Center City Development Maps

kermit

VC shows projects on the Thoroughfare Plan and 2040 Metropolitan Transportation Plan

http://www.crtpo.org/plans-programs

Those are the very definition of Long Term Plans.   Items funded in the NCDOT TIP or the city's Capital Improvement Plan or past bonds should be only ones on the main project list, as those are projects in the 5y horizon. 

I don't see reference to that on the TIP, so it should be moved to the Long Term Plans section:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/Planning%20Document%20Library/LIVE_STIP.pdf

It seems to me that if you know of a team assembling land for a project that it should be added or a least it would be on the long term plans section for development.  

As for stalled and back-burner projects, it is hard to know when to remove those.   Obviously many on there now have possibly already been canceled in private or forgotten by the developer.    I think just update the status and unless we know of a project being canceled or replaced, to leave it on for now.   I know I have seen some on there already seem to be lost causes

Let's leave the scope of this map to be what it always has been, to show the real plans and real activities that are expected to lead to construction within a few years.    No harm in leaving something off until it progresses to the point of being interesting and truly something that ought to be reflected on a development map of the city or becomes clear that it is canceled.   

I guess what I'm saying is that a lost cause or a stalled project usually represents an assemblage of land or major rezoning that is likely to resurface as something.  It would be nice to keep this "hot spot" out there somewhere, so that if and when it comes back (in whatever form) people are not blindsided.

Ah yeah.   I guess we'll figure it out case-by-case then.  Just post before deleting. 

There are quite a few on there that have been dormant for a little while, but I'm not sure what point will be the one where we go ahead and remove them, unless we hear specifically that the project has been abandoned. 

^ Keep in mind that the dormant projects are actually data that reveals the 'hot' sections of town, thus keeping them in the map may serve as a poor-man's crystal ball showing where the next project may occur (I think this is what archiham was getting at)

In a perfect world the maps interface would have a calendar component which would automatically mark a project as dormant (and change its color but keep it in the map) if no one updated its status within 6 months, a year, whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or did some of the polygons get moved?  Maybe a glitch in google maps?  Or some remnant of the new aerials?

For instance, the two Mixed Use polygons near South and 277, also Woodfield Graham?  These are all WAY off.  Others I see are a little off, while most(?) are still okay.  I don't see any easy way to move a whole polygon -- such as inadvertent grab and drag, so that's why I'm thinking glitch?  Or maybe just me?  I hope it's just me.

Edit:  Hmmm, I guess you can move polygons by going into Edit mode on it, then dragging the whole thing.  I "fixed" one of the two below.  I'll wait to touch others until I get confirmation they're messed up for everybody.

mapserror_zps79648fec.jpg

Edited by grodney

I had assumed people were doing it by mistake.   If you use your keyboard arrows to navigate the map with a polygon selected, the polygon will be moved.

I have been fixing them as I see them, but I suspect one of two people are not aware they messing up the polygon they just looked at and it leaves them wrong.  

I had assumed people were doing it by mistake.   If you use your keyboard arrows to navigate the map with a polygon selected, the polygon will be moved.

I have been fixing them as I see them, but I suspect one of two people are not aware they messing up the polygon they just looked at and it leaves them wrong.  

I went in one day and every single polygon was off by about 25% so I fixed all. Hopefully I didn't cause the problem.

Just found out it's pretty easy to inadvertently move all markers for a group.  If you click on a group name in the left panel, such as "Residential", you'll see that *all* residential markers become highlighted.  You can then simply click-and-drag any single marker, and *all* markers move.

That's a pretty powerful and destructive "feature".  I can't think of why you would need to do that -- except maybe some kind of mass conflation to match a new underlying aerial?

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

imma gonna leave this here. 

http://www.charlottefive.com/charlottes-future-via-google-map-overlay-this-creation-is-unreal/

someone talked about fight club  :ph34r:

Ha ha ha ha ha, awesome. 

"From my simple research, I think a Wells Fargo tech lead named Rodney and a project architect/operations guy named Patrick put this together."

Or something. 

I mean the description on the map itself says "Development map collaboratively maintained by members of the urbanplanet message board, based on work by board member kermit.".

I seriously hope we don't have people screwing with it.  

It pisses me off to see things I have put in carefully and linked to sources get deleted and replaced with BS simple polygons on the wrong shape and wrong place and no sources.  (specifically the "Greenway District Park" in a made up spot on a made up irrational location and dumped into the future planning section.)   What is the point of me adding links to government sources and funding sources the prove something is in the next few years and carefully shaping it to match if some idiot is going to just delete it on the fly.

Not to mention, the time to change colors for no reason and border widths the size of the great wall of china.     

Please tell me there is a way to limit editors if this is going to just get out to the general uninformed public and get wrecked.  

I spent hours updating this map and copying sources, as have certain of you guys.  I hate that things can be deleted without any respect for the work that was entered, and to make the map LESS informative and LESS correct.  [/rant]

• Like 1

Yeah, although it doesn't seem the author realized it was fully edit-able -- so maybe the readers won't.

I just exported the KML in case there's a disaster.

Man, think of the millions of clicks.....we should have monetized it.....we could have funded Ricky Davis's vision for the Observer site.

post-17104-0-17463000-1420823735_thumb.j

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Swedish_Chef_Sounds

I seriously hope we don't have people screwing with it.  

It pisses me off to see things I have put in carefully and linked to sources get deleted and replaced with BS simple polygons on the wrong shape and wrong place and no sources.  (specifically the "Greenway District Park" in a made up spot on a made up irrational location and dumped into the future planning section.)   What is the point of me adding links to government sources and funding sources the prove something is in the next few years and carefully shaping it to match if some idiot is going to just delete it on the fly.

Not to mention, the time to change colors for no reason and border widths the size of the great wall of china.     

Please tell me there is a way to limit editors if this is going to just get out to the general uninformed public and get wrecked.  

I spent hours updating this map and copying sources, as have certain of you guys.  I hate that things can be deleted without any respect for the work that was entered, and to make the map LESS informative and LESS correct.  [/rant]

Maybe when people make chances they should post on this site to clear them.

Yes, I can change the permission and allow the public to only VIEW.  Then grant individual edit access.

If you (i.e. someone "in charge") want me to do that (on a temporary or permanent basis), let me know.