Center City Development Maps

kermit

Jesus Christ; is no one going to try and stop that woman!?!?! This is like the perfect symbol for gentrification in Chinatown and Tribeca.

Yuppies are like a plague dude...

Just walked through downtown for five hours yesterday. Half of it is a disaster area. There are too many large scale projects smushed together like the stadium and convention center wich only are used at certain times so the streets were earily empty when I walked through. Almost half the infustructure in downtown is dedicated to car storage. I saw eight story parking garages with skybridges leading from them to the skyscrapers. Therefore, empty streets. The corporate architects and modernists did a number to this great city wich I will never forgive.

The first post in the thread will be the best estimate of start date I have for this map. Dubone and others did create some earlier generation maps 'back in the day' so they should really get credit for the concept.

I thought the maps dated prior to 2012 for sure. Didn't he use something else to create jpegs or pdfs? I tried to locate something older but I can't find anything.

How should I have credit be given in the article? Should I say some local development fanatics? Urban planet contributors?

UrbanPlanet.com contributors is probably best.

I thought the maps dated prior to 2012 for sure. Didn't he use something else to create jpegs or pdfs? I tried to locate something older but I can't find anything.

UrbanPlanet.com contributors is probably best.

You mean UrbanPlanet.org contributors. I'm seriously always hoping that the company who owns the .com goes under so I can buy it, but nothing yet. We do own UrbanPlanet.co though.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The first post in the thread will be the best estimate of start date I have for this map. Dubone and others did create some earlier generation maps 'back in the day' so they should really get credit for the concept.

Thank you for remembering.   10 years ago, I had a lot more time on my hands, there was a lot going on with early announcements that ended up turning into the bubble a few years later, but it was exciting, so being a geo nerd I wanted to draw them out on a map.  Google did not have the online tools it has now, so I did them painstakingly in Photoshop.  I would screenshot Google Maps aerials, then manually stitch them together into a canvas that was the entire uptown and then draw polygons and text.  Because they were photoshop layers, I was able to update them every ~6 months by editing the layers, although sometimes I recaptured and restitched the aerial background when Google updated it.    

The first one I posted was in late 2004, but I don't seem to have the archive of the image on my computer and "hosted by Monsoon" means it was deleted :

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/9684-uptown-charlotte-project-rundown/

Here it was in December 2005, but it links to an image that updated in 2006, so the 2005 version seems also lost:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/19676-uptown-charlotte-project-rundown/

78283999_7064181cec_o.jpg

Thank you for remembering.   10 years ago, I had a lot more time on my hands, there was a lot going on with early announcements that ended up turning into the bubble a few years later, but it was exciting, so being a geo nerd I wanted to draw them out on a map.  Google did not have the online tools it has now, so I did them painstakingly in Photoshop.  I would screenshot Google Maps aerials, then manually stitch them together into a canvas that was the entire uptown and then draw polygons and text.  Because they were photoshop layers, I was able to update them every ~6 months by editing the layers, although sometimes I recaptured and restitched the aerial background when Google updated it.    

The first one I posted was in late 2004, but I don't seem to have the archive of the image on my computer and "hosted by Monsoon" means it was deleted :

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/9684-uptown-charlotte-project-rundown/

Here it was in December 2005, but it links to an image that updated in 2006, so the 2005 version seems also lost:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/19676-uptown-charlotte-project-rundown/

78283999_7064181cec_o.jpg

Here was a 8/06 map of the developable surface lots.  We have come a LONG way on that front:

204259628_2540cde6fe_z.jpg?zz=1

Here was a 8/06 map of the developable surface lots.  We have come a LONG way on that front:

204259628_2540cde6fe_s.jpg

Aw man... Beazer honestly would have been a more transformative project than Anything imagine if we had that much extra housing down there. 

The only good thing about all that wasted space is it will take years to plan and build it out but THIS time we can build something that people will love, people will live in, and may one day make a great city. One building at a time... and if anyone asks about parking.... tell em' to take the bus.

The only good thing about all that wasted space is it will take years to plan and build it out but THIS time we can build something that people will love, people will live in, and may one day make a great city. One building at a time... and if anyone asks about parking.... tell em' to take the bus.

Charlotte Pipe supposedly bought that land to keep development from creeping up on their operations, then complaining about the smell. I'm not counting on those areas seeing development, at least not residential.

Charlotte Pipe definitely emits a smell, but I don't think it is terrible and it certainly isn't overwhelming. I personally wouldn't be bothered living near it.

Edited by Niner National

^ Charlotte Pipe also had plans to relocate out to Stanley County back during the last boom. They recognize the value of the land they are sitting on, their current location does not offer any advantages that they can't get elsewhere in the region, and they are only going to get more smell complaints, higher property tax assesments, and trucks stuck in traffic each year.

Its only a matter of time before they get an offer that they can't refuse.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about adding a planning layer.  Any thoughts before I do  that?  areas of applicable visioning plans etc.  Mapping the innovation corridor brought this to mind: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/pages/appliedinnovationcorridor.aspx

Also adding ped overlays, center city vision...  It would be a separate layer so (obviously) folks could turn it off or on...

Edited by archiham04

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Charlotte's Virtual Charlotte GIS, and many of you are aware, is a great resource to identify(graphically) development in your area.  Why couldn't rezoning petitions not show up on this map?  Seems like a pro-neighborhood feature that would be relatively easy to implement.  Anyone got the ear of a decision maker out there?

Charlotte's Virtual Charlotte GIS, and many of you are aware, is a great resource to identify(graphically) development in your area.  Why couldn't rezoning petitions not show up on this map?  Seems like a pro-neighborhood feature that would be relatively easy to implement.  Anyone got the ear of a decision maker out there?

Which layers do you use most frequently? 

• 4 months later...

I think many of the "under construction" apartments reflected on the map have opened - can anyone more familiar with what's completed delete them off the map? (1100, Quarters at Morehead, Woodfield Graham for example). 

Astoria Apartments and Mercury NoDa both look like they'll be open within weeks, with Fountains and Solis not far behind. Not sure about Crescent Dilworth, though it looks very close to move-in ready.