Center City Development Maps

kermit

Yeah, I really would have preferred Completed stay but just hide when they get that status.  Kermit, are you able to see if that can be added?

If deleting, be sensitive and post here and the reason, other than clearly being done.   For example, there are some items on the 5y plans for the airport that someone added and then someone deleted.   I added back as they are planned enhancements and not that far off given the timelines in the budgets.  But I added substantiation to the comments.  

I'll look into layer capability. It definitely did not exist in the previous version of maps, but it would certainly be great to have.

PS: Hats off to whoever put in all the parks, greenways and trail plans. Thank you!

Edited by kermit

Hi all.  I added 2 layers, one for Completed, and one for Future/Rumors/etc.  Not sure why you guys couldn't.  Feel free to change the names, or whatever.  I added the 2nd NoDa Brewing location to the Future/Rumor layer as an example -- I'll leave it to you whether you delete it from the real layer.  

I did some googling and unfortunately, I don't see any way to move items from one layer to another.  If it's too much work to delete from one layer and add to another (such as when a project gets completed), maybe you could accomplish a layer move by using the KML export/import.

• Like 2

Let's keep the main map with the following general purpose (as it has always been), incomplete projects at various stages of planning with likely completion within the next 5 years.  

Even if it is a rumor, if it is being planned and pursued for funding or permits or rezoning, add it, and simply delete it in future if it gets cancelled.

The Completed and Long Term Plans layers then allow us to put items we know are in the city plans or developer master plans, but unlikely to be pursued for funding soon. 

It is a big shame, though, that it does not let you move something between layers, because re-creating something just to mark it complete is a bit annoying.   

I like it dubone.  Please feel free to add/delete/rename layers for what makes sense.  I'm not driving this at all, and was just responding to requests for Layer Adds -- still don't know why y'all can't add layers, but I'm happy to help if needed.  

As for moving items between layers, it would surprise me if Google doesn't add that soon (yet I've seen people asking about it for many months).

• Like 1

FYI - I deleted the following:

- Conference Dr flyover which is completed, 

- The "park?" at  that is not in the county plans behind Charlotte Family Housing - Plaza Place because it is no listed on the county plans anywhere

- And a couple tiny projects someone put on but had a status of "superstalled"  lol.  That would be the definition of "shouldn't be on here".  They can be added back at the point they get unsuperstalled.    :tough:

• Like 1

In the Long Term Plans layer, there is freedom to add far reaching master plan items.   It has probably low chance of happening in a decade or two, but it is in the airport master plans.  Regardless, there are far more likely airport projects on the 10y plan than a runway across 485.

But frankly, the long term master planning no longer has the next runway out across 485.  It is now to add parallel runways a bit closer together.  So I think it was based on outdated info.  

http://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Economic_pdfs/Presentations/CLT_Presentation_3-13.pdf

post-670-0-09488200-1415212803_thumb.png

I get a minor giggle about the type of projects people are adding, but it does reflect everyone's different points of view on development.   

I especially think it's funny that we are now reflecting all the 7-11 and QuickTrip corner gas stations that are going in.  

I just hope they update them when they're done and get them off  :shades:

PS, how are people adding the renderings?    (No, I'm not planning to update the renderings of the gas stations)

PS, how are people adding the renderings?    (No, I'm not planning to update the renderings of the gas stations)

When you click the edit icon on the project, a camera icon will then show on the lower right corner. Click on that and it gives you options to add renderings/photos.

• Like 1

In the Long Term Plans layer, there is freedom to add far reaching master plan items.   It has probably low chance of happening in a decade or two, but it is in the airport master plans.  Regardless, there are far more likely airport projects on the 10y plan than a runway across 485.

But frankly, the long term master planning no longer has the next runway out across 485.  It is now to add parallel runways a bit closer together.  So I think it was based on outdated info.  

http://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Economic_pdfs/Presentations/CLT_Presentation_3-13.pdf

I think that including "possible runway", while not imminent,  is in some ways more relevant than some of the definite plans for the airport.  If you think about it, the new terminals for instance, will have little impact on overall landuse in the area of the airport.  A possible future runway across 485 is a long off plan, but the city is acquiring property in that area to keep this option open.  If you are using the "future plans" layer to get a 30,000 foot view of what the footprint of Charlotte might look like in the future, I would argue that a far flung runway is much more relevant than a reconfigured drop-off area.

Edited by archiham04

I think let's just cancel the whole completed thing.   I re-created a number of projects to move to completed and it seems that someone went in and deleted them, presumably not realizing they were looking at the completed layer.  

Let's just remove completed projects as always and not try to maintain that.

FYI - I deleted Alexander Village in URP.   http://www.crescentalexandervillage.com/    It is now leasing and available. 

I also removed District Flats at Church/Summit as they appear done and are doing a lot of marketing for leases.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/45016-southend-midrise-projects/?p=1330109

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to be right when you make a change, especially deletion.  It's helpful to post when you delete.

I added back Victoria on Pine.  It is a small project so it's no big deal, but it is only half complete.  Phase II will commence when the first two units are sold/rented.  

The joys of wiki.  

Transport Politic (@yfreemark) tweeted this link today: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zSwjHmqtdysQ.kRK8BiqqW5Ig

Looks like someone has been doing with Durham what we've done with CLT :)

edit: based on what I saw on that map, gave our new transit stations a little more prominence with icons.

Edited by tozmervo

Whoever put the Bryant Farms Rd extensions in the Ballantyne/Providence area -- shouldn't those be in the Long Term Plans layer?  Or is there some more immediate plan?  You didn't provide any links, and I'm unable to find any info that would indicate these will happen anytime soon.  Thanks for clarifying!

I put those on there because they are shown on the "virtual charlotte" GIS map.  My assumption is that if they are shown there, then the planning department must have a pretty heavy hand on keeping those on the front burner.  I would have not any objection to someone moving those to the future layer.  I know nothing about their schedule.