Center City Development Maps

kermit

render-1.jpg

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/42128-redevelopment-of-stonewall-sites-in-2nd-ward-by-belk-freeway/page__st__20I

I remember staring at these renderings all the time. Cool to watch how it is playing out. Like VUE got built not only before 210 Trade, but was the only of the 2 built. Ritz Carlton & BOA was built. One Charlotte cancled. Instead of those 2 midrises, we got the Fountains at Stone wall. 21 Story Childress Klein instead of 12 Hotel. Hyatt Hotel (Former Hotel Sierra... It's hyatt now... right?). I think in 2013, the new skyscrapers announced will make our skyline look more impressive than the outcome of this rendering. There's a lot of rumblings so we'll see what happens.

Could anyone do a rendering like this except updated with all the currently planned projects? unfortunately im not sure if the skyline will ever look as good as it does.  A lot of these buildings have been replaced with much smaller ones.  

• 2 weeks later...

You have the Morgan Group apartments at Ideal and South in the wrong parcel.  That parcel is where Long Animal Hospital is halfway done.   

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/morgan-group-looking-at-south-end-site.html?page=all

NW corner means between South and the Lynx where Cherokee once planned what was originally to be "Southline".

• 1 month later...

^ My preference is to keep the map limited to new construction rather than just refitting existing space (which would filter out Old Meck, Sycamore and the other brewery refits).

I created the map to chart the process of urban change in the inner-ring. Is the Rugby Center enough of a transformation of the old driving range to warrant inclusion in your opinion?

^ My preference is to keep the map limited to new construction rather than just refitting existing space (which would filter out Old Meck, Sycamore and the other brewery refits).

I created the map to chart the process of urban change in the inner-ring. Is the Rugby Center enough of a transformation of the old driving range to warrant inclusion in your opinion?

Only time will tell, I'm optimistic that the answer will be yes, but if you apply your new construction vs. refit logic, it needs to be excluded.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if the moderator is tracking new infill single-family housing projects as well, but there's been a recent announcement of two new David Weekley sites to be redeveloped for townhouses (55 in total between the two sites). They're located right near the Lowes on the south side of Iverson and right behind the brand new Vet clinic at Ideal Way and South.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/11/weekley-homes-townhouses-sedgefield.html?iana=ind_rre

Sorry about the footdragging lately, I have FINALLY updated the map. I am sure I missed / messed up a few things so don't hesitate to send corrections. The combination of additions and deletions makes me feel like the era of mega projects in Southend is nearing an end (but they may be picking up on Central / PM). But they appear to be getting replaced by the smaller infil projects which the neighborhood still needs.

I was sorry to delete some of the projects because they were so dramatic (e.g. Bearden Park and the ballpark)

I Added the following projects:

Homewood Suites: Trade and Church

Dilworth Hotel Project: (Worthington and Cleveland)

Sedgefield shopping center

Large Plaza / Central project adjacent to CSX and Independence

Two Townhome projects by David Weekley. One on Ideal (behind Macs and the new Long animal clinic), the other on Iverson across from Lowes.

I accidentally deleted the info (but not the map feature) for the apartments in Dilworth at Tremont and Euclid. I’ll refill those details net time I encounter them.

I also made a few name changes, added links to some renderings etc.

I Eliminated the following projects:

“Proposed 4 story condo” This was a small infill on North Davidson between Herrin and Craighead.  Gateway properties was the developer. It is now essentially complete.

Romare Bearden Park: Complete

Park and Kingston: Essentially complete

Fountains at New Bern: Complete

The Cottages on Euclid: Essentially complete

Knights Ballpark: its basically done.

Knights Hotel project (ballpark): I am tired of waiting for the announcement, I will put it back if there is any news

Strawn CHA project (South and Lexington): Overbuilding in Southend suggests this may have to wait.

Double Oaks: I _think_ this is nearly complete

Sky Condos / Hyatt Place: The hotel is open

Hines Gateway Station project adjacent parcels: Gateway station remains as a placeholder, the remainder of the Hines project parcels (NCDOT owned) have been deleted since this project appears to be dead.

NS Intermodal Yard: Complete

I also nuked some Southpark stuff that was on the second page -- sorry about my latent hostility to the SP area.

Edited by kermit

Knights Hotel project (ballpark): I am tired of waiting for the announcement, I will put it back if there is any news

A Knights rep was at the last 3rd ward neighborhood meeting and mentioned the hotel.  This is from the Nov 23rd newsletter:

"Plans are being made for numerous special events during the inaugural season of the new facility. The possible hotel on W. 4th St. may come to fruition during a Phase Two that would occur after the first baseball season."

This is the only news I've heard in a long time.

The land between Off Broadway and Cannon Pharmacy will be a 36,000 sq. foot office building with 6,000 sq feet retail. There rest of the site will be surface parking along the side and a 2 floor parking deck along the rear of the property.

• 1 month later...