Main Library downtown Norfolk

chris722

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I disagree that libraries are not needed anymore. There is still a need for a permanent repository for our knowledge. Academia is having problems building on past research because many theses and research reports cite internet sources that are no longer available on-line. The Sargeant Memorial Collection alone is justification for a library. No, the new library is not going to bring tons of people downtown, but it certainly adds the the urban fabric of Norfolk.

From the Norfolk Public Library website:

The (Sargeant Memorial) collection, which is non-circulating, includes a variety of books and periodicals about Norfolk and Virginia, as well as Norfolk maps and photographs, high school yearbooks, and city directories for the Hampton Roads region. Nearly 200 years of Norfolk newspaper microfilms are available upon request. SMC's genealogy collection encompasses Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and other nearby states, with books, microfilm, and CD's to assist in family research. Today, the Sargeant Memorial Collection has one of Virginia's finest local history and genealogy collections.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit, the new library addition has a huge presence in the skyline over the Monticello Arcade when you are driving down Monticello Avenue!!!

A huge presence in the skyline?  I didn't think the building was gonna be that big.  Any chance you can get a photo of what you mean?  You have got me curious now.

Archived