Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nashwatcher

Connecting the Gulch with Sobro

are there any plans for connecting these two areas in the future?

what could be done?

just thinking a decade out when these two areas are even more developed, it could be useful to have a connector...

The original plan for Gateway Blvd would have connected the two areas, but might have had a negative impact. Or it could have had a good impact. I don't remember why that plan was altered to end at 8th Ave.

I have stated this and stand by it- the next gulch/sobro/12south for Nashville will be the connection between The Gulch and Sobro (which I believe includes the area directly behind the MCC).

I believe this area can be a very unique area characterized not by skyscrapers but by low and mid-rises, similar to what you see in Boston, West Village manhattan, DC, etc... very pedestrian friendly and extremely walkable.

I think that perfect catalyst for this connection is a pedestrian bridge similar to "The Highline" in Chelsea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_%28New_York_City%29

Of course, this is all fantasy on my part, but I think it would be great for this area.

The Chelsea Highline looks like a great alternative. Although it looks better suited for trips by strolling tourists than local commuters. I also read this article today about Smart Growth. It's an interesting take on scaling down density and making approachable neighborhoods. When I think about building a great city from the downtown out, this is the frame of reference I use.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2012/01/what-smart-growth-advocates-get-wrong-about-density/981/