Did Jim Bourey take the details with him?

gs3

I always thought the exceptional detail level that I had come to know in Greenville was a product of Knox White, but lately, I'm wondering....was that high level of detail a product of Jim Bourey?

Almost to the day in 2010 that Jim left his city position, I have seen a gradual decline in the detail level in Greenville.....new sidewalks simply poured around power poles, piano keys on a sidewalk that do not look like piano keys, lighting issues on Main, issues with some of downtown's beautiful plantings, store fronts along Main allowed to keep temporary banner signs up for months into years now as their main form of signage, more questionable business openings in certain areas of the city.....the list goes on. Issues that used to NEVER happen in Greenville.

Me thinks Bourey was the detail man. Details are being missed right and left. Somebody needs to get on the ball.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't noticed the lighting problems on Main Street or planting problems downtown. :dontknow: And who cares if the sidewalk looks like piano keys or not. It's a sidewalk not a Steinway. I will agree with you on the temporary banners on storefronts and power poles though. ;)

I wasn't going to say anything, but after two other sour posts I think someone is in a bad mood.

No "someone" simply doesn't like the average, also ran, half-ass, mentality that seems to be slowly creeping into what I've held high as a great city.

Half ass doesn't get you this . . . http://www.onegreenville.com/ or this http://www.100east.net/ or this http://www.journalwatchdog.com/city/488-peace-center-expands or this http://nomasquare.com/. And we just got out of the greatest recession ever.

And the airport remodel, and Verdae, and etc, etc, etc. Those are all "large projects", not "details". Details in Greenville are slipping. There are cracks showing. They can be acknowledged and worked on or ignored and swept under the rug.

And the airport remodel, and Verdae, and etc, etc, etc. Those are all "large projects", not "details". Details in Greenville are slipping. There are cracks showing. They can be acknowledged and worked on or ignored and swept under the rug.

I agree. If you are spending public money on small enhancement projects, make sure the uniquely attractive details are part of the plans. The "piano keys" sidewalk enhancement was a fantastic concept, but has been horribly executed, in my opinion.

I agree. If you are spending public money on small enhancement projects, make sure the uniquely attractive details are part of the plans. The "piano keys" sidewalk enhancement was a fantastic concept, but has been horribly executed, in my opinion.

It's a SIDEWALK. Who cares what it looks like. It's made for function not aesthestics. Oh and I went down Brown Street last night and have to say it looks fantastic. Loved the signage on both ends especially. :shades:

It's a SIDEWALK. Who cares what it looks like. It's made for function not aesthestics.

If that is the case, why was tax money wasted on a half-ass attempt at aesthetics? Why not just do a regular concrete sidewalk? There was a time when Greenville made sure every project was done to perfection. Back to my orginal posting of this thread.....did this perfection start to die when Jim Bourey left? Seems so.

If that is the case, why was tax money wasted on a half-ass attempt at aesthetics? Why not just do a regular concrete sidewalk? There was a time when Greenville made sure every project was done to perfection. Back to my orginal posting of this thread.....did this perfection start to die when Jim Bourey left? Seems so.

Who said the "piano key" sidewak costed more money to construct than a regular concrete sidewalk of the same width would have? Jim Bourey didn't leave either. He got fired by city council because he wasn't doing his job to the best standards or correctly.

It's a SIDEWALK. Who cares what it looks like. It's made for function not aesthestics. Oh and I went down Brown Street last night and have to say it looks fantastic. Loved the signage on both ends especially. :shades:

If it is just a sidewalk, then why was the extra effort spent to be creative with the design? Either it's a detail worth paying attention to, or it's not. Regardless, the execution was sloppy and uninspired.

I'm starting to believe that this entire "upgrade" of Brown Street was a bad idea. For a very unimportant downtown street with one cool jazz club and little else to offer, we now have dramatic arches, piano sidewalks, new lighting, etc. I realize that they are hoping to spur future development, but this poor effort isn't likely to fool many potential quality businesses.

If it is just a sidewalk, then why was the extra effort spent to be creative with the design? Either it's a detail worth paying attention to, or it's not. Regardless, the execution was sloppy and uninspired.

I'm starting to believe that this entire "upgrade" of Brown Street was a bad idea. For a very unimportant downtown street with one cool jazz club and little else to offer, we now have dramatic arches, piano sidewalks, new lighting, etc. I realize that they are hoping to spur future development, but this poor effort isn't likely to fool many potential quality businesses.

Okay...fine. The piano keys don't look like piano keys but there is nothing we can do about it now unless you want to the city to spend even more taxpayer dollars going in and re-doing it all. The project is now complete so complaining about it now won't do much good sadly except for in regards to future improvement projects so this problem doesn't happen again. Oh and I still think the Brown Street improvement project looks fantastic and was a great idea either way even with the piano keys mishap. :thumbsup:

Have y'all seen Cleveland Park lately? Under Castille, not Bourey, extremely nice detailed touches have been done. Look at the black wooden fences that border the trails or the bridge that connects the Swamp Rabbit. We can go back and forth on details or the lack off. None of them are detrimental to the city the city as whole -- nor will they ever be. Brown Street still makes an incredible statement, as will the Hyatt regardless of its cursed name. Stop nit-picking every crack in the sidewalk.

I was just down at Falls Park which was completely re-landscaped a few weeks ago and I have to say it is the best I have seen it look in years.

Also went down Brown Street today and all I could do was say WOW at the changes made. Nothing short of awesome.

I think a lot of the reason downtown appears to not look as spiffy right now as usual is due to all of the construction projects going on currently. That will definitely make any downtown look messy until finished.

Who said the "piano key" sidewalk costed more money to construct than a regular concrete sidewalk of the same width would have?

Who said the pseudo-piano key-like design was added free of charge? Concrete stains and dyes are not free. I've never heard of a company offering to lay it out and apply it free of charge.

Who said the pseudo-piano key-like design was added free of charge? Concrete stains and dyes are not free. I've never heard of a company offering to lay it out and apply it free of charge.

I'm done arguing about it with you and others. If you have any more complaints regarding this or other projects, take it up with the city.

Has anyone here ever seen granite inlays in concrete in a sidewalk? The 'polish' wouldn't last too long.

Has there ever been any mention of doing so on Brown Street? What we were promised is what we got. It is a huge improvement. And yes, it was the right place to do it.

What with the planters and such, the sidewalk was never going to look exactly like a set of piano keys. It is a nod to the music scene that is being emphasized.

Jim Bourney nor John Castille would be responsible for these design details either.

If Brown street can become an "entertainment district," with a nice collection of live music venues, then I'll be among the first to acknowledge that these efforts to spruce up the street were successful.

As many of us have been saying for years, one thing Greenville needs more of is live music. I would love to see one of the new additions be a nice sized venue like Music Farm in Charleston, SC. That would take Greenville's entertainment to the next level.

• 1 month later...

The sugar cookie store's permanent sign is now being putting up. Their temporary banner sign along with Palmetto Shades have both been taken down. Except for the coming soon establishments and Verizon who is waiting on their new permanent sign, there should be no more banner type signage downtown. If you do see any that has been up longer than 30 days and is from an establishment already open except for Verizon please contact the Planning and Development Department. Their phone number can be found towards the bottom of this link: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/signs.aspx

I like that the City of Greenville is attempting to control the proliferation of ad hoc signage. The city should require all companies that make and sell "temporary" signs (many of which seem to end up being permanent) to provide each customer with a copy of relevant regulations.

Does anyone know whether Greenville County has any similar sign ordinance(s)? How about Mauldin? There seems to be a lot of sign spam cluttering up intersections, such as those along Woodruff Rd., including abandoned political signs left over from the primary that was more than two months ago.

^ Riverwalker, I notice you use the word "attempting". I would like to see the city have more strict enforcement. Make businesses that clutter the roadway with ad hoc signs pay dearly. Certain intersections are sure to always have these signs. I've even been known to get out of the car while waiting at a light, take the signs down, put them in my trunk and haul to the trash. They magically show back up........some as soon as 24 hours later.

Archived