Center City Development Maps

kermit

attachicon.gifSWEDISHCHEF.jpg

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Swedish_Chef_Sounds

Maybe when people make chances they should post on this site to clear them.

I think primarily if people just share here if deleting something, then it is clear.   It is the deletions that remove any content that has been linked, and when someone adds it back, it may not be the same.

From a look around, it seems like not as many things were changed.  Somehow I opened it up straight to NoDa and was like 'oh sht, where did that go'.  

Yeah, like you have, limit it to view for most and edits for just listed people for some time until traffic dies down.  It's a shame because wiki would be a good thing, absorbing widest possible sources of knowledge.  But it seems if accidents can happen then its better for view-only.

^ I vote for limited editing access (at least for the time being). If you are willing to manage that grodney then thanks in advance.

I'm happy to help.  I don't really "own" this thing in any way, and certainly don't claim to have any power over it.  I only "own" it I guess because I created the mapsengine version as proof-of-concept and it worked.  If somebody wants to create a new one and import the XML, that somebody could be the "owner" in a new incarnation. (Having said that, there's probably nothing stopping anybody from "stealing" the kml and making their own.)

So, given this and dubone's rant, I have made it view-only, at least temporarily.

tozmervo has access to edit, as does somebody at dlbunc at gmail dot com -- not sure if that's a UP contributor?

I guess send me PM's with your e-mail address so I can grant you access?  Is that the best way? 

Un-granting full access removes a lot of the wiki great-ness of it, but obviously mitigates some issues.

I don't know the best answer -- you guys tell me.

Maybe we all just take a break from editing for a week and open it back up after that?

Edited by grodney

I don't mind putting it under UP control through our Google Apps account. Assuming it would also be backed up as well so maybe that would be a good option? I don't contribute to the map but since it is contributed to by UP members, maybe it would be best for UP to host the original?

Let me know if you guys approve of this option.

• Like 1

Okay, I've requested permission to edit the existing map which should give me a access to the list of folks with existing permissions. I think it also allows me to create the new map on the official UrbanPlanet.org Google Apps account and link it to any updates that occur on the old map. I would prefer that option as it would (assumably) pick up any changes that were made during the transition. I don't want anyone's hard work to be lost.

I'll also work to embed the map on the site somewhere. I think I can get it embedded in the first post of this topic unless there is something I'm not seeing. I don't allow regular members to post HTML for obvious reasons, but I can escape those boundaries.  :tough:

Alright guys, this has been taken over by our Google Apps account. I would recommend leaving the old map as view only permissions so we don't have any accidents of folks editing the wrong map.

• Everyone that previously had edit permissions now has permissions to the new location.
  • Colors for use types may have changed in accordance with map standards for coloring use types (the colors reset for me when I imported the KML so I just set them up this way). Let me know if this creates a problem or a color or two need to be changed.
  • I'm not really going to be contributing to the map, just want to centralize where it is stored to 'future proof' it.
  • I have updated the first post in this thread with the new link and I have also embedded the map into the post (yay).

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do for this and I will get on it! Thanks all!

• Like 1

Looks good to me.  Thanks!  I would only suggest you remove the link to my (old) map from the first post.  (I have made the old map read-only and also changed the title.)

Sorry for the delay. I finally fixed this. I've been overwhelmed with work for my day job so I haven't had much chance to catch up on things here lately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

good map.... the parking garage part might be a little more complicated... I think that more of the Church St parking decks shown in 2015 were around in 1993.  for instance, my mom remembers parking in the Independance Center Parking deck in the 1960's to shop at Belk's and Ivey's and see movies at Carolina Theater.

you might want to stick to surface lots.

good map.... the parking garage part might be a little more complicated... I think that more of the Church St parking decks shown in 2015 were around in 1993.  for instance, my mom remembers parking in the Independance Center Parking deck in the 1960's to shop at Belk's and Ivey's and see movies at Carolina Theater.

you might want to stick to surface lots.

Agreed, the garages are almost a necessary evil in some cases, or past the point of no return. But otherwise, nice work.

Is there any possibility of grabbing this development map as a KMZ file for Google Earth? 

I don't know what you mean, but: I just exported it in KML, and was able to drag and drop the KML directly onto Google Earth and everything came into Earth perfectly (it appears).

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...