Hillsboro & Acklen - coming down to go up...

dmillsphoto

Looks like that corner (well, 21st Ave) is coming down to be rebuilt with parking (MUCH needed) and apartments on top... I think this is actually something that can be worthwhile, depending on whether the zoning varience is given. 47 apartments or 69 should warrant at least 3-4 floors... Nice cap to the other side of 21st and Wedgewood...

http://www.tennessea...{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is terrible news!!!!!! Absolutely horrible!!!!! With so many surface lots in the area, they have to tear down vintage buildings? What is wrong with these people? Why not build on the lot behind the Belcourt. Build a parking garage for the Belcourt and have retail on the bottom and apartments on top. A 3-5 story building would be great on that surface lot.

I am fuming over this! Just fuming!

I agree with MTSU.

Having lived in New York and DC, vintage buildings are what truly can make a city unique and great. Surface parking lots, gas stations, etc. are not.

I will wait until I see a rendering, as H.G. Realty has developed with nice architecture, but anything but a vintage look with new materials would be a huge disappointment.

I wish it would be done on one of the surface parking lots or replace the gas station, but HG Realty does not own that land.

I am split on this. Yes, these are buildings built in the 20's. But they also don't have (and will drive down there today to confirm) a ton of appeal and character to have been built then. I do wish they could just build up on them, but at the same time I just can't remember how 1920's they are...

EDIT: Yeah, building on top of them would be a lot better.

I just wonder how much this is actually going to change the face of the neighborhood for the good. It's not helping to fill any of the existing holes in the streetscape, and replacing a block of old buildings that already form a nice street wall with what I imagine will be a less successful, less unique, more bland street wall. If the existing businesses are allowed to relocate into the retail spaces then my approval of this project will increase, but if these unique, local, family run, one-of-a-kind businesses are being torn down in exchange for a Chipotle or Subway, then yes, I will be very upset over this project.

I just wonder how much this is actually going to change the face of the neighborhood for the good. It's not helping to fill any of the existing holes in the streetscape, and replacing a block of old buildings that already form a nice street wall with what I imagine will be a less successful, less unique, more bland street wall. If the existing businesses are allowed to relocate into the retail spaces then my approval of this project will increase, but if these unique, local, family run, one-of-a-kind businesses are being torn down in exchange for a Chipotle or Subway, then yes, I will be very upset over this project.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The only part of this project I like is the parking garage aspect and they could do that in one of the surface lots in the area. The businesses that are currently occupying those buildings now have been there for years. That is what makes this area unique for sure. Maybe there is another alternative area for this project, but tearing down these older buildings is a big mistake and you are probably right, there will be a Subway or Quiznos in the new space.

Given the current building's age and condition, I see the best long-term option is to demolish them and start fresh. This could stimulate other projects on vacant lots in the area. Demand for the retail and housing in this new building will be strong. This area is perfect for higher density and most of the land is underutilized.

Kind split on this too. I like the new development and agree its type will go well in the area. However, it would be ideal to a remove surface lot or other non-"historic" building. Hopefully, if it is demolished the developers will try to make the retail front unique.

A couple of links on the reuse of older buildings posted by NHI on their facebook page: http://www.facebook....nc/334374968287

http://switchboard.n...rom_reusin.html

http://green.blogs.n...than-you-think/

I fully agree with this quote from the first link:

“the greenest building is one that is already built,”

I mean, of course there are exceptions! :P

Also, if I had the money I would help developers utilize buildings like this in their design. I would also rebuild the gems lost in this city: Vauxhall, etc.

Will now be only two stories: http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/1/26/hill_realty_wont_ask_for_udo_change_in_hillsboro_village

Manual Zeitlin is on the design team, and his office is practically across the street from the project, so I don't expect he'll do anything he won't be proud of.

I wonder where Cotten Music will go, if even remaining open?

I'm wondering, with the congestion in that area, if street parking on one side could be eliminated and moved into the new garage in exchange for getting that third floor?

BNA - They can have the Shell station, but keep yer hands off the Village Cleaners sign!

Will now be only two stories: http://nashvillepost...llsboro_village

Manual Zeitlin is on the design team, and his office is practically across the street from the project, so I don't expect he'll do anything he won't be proud of.

I wonder where Cotten Music will go, if even remaining open?

I'm wondering, with the congestion in that area, if street parking on one side could be eliminated and moved into the new garage in exchange for getting that third floor?

BNA - They can have the Shell station, but keep yer hands off the Village Cleaners sign!

I'm really confused now! So it's going to be a parking garage with apartments and street level retail...but it's only going to be two stories tall? Where exactly is the parking garage portion of this parking garage going? lol

Question: They're not demolishing the 2-story yellow-brick building at the alleyway with the bay windows (Peabody Shoe Repair) for this project ? That would be a crime. :dunno:

I totally agree. That thing is a diamond in the ruff. If we lose that to some stale dime-a-dozen stucco clad apartment block, I will be quite livid.

Just noting that the Hillsboro Village UDO specifies on page 12 that these buildings are "worthy of conservation." It seems like that should be a major consideration when developing in HV. Otherwise, what purpose does the UDO serve if it isn't followed? They could preserve these buildings and build on top, just like Mercury View lofts over the warehouses in the Gulch. It might cost more, but it would preserve character. I understand the need to be cost effective, but I hope HG Hill doesnt build another horrible mixed use building like the one at Wedgewood and 21st.

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/urban/udo/hillsborov.asp

I realize I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the more I think about this project, the more it really angers me. If Hillsboro Village were a huge neighborhood full of early century architecture, I might be willing to bite my tongue and overlook this project. But it's not a huge neighborhood. The historic portion is only a couple blocks long at most. It's one of only a few places in Nashville that can truly be considered an eclectic, one-of-a-kind, truly environment that is uniquely NASHVILLE, and a significant portion of it now might be torn down for new development. It really boggles my mind. With all of the empty lots that exist in the city, or lots that are just paved over with asphalt or covered with some faceless, forgetful crap, why the HELL would your first option be to go and tear down THESE structures? This building would have to be an absolute ground-breaking, architectual masterpiece in order for it to be worth it as a replacement, and I think it's safe to say it definitely won't be that.

In this article, HG Hill Realty is at least making a PR statement how they

“We have the utmost confidence that — if or when we move forward with this project — our development team ... will pursue the project in a manner consistent with the quality of our other projects in Hillsboro Village and Nashville proper — projects that have been the fabric of our 100-plus-year tradition.

“It is our desire to have any plan that we pursue be embraced by the Hillsboro Village community and, to keep our tenants informed, we will make these plans public as they are solidifed.”

They also are asking for the public's input on the project. So if HG is serious about this, then maybe the public can sway them to preserve the buildings.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120126/NEWS01/301260104/Hillsboro-Village-apartment-plans-scaled-back?odyssey=tab{sodEmoji.|}topnews{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Maybe they can preserve the facades? Since the buildings themselves are supposed to be in bad shape, could the developer retain the facades for the lower portion of the 21st avenue frontage? Or maybe have a setback before the 2nd-story apartments go up and have that setback area be a rooftop patio?

Archived