Rizzo

Rumors of interested party for USPS

21 posts in this topic

WWMT was given information on a plan for the Michigan St. USPS facility. http://www.wwmt.com/...grand-real.html

No details, expect that there will be more birdies or whatever in the next few months.

The story was buried quite quickly. Let's hype this.

Edited by Rizzo

It would be nice to do some sort of mixed use incorporating the Olds Manor building. It all hinges on the USPS, and they are a mess right now. How much space would a 21st century postal processing facility need?

Do they do any distribution there?

Where's the streetcar?

Edited by Rizzo

Wow! First the press and now this. Almost time to pop the cork :P It would be nice to see another plaza towers type building (also amway)

WWMT was given information on a plan for the Michigan St. USPS facility. http://www.wwmt.com/...grand-real.html

No details, expect that there will be more birdies or whatever in the next few months.

Not sure but I don't think USPS even owns the building. I can remember a story decades ago now when there was a problem with the deicer on the ramp to the upper level. The story quoted the building's owner which wasn't the USPS (they built a roof over the ramp rather than fix the deicer system.) The way everyone has talked about it as if USPS owns it, I've assumed maybe they had bought it since then. For what it's worth though, one of the commenters in Rizzo's post seems to think it is leased too with the lease expiring 2014. Mlive commenters are always right aren't they?

EDIT: Wait a second, it wasn't mlive, it's WWMT, I'm not sure about their commenters.

Edited by walker

Sounds like a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors and heresay to me.

the article says that someone is interested. I know of at least one other person that is interested. of course, I don't have any money or contacts to pull a deal together. lets hope the other person is in a better position than me.

Seems like a foregone conclusion this WILL happen. The question is, which decade. :)

Joe

Joedowntown

Seems like a foregone conclusion this WILL happen. The question is, which decade. :)

Ha!

So im guessing Devos, GVSU, CWD, or Rockford Construction

Edited by SupercityGR

The story basically said someone, somewhere, MIGHT be trying to purchase the post office property. It would definitely be awsome, but I dont like to get to worked up over something so vague. I'm suprised they went with it. It's almost as if the people in Kzoo are missing the Geha and wish to create their own fake hyped up developer story.

I had high hopes that freeing up the GR Press building would lead to redevelopment of Old Manor but that went away with the MSU purchase. Since the USPS has struggled financially I've assumed there would be no way they could afford to move that facility and I believe they've even said something to that effect in recent years. I would think someone with deep enough pockets could build a facility elsewhere and offer the USPS a purchase price for the current facility and lease arrangement in the new location that would be financially favorable to that cash-strapped organization. It would be very cool for downtown GR to see that area of town take off.

Is CWD now willing to pay for a new postal facility?

The USPS has ruled to not build any new facilities.

They would need to close it down with consolidations and I don't see that as being a viable option with Grand Rapids being such a large area and the need for the processing facility.

I see this as a publicity stunt to try to change the rules.

i could see some new housing being built there. There isnt many apartment choices downtown. With the mile expanding, people are gonna wanna live somewhere. Young nurses and doctors could easily wanna live the pie in the sky life style. It would be a very easy walk to there job (or school). Build a parking ramp under it and make its neighbor olds manor into apts as well. Win win win situation

A whole slew of Grooters big white boxes are on the auction block. I can see the USPS moving into one of those for cheap.

I could see any possible relocation heading near the airport. But, unless there is something brewing, I don't see the USPS moving anytime soon. Sure its a great piece of real estate, but I don't think that's in question. Downtown could use some more apartments (I read that the UICA building was nearly 100% occupied) but that doesn't seem profitable enough for that lot DT.

I find it interesting that the GR Press site and the Post Office may get reused in the near (or not so distant future). Boy how the world is changing; the USPS and newspapers struggling in the digital age.

Joe

There better used for the space then whats there and demand has pushed them out.

In an interview with CMC, Mayor Heartwell said the USPS isn't looking to move anytime soon: Here's a live stream on the Rapidian's website.

Is there a reason for everyone to keep their mouths shut if something really is going on?

I don't know that there's anything serious going on, but I also know that real estate dealings don't usually involve the mayor, unless or until they're ready to start asking for special breaks from the city.