Residence Inn Downtown

Justin6882

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article in the N&O says we might get a RI at the Lafayette site. Great news!

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/24/1803651/residence-inn-eyed-for-downtown.html

Here's more detail. Looks like more than one proposal has been made.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/25/1804300/hotel-proposed-for-downtown-raleigh.html

• 2 months later...

Nice to see another hotel coming downtown. This one is about architecturally on par with the two other major hotels nearby, that is to say, boring at best, ugly at worst. At least it has plenty of ground floor retail space. It will have a vehicular drop off between the hotel and the parking deck, which seems to be about the best we could hope for.

This will be a 154 room hotel, which is not that big. There's plenty of room left downtown for more hotels after this one.

Hmmm... I suppose type hotels are needed also. So, in my opinion, downtown needs a Holiday Inn Express, Four Points by Sheraton, an extended stay Hoyle, and at least one or two boutique hotels.. Plus one high end... But just my opinion..

• 2 years later...

The design is much better, but I wish it could be broken in half and stacked for an 18 story version.  The same sentiment can be said about Edison.  I hate these buildings that take a whole side of a block and have such stumpy designs.  

The southeast corner faces Memorial at least. I'm glad to see this going forward finally since it sort of widens out the Fayetteville St experience here and will also help make the convention center feel less isolated here with something else facing Salisbury with it. This might have been a good spot for a taller building since it wouldn't tower directly over Memorial, which to me is one of our few architectural gems and should not be swamped by other buildings (like say Grand Central in Manhatten). The rooms are sorely needed though and will help lay that necessary foundation for future taller buildings. 

Two things. 

Missed opportunity on not facing the Northeast corner.  I feel like that would of made it more of a destination bar as it would offer the best views of the skyline.

Secondly, initially it called for 3 retail spaces.  

No huge issues.  All in all i'm happy about the increase of hotel rooms.  

Before RI was acquired by Marriott, it basically invented the long-stay franchise. In theory RI remains in the long-stay segment of the market. But in practice, a significant percentage of RI stays are short... so the brand actually straddles the fence between long-stay and full suite. 

Weekend rates at RIs are often reasonable, but mid-week rates are usually aimed at business travelers or event travelers.

Archived