The states big plans for Hartford

The Voice of Reason

The pop up park at 777 mainwas fantastic!

walked through it on Saturday.  was downtown for that envisionfest thing.  Im went late to missed most of it really but we were on our way to dinner really after hitting the homebrew store.   so, it was like 5:30

anyways, the city was nice and busy.  lots and lots of Michigan fans walking around and then the whole fest thing happening.   I bet they thought it was all for them HA

anyways i am glad there was alot of out of towners to see the city in a good light.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things...

I got an e-mail from CT DOT regarding I-84

They are officially taking up that project.  It mentions community feedback bla bla, and included a link to a web page for the project.

So, it seems as though this is happening, so thats great.  I will stay involved to the end on this one and am intersted to see what can happen.

Second. 

I have read about a few projects having plans and stuff with city hall, but they have not been communicated through the planning process... 

On a random side note, there is an opening at the CRDA

Accounting analyst.   I am qualified, and would love to work there, just dont want to leave UTC and dont want what I assume is a pay cut.

http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/Accounting_Analyst_Job_Posting-71979-1.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/massive-makeover-planned-for-state-office-building-in-hartford/

I take this as welcome news.

I absolutely love that building!  the obvious issue here is the cost.  at 175 million it is damn expensive and the state could instead build a brand new 50 story office tower for that.

The thing is though that this building is historic and that has value to me.  preserving this building and improving it to modern interior specs is a service that needs to happen.  No private developer would be able to afford to rennovate it into apartments or anything else, so its best to do this as a state innitiative.

They sound like they are eliminating the interior courtyard, I dobnt mind this so much as they will surely put a nice class roof over it and make for good light and additional useful space.

the building holds 900 workers now and will accomodate 1800 wehn done.  Thats great news because it creates better use of a great building and a better asset for the state... again the cost...

The biggest win is the parking garage.  will be interesting to see if they tear down the one on buckingham or if they do something with the surface lot to the east.

either one is an improvement in a big way.  that garage is god aweful right next to the park that used to be an office building...

there is an opportunity to solve the capital district parking issues with a large garage and it seems the state has been open to more intelligent street friendly design  maybe even retail... good+ good=great

a quote

"The project could have implications for the wider neighborhood as well. It is possible that either the parking garage or the office building could have retail uses. IQuilt, a plan to make the city more walkable in area from Capitol building to the river, also has targeted the area east of the office building for recreational use."

• 3 weeks later...

i think I might have offended him once at a meeting :)

it was either him or his predecessor, I am hoping predecessor because I agree he is much more proactive.

but during the once city one plan thinng I stood up and plamed the cities wait and see attitude on loosing ING and that the city should ensure that there are developable lots with zoning in place for a variety of projects, from housing to corporate HQ. 

also that zoning be changed to alloow far less parking for residential units.

I absolutly embarassed whoever it was and innitiated some backpedding when I followed it up.

I do like Deller so hope it wasnt him

The planned I-84 reconstruction, the potential realignment of the railroad to the opposite side of I-84 and the state's plans of consolidating and relocating employees presents an opportunity for the expansion of Bushnell Park to what would seem to be it's natural borders. It would require the demolition of a few State owned buildings and a parking garage but I think it's at least worth a thought. The new borders of the park would be Asylum street to the north, Broad street to the west and Capitol ave to the south. Along with the expansion of the park I envision getting rid of the parking area on the north side of the capitol building and turning Trinity street (from the intersection of Elm street to Jewel Street) into a pedestrian and bike lane only. This idea is probably unrealistic but it's just something to provoke a little thought and conversation about the future of the park. Why not expand to the West and East (iQuilt) at the same time?post-4174-0-90677700-1386951339_thumb.jppost-4174-0-32205100-1386951360_thumb.jp

My take on what Hartford needs:

Commuter rail service

Two Rails between Hartford and Waterbury

Two Rails between Hartford and Springfield with a stop at the airport

Two rails between Hartford and New Haven

Two rails between Hartford and  Manchester

Build a substantial station in Manchester for people out east to board heading west to Hartford

Move the Hartford train station to the parking lots north of 84 and build it out to become a major transportation center and distribution point for workers into the city.

I know what I suggest could probably not be accomplished for a generation. But, with commuter rail service like we currently have (none), Hartford is incredibly limited, regardless of how much money is invested and regardless of Bradley’s growth and success. Granted, it is not just one thing that will make all the difference for Hartford, but this I believe: if you want to know the main reason the burbs get all the office development, it’s the lack of a commuter rail system. Tell me which is the largest city without commuter rail service? Is it too late for rail service and office growth in Hartford?

• 5 months later...

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-55farmington-move-in-20140516,0,1453362.story

I couldnt find where else the state relo was posted.  so this is where I went :/

Anyways, I am glad that the move is begining.

With these first ~500 there will be some immediate observable differences.  Most are coming from just down the road, so they likely all have habits already in terms of lunch and walking based on their sigurney st address, but here thre are a few more walkable options that should do well. 

with it full I bet places like black eyed sallys will even do additional business as folks walk into downtown

Cant wait for CT river plaza!  thats the biggest game changer because it vacates more buildings that will then become housing conversions.

Archived