Chinatown

RALNATIVE

My pause comes from the line at the end of the article "All of us are really outsiders". Siting a mall-like concept, *driving* distance from an airport in an area completely devoid of residential property seems high on the risk scale. It will take a niche concept here..an outlet mall failed because it wasn't unique enough...and a niche concept done well with untapped demand for it. 

Charlotte has a similar but smaller concept near NoDa. It was the old Tryon Mall on N. Tryon and it was converted into a mini strip mall china town, with chinese markets, restaurants, dimsum places and I believe there is hope to expand its "chinatown" flare in the future. I don't think Modern built from scratch Chinatowns are really all that viable, honestly however.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extrapolating the 2010 census results for ethnicity to the most recent population estimates for Wake County, there are roughly 32,000 residents of Asian heritage in the county. Not all are Chinese, of course. But given the significant numbers of Chinese in and around Cary, Morrisville, etc and the proximity of the mall to I-40, I believe there are more than enough potential customers. Just look at the traffic at the Grand Asia Market at South Hills in Cary. The cars in that lot are coming from all over the Triangle.

Extrapolating the 2010 census results for ethnicity to the most recent population estimates for Wake County, there are roughly 32,000 residents of Asian heritage in the county. Not all are Chinese, of course. But given the significant numbers of Chinese in and around Cary, Morrisville, etc and the proximity of the mall to I-40, I believe there are more than enough potential customers. Just look at the traffic at the Grand Asia Market at South Hills in Cary. The cars in that lot are coming from all over the Triangle.

I think that the article also mentions that this complex will offer items from Asia not available in other places. If that's the case, the business here may see more than just local patrons. We don't know all of the details about their plans, but I can say for sure, having worked with a number of Chinese business people, that they are typically shrewd and savvy business people. They tend to make in formed decisions.

Also just to be clear, these types of places are not only frequented by Asians. Many sophisticated whites, blacks, and other races tend to go to these types of places for specialty Asian products and services. They are not intending for this retail center to compete with Wal-Mart, if you follow me.

Archived