Its Just Dave (Dave Luna) Passed Away

smeagolsfree

I needed to let everyone on the forum, especially the older long time posters that our long time poster and friend Dave Luna (its just dave) passed away yesterday. I don’t have all the phone numbers or emails for all of the folks that knew Dave, so this is the fastest way to get the word out.

Details will be forthcoming but Spring Hill funeral home in Madison is handling the arrangements and I think visitation will be tomorrow.

I for one will miss Dave greatly and have considered him one of our best friends on the site. Thankfully Dave was able to join us at a meet last month and I am glad we were all able to see him one last time.

Dave, you will be MISSED my friend.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Dave. He was my friend. I will miss his insight, and his enthusiasm for the built environment and Nashville as a city. I once had the pleasure of going to his home and seeing his garden. Dave took pride in his garden just like he took pride in his city. Dave was full of humor, and I will miss our drives around the city looking at all of the development. We used to pile into his VW and cruise the city streets on sunny Saturday afternoons. I will always remember the day we climbed inside the smokestack on Rolling Mill Hill. I will miss his stories of old East Nashville.

That is all I have for right now. I am emotional at his passing. I send my condolences to his friend Ricky and his family.

Rest well my friend. See you on the other side someday.

John

Although I check in on urbanplanet from time to time to catch up on all of the amazing things happening in my hometown, it has been quite awhile since I've posted here, and it probably would have been awhile longer, until I saw this post.

I am shocked to hear of the passing of Dave. I never met Dave in person or even know what he looked like, but I feel like I knew him personally because of how kind, genuine, intelligent, humble, passionate and hilarious he was. He was a truly wonderful individual who I'm sure had a positive impact on everyone he came into contact with. Dave, you will truly be missed. Rest in peace, buddy.

Friends,

As Ron and John know, for some odd reason I cannot access UP via my personal computer. So tonight, I write from a computer in the Encore club room. And it is with sadness that I write.

Dave Luna was a decent, honorable man. His passion for his hometown, Nashville, was infectious. He loved the city and seeing it change. And, my, did he see great change during his more than 50 years here.

Dave was a key member of the UP Nashville chapter team from about 2005 to 2009. And though we didn't see him much the past two to three years, he was with us in spirit and via his occasional board post and meeting attendance.

My best memory of Dave is a drive we took to Chattanooga. I recall it was in about 2006. We saw Hank and were joined by some other UP folks. Dave and I had a great time.

We will miss you, Dave Luna. Rest in peace, buddy.

WW

Friends,

As Ron and John know, for some odd reason I cannot access UP via my personal computer. So tonight, I write from a computer in the Encore club room. And it is with sadness that I write.

Dave Luna was a decent, honorable man. His passion for his hometown, Nashville, was infectious. He loved the city and seeing it change. And, my, did he see great change during his more than 50 years here.

Dave was a key member of the UP Nashville chapter team from about 2005 to 2009. And though we didn't see him much the past two to three years, he was with us in spirit and via his occasional board post and meeting attendance.

My best memory of Dave is a drive we took to Chattanooga. I recall it was in about 2006. We saw Hank and were joined by some other UP folks. Dave and I had a great time.

We will miss you, Dave Luna. Rest in peace, buddy.

WW

+1

Dave will be truly missed. I'll never forget the tour that he gave me of the Haysboro village area in Inglewood that is just barely accessible under an overpass beneath Briley Parkway. I guess that it is technically in Madison. He shared with me some really interesting perspectives and memories of Inglewood as well as other topics. Of course, Dave and I had the Inglewood versus East Nashville rivalry going, and we would occasionally run into each other at our respective Krogers (mine is Eastland, his is Inglewood) and we would joke that we were there to for a change in trashy peoplewatching.

I'm shocked at the loss of Dave and my heart goes out to his family, friends and neighbors.

I am shocked as well. Although I am not a resident of Nashville, I have read many of his thorough and thoughtful post here on UrbanPlanet. He was a true treasure and a great benefit to the Nashville. His insight will be missed. My sincere condolances to his family and friends during this time of bereavement.

From the Charlotte forum, Our condolences to your friend and fellow contributor...

Thanks for your message. Dave was a beloved member of the forum. Our first forum meet was in 2005 and it was Dave, Myself, Justin, Rural King, Kheldane, and two or three other people. We started our monthly meetings not soon after and almost 7 years later, we are still going strong.

He will be missed.

John

I am shocked to hear of the passing of Dave. I never met Dave in person or even know what he looked like, but I feel like I knew him personally because of how kind, genuine, intelligent, humble, passionate and hilarious he was. He was a truly wonderful individual who I'm sure had a positive impact on everyone he came into contact with. Dave, you will truly be missed. Rest in peace, buddy.

I feel the same. I always made an effort to read every word of Dave's posts.. they were enjoyable, uplifting, passionate. He seemed to genuinely love Nashville. I truly wish I could have met Dave in person and hear his stories. He will be missed, no doubt.

I just can't believe the news. Alana and I are absolutely heartbroken. Dave was such a genuinely kind and caring human being and Nashville has lost one of its very best citizens.

I'll never forget Dave reminiscing about how things used to be. He'd always crack that sly grin recalling a fond memory. Among all the discutions of short and tall, walkable, livable, etc., Dave never lost sight of what was really important about our city, it's wonderful people. Dave, you were certainly one.

I don't have a picture of Dave but I do have a one of his pride and joy that I took a few years ago during a post forum meet tour. The perfect chariot for hometown veiwing.

DSCN3579.jpg

God bless you Dave. We will miss you but never forget you.

Skyscapergeek

I spoke to Ricky this evening and he sent me a couple of pictures of Dave for the forum. We are going to really miss Dave’s stories, humor, and knowledge of Nashville.

Thanks Ricky for sharing these pictures of Dave.

Please continue to keep Daves friends and family in your thoughts and prayers.

davidspictures032.jpg

davidspictures031.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just got the link for the obituary from the funeral home. The link is posted below. I am still in shock as is John. If anyone has picture of Dave, please feel free to post them here. I dont have any.

Had breakfast at Casablanca this morning and I seem always to remember Dave and our opportune picture taken shortly before his passing. It is hard to believe it has been a year. I inquired about getting or scanning our picture and the owner advised me he and his partner are splitting up next week and the business is changing hands also that it is likely it would be tossed by the new owner. He offered it to me and I now have it and will keep it until someone else would like it. In the meantime I thought I would post it here for everyone. That was a nice day back in Dec 2011.

Urbanfriends_zps13a14fcf.jpg

Had breakfast at Casablanca this morning and I seem always to remember Dave and our opportune picture taken shortly before his passing. It is hard to believe it has been a year. I inquired about getting or scanning our picture and the owner advised me he and his partner are splitting up next week and the business is changing hands also that it is likely it would be tossed by the new owner. He offered it to me and I now have it and will keep it until someone else would like it. In the meantime I thought I would post it here for everyone. That was a nice day back in Dec 2011.

Urbanfriends_zps13a14fcf.jpg

Which person in the picture is Dave?

Archived