all2neat

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://theadvocate.c...-to-expand.html

One along I10

One in Ascension

One possibly in Zachary.

I hope this goes through. We'll finally have a decent grocer in the area.

Good luck to them. I know they are a fine grocer, but LeBlanc's, Matherne's, and Calandro's aren't exactly easy competition. Winn Dixie and Albertsons are, for the most part, terrible at what they do in the capitol region. It is almost as if they don't even bother competing anymore. Kroger has eaten up so much of their market share on a national scale, and the locals along the gulf coast are simply better in every way.

I welcome the new market entrants.

Rouses are a bit too large for downtown, (typically). A smaller grocer would have to be serviced locally (like Bet-R is serviced by AG of Baton Rouge). Something less than 20,000 square feet would be an ideal start.

I would bet they are staying in the suburban areas. Maybe Broadmoor shopping center?

Won't happen

You might be wrong on that one....though your skepticism is understandable.

Grocery stores are sustained in towns with less than 1200 people because they are far less dependent on large quantities of high income residents to be profitable. There are around 3,000 people just in downtown at probably twice that within one square mile. There is also already a small grocery in Spanish town and a farmer's market downtown.

I know for a fact that it is being considered by at least one company (not aware of a commitment yet)....which typically means that said company's competitors are sniffing it out too. You'd be proud to know that it involves no TIF, government subsidies, or special incentives either- at least not at this time.

However...if a CVS or Walgrees opens up downtown, it is highly likely that grocery companies will shy off for a while.

I know for a fact that it is being considered by at least one company (not aware of a commitment yet)....which typically means that said company's competitors are sniffing it out too. You'd be proud to know that it involves no TIF,

government subsidies, or special incentives either- at least not at this time.

If you're referring to the at-one-time proposed market from the owners of Southside Market for a spot near the river center then that proposal already fell through.

There's just not enough people to sustain a grocer 7 days a week. Want to change that? Then BR needs to do the following:

1) drive out the bums and hobos

2) double the police presence (the new cop depot on 3rd St is a nice start)

3) build apartments with garages (there's no bus system people WANT to use)

If you're referring to the at-one-time proposed market from the owners of Southside Market for a spot near the river center then that proposal already fell through.

There's just not enough people to sustain a grocer 7 days a week. Want to change that? Then BR needs to do the following:

1) drive out the bums and hobos

2) double the police presence (the new cop depot on 3rd St is a nice start)

3) build apartments with garages (there's no bus system people WANT to use)

Is there an issue with crime downtown?

I've lived downtown for four years now and have never had a problem with the few vagrants. In fact, its the same few people that have been living on the streets of downtown for years. They have never given me a problem and many of them in fact have names. Some of them are even friendly. To my knowledge the people committing crimes around downtown and the other neighborhoods of Baton Rouge aren't homeless but are in fact criminals traveling from other zip codes. Yes, I also wish there weren't any homeless people downtown, but there are, and they don't seem to be bothering anybody. We shall see how the DDD's resolution against the homeless effects the situation. But in a capitalist economy there will always be winners and losers and there will always be homeless people, as unfortunate as that may be. I think it's just something you have to live with unless you are willing to give up your time and money to assist these people. But then again, I suppose some people think its easier to just kick them out to other parts of town that they don't frequent.

It's amazing how two people see the same situation so differently.

in a capitalist economy there will always be winners and losers and there will always be homeless people, as unfortunate as that may be. I think it's just something you have to live with

Some people will live with it. Sure.

The vast majority will however move themselves and family to the safer suburbs. That's why urban areas are in the way they are today. At some point some urban areas are going to decide that they care more about luring those people back and make them and their needs a priority, rather than looking the other way or "accepting" bums urinating in public.

Downtown Baton Rouge is starting to wake up. Slowly. But you can tell they want to change. I applaud them for the efforts so far.

Some people will live with it. Sure.

The vast majority will however move themselves and family to the safer suburbs. That's why urban areas are in the way they are today. At some point some urban areas are going to decide that they care more about luring those people back and make them and their needs a priority, rather than looking the other way or "accepting" bums urinating in public.

Downtown Baton Rouge is starting to wake up. Slowly. But you can tell they want to change. I applaud them for the efforts so far.

Bums aren't going anywhere, the ones that hang out at the gas station on Government will like the new growth because it's more people to give them money.

Again, people here have no desire to live in downtown BR because of the lack of quality of life. It's not that hard to understand. Clean up the area and people will eventually come.

Some people (who are clearly in the minority) don't care about bums, street trash, junkies hanging out at bus stations and that's fine. Just don't expect the majority of people to invest or bring their families to live in those areas. Work? Sure. Get drunk at on Saturday night? Sure. Live there with their loved ones or families? Hell no.

Again, people here have no desire to live in downtown BR because of the lack of quality of life. It's not that hard to understand. Clean up the area and people will eventually come.

Some people (who are clearly in the minority) don't care about bums, street trash, junkies hanging out at bus stations and that's fine. Just don't expect the majority of people to invest or bring their families to live in those areas. Work? Sure. Get drunk at on Saturday night? Sure. Live there with their loved ones or families? Hell no.

Wasn't dirty when I was there in December-January. The homeless aren't crawling on every street and corner, it's not a cess pool. The condos on Main sure sold out fast. Their rental units are leased as well. Most downtown resdients in majority of Americas cities don't have families and certainly not large ones.

I havent posted in a while...but i read all the time......itsjustme2...if i was from another place. After reading some of your posts id think downtown BR was the worst place ever...You are really over doing it....I was the 1st Manager at that Community Coffee House Downtown Cleaned it Put the Tables in and Jump started the store....Yes we had a few bums...But have you ever Talked to em?...Do you know their story?...Alot of em are people who went to war for you and Got messed up in the head.....Your reasons on why downtown is not booming are Wrong....85% of the reason downtown BR isnt booming is the Cost of getting a location downtown...it's real High.....and your going to take a big Hit on Sundays....It's Going to Come along....but it's going to take some of these Big Companies to Invest and ride out the storm to open the doors for the Smaller companies....I live in Houston now they have bums too it's not just BR

I havent posted in a while...but i read all the time......itsjustme2...if i was from another place. After reading some of your posts id think downtown BR was the worst place ever...You are really over doing it....I was the 1st Manager at that Community Coffee House Downtown Cleaned it Put the Tables in and Jump started the store....Yes we had a few bums...But have you ever Talked to em?...Do you know their story?...Alot of em are people who went to war for you and Got messed up in the head.....Your reasons on why downtown is not booming are Wrong....85% of the reason downtown BR isnt booming is the Cost of getting a location downtown...it's real High.....and your going to take a big Hit on Sundays....It's Going to Come along....but it's going to take some of these Big Companies to Invest and ride out the storm to open the doors for the Smaller companies....I live in Houston now they have bums too it's not just BR

lol. Seriously?

Archived