Center City Development Maps

kermit

hmm, that's strange. It allowed me to start editing without any issues. permission is currently set to "Anyone who has the link can edit. " maybe it's a platform issue?

I got it to work, I was trying to "Add a layer" which is not what i should have been doing... stupid me.

And as I thankfully discovered, you can Ctrl+Z to undo any, uh.. mistakes.

So the new map engine will automatically color items based on various bits of data. In testing this I added a "Project Type" column to the data, then under "Style" different colors can be assigned (as well as custom border widths & transparencies). This would seem to be a much more consistent and easier solution to the graphic look of the map. It's definitely much more powerful than the old maps engine. 

• Like 1

I added the edit link to the first page, but the embed code doesn't seem to work with this.  

I'm really having fun with this. Lets all hope these projects all come to fruition. I'm still adding them :-). 

When I open in IE, it says the browser is unsupported.  So yeah, maybe that's the problem Jayvee.  If you have text changes to make to data that's already there, try clicking the "Data" thingy over in the left menu and see if it will let you edit the spreadsheet-looking table that pops up (or is supposed to pop up, anyway).

When I open in IE, it says the browser is unsupported.  So yeah, maybe that's the problem Jayvee.  If you have text changes to make to data that's already there, try clicking the "Data" thingy over in the left menu and see if it will let you edit the spreadsheet-looking table that pops up (or is supposed to pop up, anyway).

I am now looking in Firefox (still on crappy work computer) and I don't get a popup or see a "data" thingy, basically I just wanna update completion date estimates....i will just be patient and try at home.

Since this is open to the public it'd be a good idea for those making changes to backup the map from time to time -

Click the envelope, 'Export to KML', 'Download', save it as text

It's way too easy to delete elements and way too big of an internet to trust everyone.

• Like 2

It makes me sad how little we can add to Elizabeth Ave. 

I noticed that too.   Once a core part of the urban hopes and discussion on UP, but there is less there now than there was 5y ago since they have continued to tear buildings down but not build up.   

It seems inevitable that it will eventually have things,  but it was interesting to see how much Met Midtown has been the catalyst.  

I thought about that when I marked some I knew were complete, but then worried if I deleted it, someone not realizing they were complete would take the work to add them back, or that I might take the work to add other projects I didn't realize were complete.  

Clearly the whole point of this is to show the planned and under construction activity, so when they're complete, feel free to delete as people are already doing.    Maybe post here the ones that you are deleting to be sure to spread the news so everyone is up to date.  

FYI - I deleted the following:

- Elizabeth CPCC building, occupied as of December.    

- Duke Endowment HQ completed last month.  

- Yards at Noda, open as of TODAY per their Twitter.

Others have deleted the ones that are more well known to be completed:

- Silos

- Colonial Reserve

- Alpha Mill II

It's sort of obvious but please make sure to keep it to real projects that are attainable in the foreseeable future or being actively pursued by the city/county/state leadership or by the developers.   Pie in the sky ideas or jack dreams should just get drawn on your own separate maps and shared, or on city 30-year planning 

If it is something that is substantiated, be sure to add the links to the description.

This map is fun. Just thought that was worth saying.

It is really fun, but just like Wikipedia, it's a lot of work to make sure it stays correct.   When I used to do them, I had hoped to make them crowd-sourced and use Google maps, but the tools were really poor back then, so I ended up having to used Photoshop so I could control the colors and have more precision to the boundaries.    It is great to see it finally able to be updated like this.  

Truth. I do wonder, though, if we could take advantage of the database style of the map engine to include "masterplan" style items for reference. It is actually really nice to see a lot of the things on there that aren't otherwise in the real construction pipeline, like various CDOT road connections. 

Edit: What about the "Layer" function? I don't seem to be able to add a layer, but theoretically that could serve the purpose. All "pie in the sky" projects shunt to another layer entirely that can be turned on and off.

Edited by tozmervo
  • Like 1