Hillsboro & Acklen - coming down to go up...

dmillsphoto

Maybe they can preserve the facades? Since the buildings themselves are supposed to be in bad shape, could the developer retain the facades for the lower portion of the 21st avenue frontage? Or maybe have a setback before the 2nd-story apartments go up and have that setback area be a rooftop patio?

Great ideas!! Now if only they let UP Nashville run the city! :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they can preserve the facades? Since the buildings themselves are supposed to be in bad shape, could the developer retain the facades for the lower portion of the 21st avenue frontage? Or maybe have a setback before the 2nd-story apartments go up and have that setback area be a rooftop patio?

Heck, pitch it to HG Hills. They said they'd take input from the public, especially the neighborhood!

Guys,

These buildings are dilapidated. This project will expand the residential base in the neighborhood, expand the parking available while also getting rid of a surface lot in the back, AND still provide for retail spaces. This is a win win win. HG Hill seems to responsibly develop its lots as well. Projects like this will pave the way for other projects and continue to urbanize areas like Hillsboro Village.

I like the street wall that currently presents itself on this portion of Hillsboro Village but I like the proposed project. But for the age and the contribution to the fabric of HV I don't necessarily see the significance of these particular buildings. The building on the northern end has interesting bay windows projecting on the second floor - otherwise they're all typical commercial buildings.

If the buildings were being ripped out for surface parking or for a single user suburban style development I'd be up in arms. The buildings are being lifted for something that will utilize the space more efficiently, add density, diversity and depth to Hillboro Village. I'm all for that. The new building(s) will be larger but won't overwhelm the existing scale. The spots being gentrified. OK. I don't necessarily see that as absolutely bad. Vanderbilt/Midtown needs more housing. The 40+ new residential units that will come with the development represent as many (or more) people that won't necessarily be contributing to the awful traffic congestion in the area and will contribute to vitality of HV.

My biggest concerns with the new buildings are vertical facade composition and tenant mix. I hope the new building(s) provides an active and engaging facade similar to that existing - many bays, entrances, differentiations. It's a new building and I'm guessing the rent's going to be adjusted accordingly which means some of the interesting existing tenants that may indeed be HV institutions may not be a part of the new mix. I hope the new building doesn't result in a boring formulaic mix of commercial entities.

I too wish that urban development was happening around HV to the east and to the west along Blakemore but we can't force people/companies to do it. I think it would very cool if HV kept its funkly deteriorating old building charm while the area surrounding was urbanized but alas...

I like the street wall that currently presents itself on this portion of Hillsboro Village but I like the proposed project. But for the age and the contribution to the fabric of HV I don't necessarily see the significance of these particular buildings. The building on the northern end has interesting bay windows projecting on the second floor - otherwise they're all typical commercial buildings.

If the buildings were being ripped out for surface parking or for a single user suburban style development I'd be up in arms. The buildings are being lifted for something that will utilize the space more efficiently, add density, diversity and depth to Hillboro Village. I'm all for that. The new building(s) will be larger but won't overwhelm the existing scale. The spots being gentrified. OK. I don't necessarily see that as absolutely bad. Vanderbilt/Midtown needs more housing. The 40+ new residential units that will come with the development represent as many (or more) people that won't necessarily be contributing to the awful traffic congestion in the area and will contribute to vitality of HV.

My biggest concerns with the new buildings are vertical facade composition and tenant mix. I hope the new building(s) provides an active and engaging facade similar to that existing - many bays, entrances, differentiations. It's a new building and I'm guessing the rent's going to be adjusted accordingly which means some of the interesting existing tenants that may indeed be HV institutions may not be a part of the new mix. I hope the new building doesn't result in a boring formulaic mix of commercial entities.

I too wish that urban development was happening around HV to the east and to the west along Blakemore but we can't force people/companies to do it. I think it would very cool if HV kept its funkly deteriorating old building charm while the area surrounding was urbanized but alas...

I was waiting to see what you thought of this one considering you live in the Village. I have a lot of mixed emotions as I have stated but this will generate some lively discussion at the Forum meet and I hope you can make it Duane.

• 1 month later...

I have lived two blocks from Hillsboro Village for many years. I am dismayed by these plans. To get an idea of what we may be in store for, just look at the HG Hill development that now houses the Pancake Pantry. A more architecturally nondescript building is hard to imagine--squandering a major corner that had real potential. If we end up with the same bland architecture on the opposite side of the VIllage we will have traded unique buildings for a building that could be anywhere. Also, does anyone really believe that anachronistic little shops like Peabody Shoe Repair are going to be able to relocate in the nearby area? These locally owned small businesses will be gone. This is a really sad development.

I live 150 yards or so from the development. I frequent the village often for a beer or meal. I've never once stepped into any of those shops, as I would say is probably true of most people. The space is dated and the buildings sit on high use land. Hg hill has done a much better job with their recent developments. I would look to the 12th south lofts as something this building may look like.

I will be happy with the increased parking, shops, and foot traffic this building will bring.

• 8 months later...

Hillsboro village is like... two blocks long. Pretty weak for one of our city's most iconic neighborhoods. I agree that housing, new retail, and density are needed, but the argument that the block in question is low use doesn't really hold water when you look at the sprawling surface lots that constrain the village.

Here's a map of truly underutilized land: http://goo.gl/maps/eyTd7

This tiny little strip along 21st has character and is desirable because of the old buildings here. Additional development is needed to make Hillsboro Village thrive, but put it where the eyesores are, not in place of existing structures.

I live two blocks away from 21st on Wedgewood and have to say, this project bums me out hardcore.

• 2 years later...

I Wish they would get this one over with and fill it up with chain restaurants already. I still miss walking down this stretch of hillsboro every time I am in the village. Does anybody remember the world's tiniest art gallery that was set up outside the music store?

lMw6RkO.jpg

iyBJH3d.jpg

1OrgdOt.jpg

EnyVoUF.jpg

I Wish they would get this one over with and fill it up with chain restaurants already. I still miss walking down this stretch of hillsboro every time I am in the village. Does anybody remember the world's tiniest art gallery that was set up outside the music store?

I'm a bit too young to remember that. :huh:(you think?)

-==-

Lol have you looked at the retail going in here? Much better for a livable neighborhood than what was their previously

Four of them are chains, including a sports bar, ice cream shop, and coffee shop to match the sports bar, ice cream shop, and coffee shop already in HV. Yes, much better  :dontknow:

Four of them are chains, including a sports bar, ice cream shop, and coffee shop to match the sports bar, ice cream shop, and coffee shop already in HV. Yes, much better  :dontknow:

Double Dog's - 3rd location. Revelator coffee - 4th location. Jeni's - 3rd location. Uncle - 4th location. Pilate's Garage - Not sure but owned by a neighborhood resident.

So we have 3 of the 5 businesses that are locally owned and operated, and the other two based in Bowling Green and Birmingham that are opening their 3rd and 4th location respectively and first in Nashville. These are not Subways.

Is Sam's also a chain? Was Bosco's a chain?

Is anything that has more than one location a chain? I still find your post hilarious because it is as if you did zero research before calling these places chains.

Edited to list more 'chains':

Sweet Ceces

McDougals

Barista Parlor

Local Taco

Red Door

Broadway Brewhouse

Corner Pub

Just a few

Not that I don't agree with you, but Jeni's has 15 locations in 5 different states. They are based in Columbus, Ohio. Also, they have the best ice cream ever.

Uncle Classic is also great. I get haircuts at their Belle Meade location.

Even NYC and Paris have their McDonalds, Sbarros, and Subways.

A lot of people believe Jeni's is local. I do believe Nashville was the first location outside Columbus.

The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is not affiliated with the HV Pancake Pantry.

Wait...what??  What do you mean it's not affiliated? 

Never owned by the same people and not a franchise. Here's the story: http://www.thepancakepantry.com/2013/09/does-the-pancake-pantry-have-two-locations/

They're not a franchise, but they're practically the same (I've been to both).  That's a strange situation with them being so close (the owners) that the Nashville guys go to Gatlinburg to pick up flour.

Archived