Carrboro's Shelton Station

DCMetroRaleigh

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen voted on Tuesday 1/24/2012 in support of rezoning to permit the permitting to begin for SHELTON STATION, a mixed use development for downtown Carrboro. Forward looking live and work, the development is supported by downtown businesses and local residents, and will provide 96 workforce and low income rentals, along with 24,000 square feet of retail and office space. The LEED equivalent green development will meet a list of 13 conditions imposed by the Town. Permitting should be completed this year, with occupancy likely by the end of 2013.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project is bordered by the railroad tracks and two Fitch Lumber warehouses. I wouldn't exactly call that the burbs either. It is an infill project that provides a transition from downtown to the residential neighborhoods to the north with higher density residential. The amount of retail approved is more than originally proposed thanks to the Town of Carrboro. This gives the building nearest Greensboro St. the look of a shopping center with apartments above.

Yeah, that's downtown. Technically, the "city centerpoint" on maps is where Greensboro Street crosses Main Street (thus the determination for north/south and east/west designations). And I count about 4 blocks from that point to this project (5-10 minute walk?). So yeah...I'd call it downtown.

Anyway, to the project itself, it looks like a good infill project. Definitely more urban in scale than some of the stuff directly around it, and probably the most mixed-use project I've ever seen in Carrboro in recent memory.

Archived