Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin6882

Residence Inn Downtown

54 posts in this topic

Nice. I wonder if the City has lowered the price of the land....

Nice but still would have rather seen a W Hotel or Intercontinental...l

Nice to see another hotel coming downtown. This one is about architecturally on par with the two other major hotels nearby, that is to say, boring at best, ugly at worst. At least it has plenty of ground floor retail space. It will have a vehicular drop off between the hotel and the parking deck, which seems to be about the best we could hope for.

This will be a 154 room hotel, which is not that big. There's plenty of room left downtown for more hotels after this one.

Would anyone happen to know what the other bids were for? What kinda hotel? Perhaps a Kimpton or a Hyatt Regency or a Sofitel?

According to TBJ, Noble proposed a $19 million Hyatt Place hotel and Raleigh Prime proposed a $22 million Hilton Garden Inn.

Hmmm... I suppose type hotels are needed also. So, in my opinion, downtown needs a Holiday Inn Express, Four Points by Sheraton, an extended stay Hoyle, and at least one or two boutique hotels.. Plus one high end... But just my opinion..

Well, like Orulz says...plenty of room left for more hotels. (Not to mention how the Blount Street Commons area is just perfect for a few more Bed & Breakfast Inns!)

Residence Inn seems to be an odd choice for a downtown highrise hotel. In any event, the additional rooms are needed to support the demand.

I do agree with ERJ170. Raleigh does need more downtown hotel rooms at various price points and with different amenities. Not all visitors are going to be the business road warrior type nor the cost conscious no frills type of hotel patron.

The design is much better, but I wish it could be broken in half and stacked for an 18 story version.  The same sentiment can be said about Edison.  I hate these buildings that take a whole side of a block and have such stumpy designs.  

I hope the white parts of the facade are brick and not EIFS.  Also, seems strange to me that they put the rooftop terrace at the Southeast corner of the building... the Northeast corner would be much better views of downtown in my opinion.

The southeast corner faces Memorial at least. I'm glad to see this going forward finally since it sort of widens out the Fayetteville St experience here and will also help make the convention center feel less isolated here with something else facing Salisbury with it. This might have been a good spot for a taller building since it wouldn't tower directly over Memorial, which to me is one of our few architectural gems and should not be swamped by other buildings (like say Grand Central in Manhatten). The rooms are sorely needed though and will help lay that necessary foundation for future taller buildings. 

Two things. 

Missed opportunity on not facing the Northeast corner.  I feel like that would of made it more of a destination bar as it would offer the best views of the skyline.

Secondly, initially it called for 3 retail spaces.  

No huge issues.  All in all i'm happy about the increase of hotel rooms.  

Before RI was acquired by Marriott, it basically invented the long-stay franchise. In theory RI remains in the long-stay segment of the market. But in practice, a significant percentage of RI stays are short... so the brand actually straddles the fence between long-stay and full suite. 

Weekend rates at RIs are often reasonable, but mid-week rates are usually aimed at business travelers or event travelers.

Edited by ctl

I must say that this is a much more suitable design for a downtown than that previous design.

Baby step-wise, maybe the architectural standard for downtown is starting to change a little? This, Charter Square 1 with its sweeping roof, Boylan Pearce even are all adding a more interesting layer to the scene. 

Honestly, I am more excited about how the Boylan-Pearce building looks now than I am about 3/4 of the new projects being built. The new design for this hotel is an improvement. I just wish it hadn't been scaled down again. 

1 person likes this

I'm curious what the back of the hotel looks like since that side will be quite prominent in the postcard view of the skyline from S. Saunders.

The back will smack up against the parking deck