South End vs Plaza Midwood

Dub_Ag

Which is the more desirable neighborhood to live in?

With the recent new Mid-Rise developments in South End and Plaza Midwood, i figured i start a thread debating the likes of living in South End vs Plaza Midwood. I personally would prefer to live in South End with the amount of recent emphasis in the area from the city and new development, light rail, etc, I believe a lot of new retail and restaurants will follow creating a unique, cool, and vibrant area.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like this vs that threads. Honestly, I would take a look at which neighborhood has had the most development as of recent years to which one out of the two is the most desirable as of right now. In my opinion, each neighborhood caters to a different kinds of people.

Southpark/Ballantyne/Myers Park would be my picks if we had any choice, but between the two, I think Plaza. Southend is too commercialized I think. And all the new condo buildings would get on my nerves. I love southend a lot. I just don't want to live there.

This should probably be in the coffee house.

Apples to oranges IMO, despite the fact that parts of both have a hipster/arty reputation. I think the main difference is that much more of Southend's population is apartment-dwelling, and therefore more transient (case in point, I myself liked it but was in and out in 1 year). The increasing urbanity definitely makes it exciting right now, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of community pride aside from what you find on Camden and cozy places like Common Market. Plaza Midwood is more established and seems like more of a cohesive community, but the connectivity to other neighborhoods is pretty poor in comparison right now.

This should probably be in the coffee house.

Apples to oranges IMO, despite the fact that parts of both have a hipster/arty reputation. I think the main difference is that much more of Southend's population is apartment-dwelling, and therefore more transient (case in point, I myself liked it but was in and out in 1 year). The increasing urbanity definitely makes it exciting right now, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of community pride aside from what you find on Camden and cozy places like Common Market. Plaza Midwood is more established and seems like more of a cohesive community, but the connectivity to other neighborhoods is pretty poor in comparison right now.

Speaking of which, here is an interesting (and apparently old) map

400px-Charlotte_districts_map.png

Speaking of which, here is an interesting (and apparently old) map

400px-Charlotte_districts_map.png

Who made that map? it is quite an interesting map. Of course it only notes the most well known neighborhoods in the city. Its kinda nice to see the neighborhood boundaries on one map.

I love both neighborhoods. I think if you could mix the connectivity (Lynx) and proximity to center city of South End with the higher selection of eclectic stores and a larger selection of bars/restaurants of Plaza Midwood, it would be perfect. But that's just not how it is. I live in South End, and I envy Plaza Midwood for some things, but I am also glad I live in South End. And I think it would be vice versa if it were the other way around.

I am going to compare vs battle them per se (friendly battle, of course), but I see South End more and more as an extension of Downtown both for density and for height of many buildings. This has allowed it (and will continue to allow it) to build a a seamless sort of experience for residents and visitors traveling between the major hoods of the area (downtown, midtown, Dilworth)

I see Plaza as more of an attraction within itself than as an organic extension of other neighborhoods. It is a hood that is thriving by having an feel and establishments you seek out more than come across. It's also the kind of hood that I think visitors and tourists seek out to see what the "real" Charlotte is about. When I say "real" I mean the original type of buildings and businesses that grew up in those businesses type of feel versus modern construction.

Here's my old map (and aside from some artistic right to make the lines less jagged, the boundaries are taken right from the city neighborhood maps): http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc3/18151_1193920656655_1487589120_30448129_891041_n.jpg

Now, as for SE vs. PM, it's weird to me that they can be compared, since SE grew from an industrial aesthetic, and PM grew from a planned out single-family neighborhood. I could see comparing Dilworth with PM, or even SE with NoDa. But the fabric of the two places are just so different (despite what they may be used for today).

Southpark/Ballantyne/Myers Park would be my picks if we had any choice, but between the two, I think Plaza. Southend is too commercialized I think. And all the new condo buildings would get on my nerves. I love southend a lot. I just don't want to live there.

You would choose Ballantyne or Myers Park, but find Southend too commercialized? Could you clarify your reasoning on that? I'm just curious.

I totally agree that the fabric between the two places are inherently different and therefore people from all different walks of life choose each accordingly. I dont foresee a ton of new development in Elizabeth, Myers Park, Dilworth or the likes and NoDa is still a far ways away from "developing", so since there's a lot of emphasis on development and city money being poured into both Plaza and SE and their comparative proximity to employment, city centers and Uptown, create enough similarities between the two that a spirited debate or simple personal preference post would be an interesting topic.

From my limited experience and exposure to this site, I've gathered that the readers/posters themselves come from all walks of life around Charlotte, from the obvious RE insiders, to the interested 3rd party civilians, to the NIMBY's and many more. It's good to have collaboration and enjoy getting to read so many different thoughts from fellow locals.

I think the biggest flaw in the South End is that it lacks the funky neighborhood restaurants and bars that Midwood is known for. Camden at Tryon has the feel to replicate or reproduce at least a similar atmosphere but the lack of parking seems like the biggest hurdle to get restaurants/bars into those spaces. Hopefully the increased rooftops in the walkable area over the next few years will change that.

You would choose Ballantyne or Myers Park, but find Southend too commercialized? Could you clarify your reasoning on that? I'm just curious.

Perhaps it was a poor use of wording. I think Industrial and urban was the word I was looking for and SouthEnd seems to be becoming an extension of downtown. I like neighborhoods with big tree's, big houses, and lots of green. That's what I love about Myers. I love Ballantyne because it also has a lot of green (not tall, but still green) and I just find it beautiful and suburban and ritzy. Ballantyne has a lot of retail, but it's glitzy. Too bad I can't afford to live there ;)

img_2783.JPG

That - to me - is nothing below perfect and what I desire in a neighborhood to live in.

I like PM for its full-service downtown (everything from groceries to novelties), adjacency to other up-and-coming areas (Uptown, Elizabeth, NoDa), accessibility to minorities (Belmont, East Charlotte), mix of housing (shotguns to mansions; apartments and condos), gateway international district (Asian and Latin American businesses), and numerous gay-owned businesses (Dish, Zada Jane's, Penguin, Petra's, Happy Box, Georgetown, Eco-Licious, and MoNA).

South End's strengths would appear to be LYNX, Uptown access, apartments, and art galleries. But PM around Pecan/Central has frequent bus service (#9 most frequent, but also served by 17 and 39), is increasingly filling-in towards Uptown (evident in business growth and new apartments around Central/Hawthorne and 10th/Louise), and has its own decent share of galleries and art shops (MoNA, Twenty Two, Queen's Gallery, Green with Envy, City Supply, Slate Interiors, and Bead Lush).

The fill-in you speak of is definitely evident around Hawthore/Central. I can't tell you how many times I've jogged by that church on the corner and imagined turning it into a sweet restaurant/bar/music venue (perfect acoustics) to service the growing urban population base around that area. Oh to dream...

• 4 years later...

Archived