Crime

all2neat

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder, can one "correct" a person, when they've been wrongdoing longer than outside efforts to stop them? Wouldn't their habits be too far ingrained??..... But really I don't think their is anything we can do because ignorance is good to the ignorant person and for business and business is good for the government so I really think ( especially business) encourages (certain types) of ignorance and that along with peer pressure and poor upbringing are hard to overcome.....I think they need to condense some of the "important" subjects in school and have etiquette, citizenry, and general life skills classes.... And parenting classes because the way sone parents treat their children I see why they turn into little delinquents....Like one of my friends say, it's all just a sin and a shame.

I wonder, can one "correct" a person, when they've been wrongdoing longer than outside efforts to stop them? Wouldn't their habits be too far ingrained??..... But really I don't think their is anything we can do because ignorance is good to the ignorant person and for business and business is good for the government so I really think ( especially business) encourages (certain types) of ignorance and that along with peer pressure and poor upbringing are hard to overcome.....I think they need to condense some of the "important" subjects in school and have etiquette, citizenry, and general life skills classes.... And parenting classes because the way sone parents treat their children I see why they turn into little delinquents....Like one of my friends say, it's all just a sin and a shame.

Why don't we implement a rehabilitation system for people with drug convictions? Why don't we offer capable inmates entrance into a program in which they complete college courses and are released when they receive a degree and/or certain certification which would qualify them for a few more jobs.

I also believe the high school curriculum leaves us with too much to learn and too much to forget.

Why don't we implement a rehabilitation system for people with drug convictions? Why don't we offer capable inmates entrance into a program in which they complete college courses and are released when they receive a degree and/or certain certification which would qualify them for a few more jobs.

I also believe the high school curriculum leaves us with too much to learn and too much to forget.

Why? Because we live in the greatest country on earth where a man or woman has limitless possibilities. People cross desert wastelands just to get here and enjoy the countrys welfare system. If a citizen needs someone to hold their hand to stop them from smoking crack and then robbing a gas station instead of staying in school and learning a trade then that person deserves to rot in the American prison system. People make their own choices and that's that.

Why? Because we live in the greatest country on earth where a man or woman has limitless possibilities. People cross desert wastelands just to get here and enjoy the countrys welfare system. If a citizen needs someone to hold their hand to stop them from smoking crack and then robbing a gas station instead of staying in school and learning a trade then that person deserves to rot in the American prison system. People make their own choices and that's that.

You sound like a guy who grew up with loads of opportunity and nothing but rich friends. Just saying, what you described isn't reality.

Ask J.K Rowling.

Antrell. My mom made 3.85 an hour to raise my brother and I in the early 90's and I don't disagree with IJM3 at all. The welfare system told my mom she mase too much and she'd be better off quitting her job. She didn't and worked her way up to managing over 50 employees for a major retirement company. People only have limits if they let themselves get held back. Its up to the kids to stay in school and go to college. I was able to qualify for grants. There is assistance to get off the system if one chooses.

^ The welfare system guidelines or an individual working at the welfare office?

I think that's some good ideas Antrell....It very easy to say one can do ___, when the person talking has done it but under different conditions the difficulty level probably changes. A person engaging in destructive behaviors who had grown up to think they are perceived as worth less than an average person(whatever that may be) is not just going to make 360 turn around because they see a public service announcement.... Now I know this'll sound extremely childish(I actually think they purposely only put the best morals in toddler media but that's a whole other discussion) but I think a lot of people in general just need "real" love.

You sound like a guy who grew up with loads of opportunity and nothing but rich friends. Just saying, what you described isn't reality.

Ask J.K Rowling.

Yes, because expecting people to not smoke crack or rob gas stations is sooooooo elitist of me. And why would I care what a British author thinks? Pfffttt.

Maybe we could afford something like that if the system didn't have to cut millions of welfare checks every month. 

It's the reason our education system is falling apart. It's the reason our infrastructure is crumbling. It's the reason for nearly all of our problems. 

Go to one of the riverboats downtown after the first or the fifteenth of the month if you want to see where all of America's money is going, instead of funding drug or mental health rehabilitation systems. 

What we have here is learned helplessness. 

Maybe we could afford something like that if the system didn't have to cut millions of welfare checks every month. 

It's the reason our education system is falling apart. It's the reason our infrastructure is crumbling. It's the reason for nearly all of our problems. 

Go to one of the riverboats downtown after the first or the fifteenth of the month if you want to see where all of America's money is going, instead of funding drug or mental health rehabilitation systems. 

All of our problems are caused by welfare?  

Antrell. My mom made 3.85 an hour to raise my brother and I in the early 90's and I don't disagree with IJM3 at all. The welfare system told my mom she mase too much and she'd be better off quitting her job. She didn't and worked her way up to managing over 50 employees for a major retirement company. People only have limits if they let themselves get held back. Its up to the kids to stay in school and go to college. I was able to qualify for grants. There is assistance to get off the system if one chooses.

I am not advocating the quality of the welfare system. You can't expect most kids to stay in school when they don't have food to eat and their uncle is selling dope and driving a Mercedes.

^ The welfare system guidelines or an individual working at the welfare office?

I think that's some good ideas Antrell....It very easy to say one can do ___, when the person talking has done it but under different conditions the difficulty level probably changes. A person engaging in destructive behaviors who had grown up to think they are perceived as worth less than an average person(whatever that may be) is not just going to make 360 turn around because they see a public service announcement.... Now I know this'll sound extremely childish(I actually think they purposely only put the best morals in toddler media but that's a whole other discussion) but I think a lot of people in general just need "real" love.

The bold section is exactly my point. Just because a person walks into the classroom and talks for 30mins telling them how they made it isn't going to effect them when he goes home to empty cupboards or a mother strung out on pills and alcohol. It's the equivalent of taking a stray dog into a house and expecting it not to ruin the carpet.

Yes, because expecting people to not smoke crack or rob gas stations is sooooooo elitist of me. And why would I care what a British author thinks? Pfffttt.

Everyone isn't "itsjustme3". Some people don't have basic morals and when they need to eat, they do whatever they can. It's natural.

J.K. Rowling is a product of a welfare system,  the exception, yes, yet still a product of investment.

We manage to afford housing tens of thousands of inmates for silly offenses, I'm sure we can find money to rehabilitate citizens with potential to contribute to society, and not by working at Burger King.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Welfare is the reason the state deemed it necessary to cripple our higher education with hundreds of millions of dollars in cuts? It's the reason why we have a terrible sewer, road, freeway, and justice system?

I'm sure Jindal will find a way to convince his followers that rehabilitating our looked-down-upon citizens is somehow detrimental to the American way of life.

I am not advocating the quality of the welfare system. You can't expect most kids to stay in school when they don't have food to eat and their uncle is selling dope and driving a Mercedes.

The bold section is exactly my point. Just because a person walks into the classroom and talks for 30mins telling them how they made it isn't going to effect them when he goes home to empty cupboards or a mother strung out on pills and alcohol. It's the equivalent of taking a stray dog into a house and expecting it not to ruin the carpet.

Everyone isn't "itsjustme3". Some people don't have basic morals and when they need to eat, they do whatever they can. It's natural.

J.K. Rowling is a product of a welfare system,  the exception, yes, yet still a product of investment.

We manage to afford housing tens of thousands of inmates for silly offenses, I'm sure we can find money to rehabilitate citizens with potential to contribute to society, and not by working at Burger King.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Welfare is the reason the state deemed it necessary to cripple our higher education with hundreds of millions of dollars in cuts? It's the reason why we have a terrible sewer, road, freeway, and justice system?

I'm sure Jindal will find a way to convince his followers that rehabilitating our looked-down-upon citizens is somehow detrimental to the American way of life.

If you don't have money to fund higher education, infrastructure, etc, you have to make cuts. We don't have money for those things because such a huge portion of revenue is handed out in the form of social welfare. 

It amazes me how few people realize just how big of a burden welfare is. 

If you don't have money to fund higher education, infrastructure, etc, you have to make cuts. We don't have money for those things because such a huge portion of revenue is handed out in the form of social welfare. 

So the solution to people being on welfare is to raise tuition and slash higher education? I don't see any of these politicians taking pay cuts themselves.

It amazes me how few people realize that cutting education isn't the answer.

What does education have to do with the damaging effects welfare has done to this country. It amazes me how some people can't see the obvious.

That's my question. What has education done to the government to deserve these cuts? Fix welfare, don't cut the way in which our world enriches itself.

A conservative will blame welfare while a liberal will blame the military-industrial complex. Nuff said.

I think the discussion should just be left at that. Why are we talking politics on a forum to talk about development? 

To me welfare should be used as a tool to empower people to better themselves. If the recipient does not have a high school diploma or ged then they should be required to enroll in a program to get a ged. They must finish in a year or they are booted off the system forever. Once they have a ged they have a year to find work or enroll in college. They have 5 years to complete a bachelor's or 2.5 for an associates degree. If they don't finish they are booted off the system forever. Once they graduate they get a year to find a job. A year after graduation they will automatically be booted off the system.

If they are convicted of a felony or arreated for drug possession or dui they are immediately booted off the system.

Cajun. I am strongly considering Atlanta. Based on research Ive estimated total cost of living to be about 5% higher. Does that seem close? My job on average pays 15 to 20% higher and the gap widens more as I would get into management.

Hard to say. Inflation for consumer goods has spiked a couple of times since 2010.

I'd say that housing is about 15% to 20% more considering both value and property taxes, but most consumer products are pretty close to what you see in south Louisiana (within 5%).

I'll say this....there is no suburb in Louisiana as nice as the Roswell/Alpharetta area in Ga. Old Metarie and old Mandeville are the only ones that come close. I'm within 20 minutes of my office and I'm near everything I need. Good selection of great homes, plenty of shopping, and lots of recreation. Downside is traffic.

I've lived in Houston too....still visit family there frequently. Cost of living in ATL is comparable to Houston. In my honest opinion, Atlanta is prettier but the people in Houston are much friendlier and classier. It's probably the friendliest big city I've ever seen. I'd give Houston the edge in restaurant and dining because I love good Mexican food.

You can't "fix" welfare other than taking it away from those who have been on it for more than a year. Likewise stop paying people to breed for government and state money.

The great society program was a major contributor to the breakdown of urban life IMO.

Force bussing was a disaster as well. We can't discuss redevelopment without addressing the reason the working middle class flee the city- and that's up there on the list. I'd argue that education has become the civil rights issue of our generation.

You can't "fix" welfare other than taking it away from those who have been on it for more than a year. Likewise stop paying people to breed for government and state money.

Some people would call that a fix.

A conservative will blame welfare while a liberal will blame the military-industrial complex. Nuff said.

I think the discussion should just be left at that. Why are we talking politics on a forum to talk about development? 

True.

It's a good discussion that hasn't gotten out of hand. Crime is politics.

To me welfare should be used as a tool to empower people to better themselves. If the recipient does not have a high school diploma or ged then they should be required to enroll in a program to get a ged. They must finish in a year or they are booted off the system forever. Once they have a ged they have a year to find work or enroll in college. They have 5 years to complete a bachelor's or 2.5 for an associates degree. If they don't finish they are booted off the system forever. Once they graduate they get a year to find a job. A year after graduation they will automatically be booted off the system.

If they are convicted of a felony or arreated for drug possession or dui they are immediately booted off the system.

Kicking them off the system forever after one year of trying to graduate from a GED program is pretty harsh. I like that they would be required to get a GED, but definitely not a bachelors degree. They should have to attend some type of technical college to learn a trade.

By drug possession you mean if they receive a summons for a marijuana seed, then they would be denied help forever?

Should marijuana even be illegal?

Why lock people up for possessing a natural substance that causes no real physical harm?

Why not legalize possesion and tax/regulate sale and production?

In any case, I think crime in places like Baton Rouge are perpetuated by a public education system that's absolute crap and poverty-fighting federal programs that undermine the role of the male in the American household. In the poor areas (especially in low income black neighborhoods in BR), the number of children born out of wedlock is astounding. If your parents don't care, and your teachers don't care......there's pretty much no chance of breaking the cycle.

I honestly thought vouchers would offer a way out for those kids. It's not fair for them to be in the same class with a bunch of thugs and an incompetent teacher just because their parents can't afford to move to a nicer area.

One of the reasons you are seeing the middle class leave Baton Rouge is the quality of public schools.

You can't honestly discuss growth and development without discussing public services like education because they play such a huge role on the demand side of real estate.

Archived