Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest donaltopablo

New Stadium, Convention expansion for NO?

Guest donaltopablo

Governor floats plan to build new N.O. stadium

Updated: Saturday July 24, 2004 5:54PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco has asked Louisiana Superdome and city convention officials to explore the idea of building a new football stadium along with a planned expansion of the New Orleans convention center.

Blanco said she continues to favor renovation of the dome as "the best alternative" the state can provide the New Orleans Saints.

However, Blanco said she had received information that "warrants consideration regarding a potential convention center stadium."

The planned expansion of the city's already massive convention center and a renovated Superdome or new football stadium "are significant capital projects that will require major investments of taxpayer dollars," Blanco said.

"It is in both the state's and the New Orleans area's interest for us to review whether there are ways to get more bang for the taxpayers' buck by combining these projects in some way," she said.

Three years ago, Saints owner Tom Benson asked the state to build a new $450 million stadium. He instead agreed to a state proposal that keeps the NFL team in the Superdome and guarantees the Saints $186 million.

Blanco is interested in combining the convention center and stadium project because land parcels for the convention center have been assembled and are owned by the state, Superdome and convention officials said.

"This is a bold move on the part of the governor," Superdome Commission Chairman Tim Coulon said.

But combining the projects would face numerous obstacles, said Ralph Brennan, chairman of the convention center's board.

"The real issue is where we come up with the money. It's going to be a real challenge," Brennan said.

The $450 million price tag for the convention center expansion is expected to rise because of increased construction and litigation costs.

Constructing both on the same 37-acre site could also be a tight fit. The superdome building is on 10 acres and the entire dome site is 52 acres.

The convention center expansion area, along the Mississippi River, is already congested with traffic from a new Port of New Orleans container terminal, cruise ship passengers, conventioneers, the Warehouse District neighborhood, new apartments and a Super Wal-Mart planned to open this fall.

I think getting rid of the Super Dome would be upsetting to me. I have always loved that place and I am glad that they have decided to renovate it instead.

The superdome cracks me up every time I see it. It looks like a giant alien spaceship that touched down in New Orleans. Hadn't the designers heard of windows?

I do agree that renovations for the existing structure are much smarter than building a whole new stadium (like so many cities are wont to do).

The superdome cracks me up every time I see it.  It looks like a giant alien spaceship that touched down in New Orleans.  Hadn't the designers heard of windows?

I do agree that renovations for the existing structure are much smarter than building a whole new stadium (like so many cities are wont to do).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking it looked more like a giant cooling tower from a nuclear reactor. I think that a new stadium should be built, one that's better suited with the surrounding area. Are there any renderings/design proposals yet?

I despise domes. Everyone gets hurt and its not real football weather. The dome is, no offense, a piece of junk just like the georgia dome. Build a real stadium, ESPECIALLY IN N.O.

I despise domes. Everyone gets hurt and its not real  football weather. The dome is, no offense, a piece of junk just like the georgia dome. Build a real stadium, ESPECIALLY IN N.O.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i AGREE WITH U BREWER BUT I WISH NASHVILLE WOULD HAVE BUILD A DOME SO WE COULD HAVE THE SUPER BOWL AND FINAL FOUR AND BE ABLE TO GET ON URBANPLANET AND BRAG LIKE THOSE JACKSONVILLE FOLKS WHO HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO OFFER..

Oww, my ears. Trust me, Nashvillians brag enough -- they don't need the Super Bowl to add to it ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What u talking about dallas texans, we dont brag were just excited that all...GO NASHVILLE YEAH..

but they do bring in big events...since the superdome was built N.O. has hosted 6 super bowls, 4 mens final fours, and 2 womens final fours, which brought in 100's of millions of dollars into N.O.

it would be used for mardi gras, monster truck ralleys, car shows etc, but it would basically just be sitting in the middle of downtown N.O. unoccupied most of the time.