Rumors of interested party for USPS

Rizzo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWMT was given information on a plan for the Michigan St. USPS facility. http://www.wwmt.com/...grand-real.html

No details, expect that there will be more birdies or whatever in the next few months.

The story was buried quite quickly. Let's hype this.

Not sure but I don't think USPS even owns the building. I can remember a story decades ago now when there was a problem with the deicer on the ramp to the upper level. The story quoted the building's owner which wasn't the USPS (they built a roof over the ramp rather than fix the deicer system.) The way everyone has talked about it as if USPS owns it, I've assumed maybe they had bought it since then. For what it's worth though, one of the commenters in Rizzo's post seems to think it is leased too with the lease expiring 2014. Mlive commenters are always right aren't they?

EDIT: Wait a second, it wasn't mlive, it's WWMT, I'm not sure about their commenters.

WWMT was given information on a plan for the Michigan St. USPS facility. http://www.wwmt.com/...grand-real.html

No details, expect that there will be more birdies or whatever in the next few months.

The story was buried quite quickly. Let's hype this.

Sounds like a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors and heresay to me.

Not sure but I don't think USPS even owns the building.

They own it:

https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa.is/AssessingServices/ServiceAssessingDetails.aspx?p=41-13-24-480-001&dp=41-13-24-480-001&i=1&appid=0&unit=115

No sale records listed, either, which means they've owned it for a couple of decades, at least.

The story basically said someone, somewhere, MIGHT be trying to purchase the post office property. It would definitely be awsome, but I dont like to get to worked up over something so vague. I'm suprised they went with it. It's almost as if the people in Kzoo are missing the Geha and wish to create their own fake hyped up developer story.

I had high hopes that freeing up the GR Press building would lead to redevelopment of Old Manor but that went away with the MSU purchase. Since the USPS has struggled financially I've assumed there would be no way they could afford to move that facility and I believe they've even said something to that effect in recent years. I would think someone with deep enough pockets could build a facility elsewhere and offer the USPS a purchase price for the current facility and lease arrangement in the new location that would be financially favorable to that cash-strapped organization. It would be very cool for downtown GR to see that area of town take off.

Is CWD now willing to pay for a new postal facility?

The USPS has ruled to not build any new facilities.

They would need to close it down with consolidations and I don't see that as being a viable option with Grand Rapids being such a large area and the need for the processing facility.

I see this as a publicity stunt to try to change the rules.

i could see some new housing being built there. There isnt many apartment choices downtown. With the mile expanding, people are gonna wanna live somewhere. Young nurses and doctors could easily wanna live the pie in the sky life style. It would be a very easy walk to there job (or school). Build a parking ramp under it and make its neighbor olds manor into apts as well. Win win win situation

I could see any possible relocation heading near the airport. But, unless there is something brewing, I don't see the USPS moving anytime soon. Sure its a great piece of real estate, but I don't think that's in question. Downtown could use some more apartments (I read that the UICA building was nearly 100% occupied) but that doesn't seem profitable enough for that lot DT.

In an interview with CMC, Mayor Heartwell said the USPS isn't looking to move anytime soon: Here's a live stream on the Rapidian's website.

Is there a reason for everyone to keep their mouths shut if something really is going on?

I don't know that there's anything serious going on, but I also know that real estate dealings don't usually involve the mayor, unless or until they're ready to start asking for special breaks from the city.

Archived