Center City Development Maps

kermit

It does on "Classic" mode. It's the "Google Map Maker" link in the bottom right corner of the maps. Changes are vetted by moderators, though. I've reported/edited/added a number of items over time, like reconfigured intersections or walking paths. For whatever reason map maker doesn't seem to be available in the "new" maps.

Google Maps now has "maps engine" which replaces the old My Maps.  You can collaborate on any Maps Engine map as long as the owner sets the Sharing appropriately.  For instance, you can make it so that anyone with the link is allowed to edit, if you wanted full wiki-type crowdsourcing.  So as far as I can tell, kermit can do that, if he/she desires -- although he/she might have to migrate that map to Maps Engine first (which is easy and possibly automatic).

Or it can be shared out to individual e-mail addresses, if you want to control who edits.

p.s. I might be wrong on the terminology of what exactly is "my maps" and "maps engine" -- it's really confusing; regardless, I'm pretty sure you can invite whatever editors you want, including the world.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

I have been embarrassed that I ran out of gas for map updates so I will be very happy to pass the keys to the map onto someone else or the entire board.

Unfortunately the development map is part of my personal account which includes some other maps which I need to maintain myself. Once I figure out how to split the development map off to its own account and the other elements of the new Google mapping service I can make the transfer happen.

I am away on business at the moment, I should have time to investigate the issues on Saturday.

I have been embarrassed that I ran out of gas for map updates so I will be very happy to pass the keys to the map onto someone else or the entire board.

Unfortunately the development map is part of my personal account which includes some other maps which I need to maintain myself. Once I figure out how to split the development map off to its own account and the other elements of the new Google mapping service I can make the transfer happen.

I am away on business at the moment, I should have time to investigate the issues on Saturday.

Not sure you can transfer ownership of an existing map *BUT* this should work to obtain the same result:

https://sites.google.com/site/gmapstips/copy-move-features-between-my-maps

Hmmmm, as a TEST, I exported kermit's map to KML, then created a new Maps Engine map by importing that KML.  Then I opened editing to anyone with this link:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.klI9U5bNYpnk

Anybody want to try to edit it to see if it works?

I even configured it so that anybody can add editors and/or change the permissions.

(I don't know if Maps Engine is the best solution -- maybe there is still a My Maps that has better features?  The more I try to read the Google documentation on their products, the more it confuses me.)

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Cool.  I leave it up to y'all (the experts) on what you want to do.  That one can be the "real" UP collaboration -- but I don't really need to be involved in this (I don't follow development much).  One of you could do the same thing I did if you want to "own" it.  Or you can wait for kermit to change the permissions or create a new shared map.

Edited by grodney

excellent, thanks grodney!

It looks like the new version allows for more features on each layer so we can avoid the dreaded paging problem which plagued the old map.

If its possible (and I think it is) lets make the shared version that grodney links above the new shared version of the map (it has already been updated from my last version and it will allow me to avoid figuring out how to extract my version from the remainder of my maps). That said, don't be shy about contacting me if I can do anything to facilitate this transition.

Edited by kermit

I will update the apartment projects with completion dates when I get home later. Thanks!

How do I get access to this, there are a few under the radar Townhome Projects for me to add.

Edited by Guest