Center City Development Maps

kermit

• 3 weeks later...

Also, the whole yard is not moving, just the area for trucks and a few rail lines near the trucks. Many of the trucking-related industry along Brevard here will also likely move away to West Blvd area, too, preparing the area for more organic southward NoDa growth and re-urbanization.

• 3 weeks later...

The CBJ's lead article today was on Faison Properties. They mentioned that their uptown project is 280 units (rather than 250) and also said they will be moving forward on a 200 unit complex at Summit and Church (a fomer Boulevard Co site). Both projects will be 'podium style.' The map has been modified to indicate these changes.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/07/06/faison-jumps-into-apartments.html?page=all

The CBJ's lead article today was on Faison Properties. They mentioned that their uptown project is 280 units (rather than 250) and also said they will be moving forward on a 200 unit complex at Summit and Church (a fomer Boulevard Co site). Both projects will be 'podium style.' The map has been modified to indicate these changes.

http://www.bizjourna...s.html?page=all

This is where the failed townhome project is right?

Not the most desirable option but certainly not the worst either

The rendering we saw of the gateway area project was podium, but still had a lower level at the front with a lobby/entrance and at least one retail space. I hope that is what we're still getting. I don't think garden units/patios would be that desirable on those streets so I'm ok with that.

The project on Summit is definitely welcome, although I hope to see more street presence in that area than just a parking deck...

Unfortunately, due to the physical constraints of going under I-277 and over CSX, it's very impractical to locate a station between 10th and 16th Streets for Alpha Mill.

In development news, the corner of Pecan and Commonwealth is seeking a building permit. Add the site on Central beside DQ (also in permitting) and the Plaza-Midwood area is quickly joining the urban apartment boom.

On a somewhat related note... just HOW do they plan to deal with the (pardon my French) clusterfudge of highway and rail as you head north past Alpha Mill? I work for CSX and riding along the line towards Tryon Yard as it stands now... I just don't see how it's going to fit through there. Are they going to have an elevated portion over the CSX main line where the Southern crossing used to be and then parallel the NS like they do down south around the Cargill plant?

On a totally unrelated note, if anyone's interested, word is that CSX is -still- considering tunneling their main line under the Big Southern Crossing at Interstate Mills. Can't imagine how that would work, but it'd be nice.

Edited by TotalLamer

In the vicinity of Alpha Mill, the BLE will under 11th and Brookshire, across 12th, then up and over CSX (retained fill and short bridge), landing back down across 16th. You can zoom-in on the aerial and profiles of the BLE plans (see 9th to 25th PDF map):

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Pages/BLEAlignmentMaps.aspx

In the vicinity of the ADM Plant, the CSX will go under NCRR and future Red Line. The limits of the new trench will be Church Street to Hamilton Street. You can see visuals for that project online here (see map on slide 12):

http://www.mumpo.org/PDFs/Rail/CRISP.pdf

In the vicinity of Alpha Mill, the BLE will under 11th and Brookshire, across 12th, then up and over CSX (retained fill and short bridge), landing back down across 16th. You can zoom-in on the aerial and profiles of the BLE plans (see 9th to 25th PDF map):

http://charmeck.org/...gnmentMaps.aspx

In the vicinity of the ADM Plant, the CSX will go under NCRR and future Red Line. The limits of the new trench will be Church Street to Hamilton Street. You can see visuals for that project online here (see map on slide 12):

http://www.mumpo.org.../Rail/CRISP.pdf

Interesting... how old is that slideshow? It would be -so- nice if that grade crossing was seperated. If anything it would make servicing ADM there a lot less of a hassle, as it currently is. I know one of the mentioned projects is already complete, although it's not really an "expansion" of the CSX Intermodal facility... more of a streamlining. The new track is finished and they may have turned the signals on this week, not sure.

Apparently Center City Partners bought a tract of land in South End surrounded by West Blvd, Kingston Ave and S. Tryon St. with the intention of turning it into a park. This would be the area behind Sauceman's. No other details!

Edited by lewy2000

Apparently Center City Partners bought a tract of land in South End surrounded by West Blvd, Kingston Ave and S. Tryon St. with the intention of turning it into a park. This would be the area behind Sauceman's. No other details!

Hmm, Southend does need a park, but I find that a little bit of an odd choice. I thought the lot on Camden where the food trucks gather would be a great spot (although losing that use would be a shame, and I'd rather see a low/midrise there one day).

• 2 weeks later...

^As far as I know, the construction plans for the two blocks of parking deck-wrapped apartments have been approved. I'll be happy when Bascom finally connects directly to 7th Street, instead of having to do the Ranier-Weddington zig-zag.

Ah, thank you. I wasn't sure what was going on until I looked at the Development map and put two and two together. It looks like it will be a good size development.

Has anyone heard any other news about this park?

Parks are only as good as their edges. For example, Marshall Park sits next to government and institutional uses that are often dead on evenings.

I'm a little concerned that this proposed park in South End is directly opposite a convenience store with loitering in its parking lot. That same problem was around four years ago and convinced me at that time to not buy a nearby house in Wilmore. Until this adjoining corner develops, a park here will not have good edges.

If looking for a location with good edges in South End, one only look a block away at Camden/Park, where there are often food trucks. Obviously, it's not the design of this vacant lot that make it so appealing, but rather it's the edges. Common Market and Phat Burrito make for good edges, and hence, can function as a defacto, pop-up "park."

Edited by southslider

Was looking over the "birdseye" on google maps, and its really depressing that at least 30% of the land inside of 277 is extremely underutilized, and devoid of anything. There are at least 30 blocks that are just parking, cleared land, or less than 20% buildings and 80% land/parking. So sad, but at the same time, its a clean canvas.