chris722

Main Library downtown Norfolk

51 posts in this topic

Any word on when construction begins on the new library in downtown Norfolk. Any thoughts on the project in general; goes it go far enough, does it go too far?

Any word on when construction begins on the new library in downtown Norfolk. Any thoughts on the project in general; goes it go far enough, does it go too far?

No, but it has been closed for months. Not a good look IMO.

Yeah the city sent out an email inviting folks to a groundbreaking ceremony to be held tomorrow.

This has the potential to be one of my favorite projects in DT if it turns out like they say it will.

They seem to be making huge strives in getting this thing built. Truck after truck, hauling away earth and bring in equipment. Its either a pile driver/tester or borer on site now.

Again, one of my favorite projects right now.

The crane is usually the best sign that construction is about to start, great to hear this project is moving forward.

Can anyone explain why a $40M extension is needed for the library? Libraries do not have a big need anymore. Is this really going to bring more people downtown? No. The money could have been put to better use.

I don't know, man. A large portion of the money was donated. And you can't really bash the city for bringing something downtown for educational purposes. I think the huge plus in this is that it's supposed to be one of the most technicologically-advanced libraries on the east coast.

Edited by Ghentite

I disagree that libraries are not needed anymore. There is still a need for a permanent repository for our knowledge. Academia is having problems building on past research because many theses and research reports cite internet sources that are no longer available on-line. The Sargeant Memorial Collection alone is justification for a library. No, the new library is not going to bring tons of people downtown, but it certainly adds the the urban fabric of Norfolk.

From the Norfolk Public Library website:

The (Sargeant Memorial) collection, which is non-circulating, includes a variety of books and periodicals about Norfolk and Virginia, as well as Norfolk maps and photographs, high school yearbooks, and city directories for the Hampton Roads region. Nearly 200 years of Norfolk newspaper microfilms are available upon request. SMC's genealogy collection encompasses Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and other nearby states, with books, microfilm, and CD's to assist in family research. Today, the Sargeant Memorial Collection has one of Virginia's finest local history and genealogy collections.

Not really sure.  Right now there's an open lot between the Seaboard Building and Selden.  They're apparently filling that entire space with the glass atrium.  Not sure if they will actually build a pass through for people.  You'd think they would...

Love it. For once, DT Norfolk is going for an unconventional design! If only this can set a precedent for future architectural projects in this area...

At first I liked the rendering that mimicked the original building! But now I am glad that they designed it to be modern! It allows the original architecture to pop!

Edited by lil-bear

I have to admit, the new library addition has a huge presence in the skyline over the Monticello Arcade when you are driving down Monticello Avenue!!!

This is the type of projects we all wish that Norfolk continues to build.  Something to be proud of, something unique.

I have to admit, the new library addition has a huge presence in the skyline over the Monticello Arcade when you are driving down Monticello Avenue!!!

A huge presence in the skyline?  I didn't think the building was gonna be that big.  Any chance you can get a photo of what you mean?  You have got me curious now.

Not sure that it'll be much taller than most of the buildings in that area, but it will cover up that ugly circlular parking garage that can be seen from blocks away.  And it'll connect to Selden Arcade basically tightening up that portion of the block.