anyone can beat a 14 year old unconscious and not be booked. That doesn't happen everywhere.

Baton Rouge can claim victory for paying IBM to move downtown, but deep down looks like a backwards city that's unwilling to change and unwelcoming to many. Try not to complain when more people choose to buy homes in the suburbs or in other metros altogether.

I think my wife and I are about done with br. Even the suburbs kind of suck. None of the leaders have any will to fix the problems.

My wife insisted that we leave Baton Rouge after a crime related incident and the encounters with the police department that handled the case.

About 7 months later she choose a position Atlanta over the same at OLOL in Baton Rouge, and I took a transfer. We now live in Roswell, GA and couldn't be happier.

Good point

The 14 year old was bruised up...it was the wife that was unconscious...one day the thug(s) are gonna run into somebody with a concealed gun permit and get their brains blasted into the street! We shall see...

The system is broke...just today on WAFB a lawsuit is being filed for death-row inmates at Angola prison; complaining AC is not working and fans are blowing hot air...temps near 100 degrees...they are uncomfortable...did they think the person being strangled, shot, raped, drowned, etc...may have been uncomfortable just before dying??

http://www.wafb.com/story/22556822/federal-lawsuit-claims-inmates-endure-extreme-heat

Thanks for clarifying. The perp responsible for the beating the wife was also issued a summons and not booked. Naturally, the mayor's office is keeping silent.

You might as well just tell people to move to the suburbs. I sincerely hope that more parts of East Baton Rouge incorporates into their own city and installs a real police force to go with it- one that doesn't target restaurant businesses for DUI checkpoints.

As far as the death row inmates.....I don't care about their discomfort.

Thanks for clarifying. The perp responsible for the beating the wife was also issued a summons and not booked. Naturally, the mayor's office is keeping silent.

You might as well just tell people to move to the suburbs. I sincerely hope that more parts of East Baton Rouge incorporates into their own city and installs a real police force to go with it- one that doesn't target restaurant businesses for DUI checkpoints.

As far as the death row inmates.....I don't care about their discomfort.

From what I understood...the thug loser that did this could get life in prison being an habitual offender also Dickerson, the main alleged attacker, reportedly is a registered sex offender. He has now been charged with failing to register his new address under sex-offender status.This ain't going away quietly...

Despite public pleas that Dickerson be booked with a hate crime, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III has said he is strongly considering charging Dickerson as a habitual offender because he would face a harsher sentence — possibly life behind bars.

Baton Rouge police did not book Dickerson with a hate crime.

An FBI hate crime manual for law enforcement notes an “important distinction” must be made in reporting hate crimes. Just because a suspect is biased against a victim, the manual says, does not necessarily mean a hate crime has occurred. “Rather, the offender’s criminal act must have been motivated, in whole or in part, by his or her bias,” the manual states.

Moore said his office has not made a decision yet on how it would charge Dickerson. “It’s gonna be some time before we eventually make a decision,” Moore said.

Moore also said he was waiting for the FBI and U.S. Attorney Don Cazayoux to decide whether they will charge Dickerson with a hate crime

http://theadvocate.com/home/6005552-125/br-police-chief-says-officers

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/05/fbi-called-into-hate-crime-targeting-whites/#BrWvkXeCOOg7l55S.99

Wonder if areas Shenandoah, Inniswold, Old Jefferson would consolidate make their own separate town east of I-10/south of I-12 (boundary for proposed break-away school district)?? Oak Hills Place & Village St.George are on the west side of I-10 and not part of this...

Cool to see the Out-of-State posters here from coast-to-coast...that there is still even an interest in Baton Rouge like that still says something about this place... that's special enough.

Incorporation is the way that Southeast BR will find the justification to create their own school district. It will happen sooner or later. For now, it might be fun to speculate on what they would name that community if/when it does incorporate. 

The justification is there, even the opposition knows that.

Cool to see the Out-of-State posters here from coast-to-coast...that there is still even an interest in Baton Rouge like that still says something about this place... that's special enough.

If the federal government would take initiative to improve our corrections system it would do a world of difference for all Americans. We would probably be the last state to accept change being that we have a rich prison industry but this "lock 'em up and let em free" system isn't working. It's unethical to describe a corrections system that doesn't correct the criminal mindset.

Cajun. I am strongly considering Atlanta. Based on research Ive estimated total cost of living to be about 5% higher. Does that seem close? My job on average pays 15 to 20% higher and the gap widens more as I would get into management.

If the federal government would take initiative to improve our corrections system it would do a world of difference for all Americans. We would probably be the last state to accept change being that we have a rich prison industry but this "lock 'em up and let em free" system isn't working. It's unethical to describe a corrections system that doesn't correct the criminal mindset.

yeah....it's the prison system that is causing problems.

ha

Cajun. I am strongly considering Atlanta. Based on research Ive estimated total cost of living to be about 5% higher. Does that seem close? My job on average pays 15 to 20% higher and the gap widens more as I would get into management.

Let's try to keep this on topic, send Cajun a private message instead.

yeah....it's the prison system that is causing problems.

ha

Have you not seen the mayhem going on in Orleans Parish prison? I usually don't expect a well written, thought out response from you but this is simply bungling.

Archived