Nashville Retail Thread.

it's just dave

Looks like this isn't a premature thread any longer. Might as well get this going. With Kinney bath works, the rumored Fresh Market and now an Urban Outfitters to open a 12,000 sq. ft. location in the City Hall location. Amazing past couple of weeks with Trader Joe's, Nordstrom (in Green Hills) and now Urban Outfitters DOWNTOWN. Life is good in the hood.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...NESS01/80429025

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like this isn't a premature thread any longer. Might as well get this going. With Kinney bath works, the rumored Fresh Market and now an Urban Outfitters to open a 12,000 sq. ft. location in the City Hall location. Amazing past couple of weeks with Trader Joe's, Nordstrom (in Green Hills) and now Urban Outfitters DOWNTOWN. Life is good in the hood.

Wow... this is huge!

I had no idea.. kinda sad to see City Hall close (except for the parking/traffic nightmares it creates), but awesome to see real retail coming to the Gulch... and destination retail, at that! The closest is in Atlanta, is it not?

Wow! Three of my favorite large retailers anounced in our market the same month...

...and this one is in the Gulch! I don't know if I would necessarily call an Urban destination retail like I would Nordstrom or TJ's but I love their mix clothing, shoes and household goods. It's almost criminal that they are just now entering this market but they chose an absolutely perfect location at the right time. I'd much rather have an "urban" Urban Outiftters than one stuck in a mall.

Now, if only IKEA will announce a store opening tomorrow. :silly:

It's great to see actual prominent urban retail finally start to filter into the urban core! I hate to see such an amazing and unique concert venue in City Hall go by the wayside, but the truth is, they probably wouldn't have renewed the lease anyway, and with things like Urban Outfitters coming into the area, I'm sure other great bars and concert venues will follow.

I'm excited about the Urban Outfitters, but I am stunned to hear that City Hall will close. Wish there were more details available on that part of this deal. Maybe the new place across from Radius 10 will sort of take its place, though I don't know the planned size of it.

I believe the building owner asked City Hall to leave at the end of their lease. The guys who run City Hall claim they were successful and were going to relocate to another part of town. We definitely need a venue the size of City Hall in Nashville.

.. hopefully back into the Gulch!

City Hall definitely increased the foot traffic when they had events going on... but im sure Urban Outfitters will do the same.

It is a shame to see City Hall close but I think UO could ultimately do more for the area at such a prime spot. With the recent announcements, I have a feeling we have some more great retail for which to look forward especially in the Gulch.

Does anyone remember when City Hall was 328 Performance Hall? I remember seeing acts like Weezer there before they blew up back in the '90's. Good times. I agree with jice. It would be nice to see them remain nearby in the Gulch.

328 Performance Hall wasn't at the same location, it was on 3rd Ave. downtown. Unless you meant the same ownership... which I'm not positive on that. We're still reeling from losing 328. It was the right sized venue for a lot of bands who couldn't fit in to the arenas or amphitheaters but would sell out the Exit/Ins too quickly. I think we'll see them open another club of similar size soon.

It's about time!

328 Performance Hall wasn't at the same location, it was on 3rd Ave. downtown. Unless you meant the same ownership... which I'm not positive on that. We're still reeling from losing 328. It was the right sized venue for a lot of bands who couldn't fit in to the arenas or amphitheaters but would sell out the Exit/Ins too quickly. I think we'll see them open another club of similar size soon.

You're right now that I think about it. The "hall" part and similar-styled concert venues got me confused. Thanks for the heads up.

Are they going to tear down the building? I assume not, but it doesn't seem like that's big enough to hold UO. I hate to see City Hall go.... it's like a gentrified area is gentrifying!

I doubt they'd tear it down. The current building seems like a perfect fit for the vibe of Urban.

Are they going to tear down the building? I assume not, but it doesn't seem like that's big enough to hold UO. I hate to see City Hall go.... it's like a gentrified area is gentrifying!

I hope they don't tear it down...

I wonder if the Provence bakery is being asked to leave that building as well?

From what I saw on the news this morning, they are just moving into that space and City Hall is going to look elsewhere for another location. The building stays as is. They had another year left on the lease and were asked by the developers in the Gulch to move and they agreed.

Over on the Nashville Scene's music blog there's an interview with the owners of City Hall. The owners of the building gave them a nice offer to leave their lease early and apparently the City Hall guys are relishing the idea of building a new performance space from scratch. The sound was never that great there and they were aware of it. So there will definitely be a City Hall (at least in spirit and venue size) somewhere in Nashville soon. It's worth checking out that interview.

Me, too. Of course, I'm really still wondering why the Urban Outfitters didn't simply take one of the ground-floor retail spaces in Icon.

That's a good point.. im assuming there isnt a space large enough in the ICON. Looks like the largest single space is 6,700 sq ft, whereas City Hall is 12,000 sq ft

This is indeed huge for Nashville and the Gulch, and should provide the impetus for the significant amount of retail space in the Icon and Terrazzo to get leased. And since the timeline is for an early 2009 opening, there's little doubt in my mind they plan to not tear anything down.

Friends,

My understanding is both the owners of City Hall and Marketstreet (the owners of the building and the master developer of the Gulch) are on very good terms. So everything should be fine there.

It will be interesting to see where City Hall relocates. I would love to see it in North Capitol. That could help get that district moving along faster.

ESU/WW

Friends,

My understanding is both the owners of City Hall and Marketstreet (the owners of the building and the master developer of the Gulch) are on very good terms. So everything should be fine there.

It will be interesting to see where City Hall relocates. I would love to see it in North Capitol. That could help get that district moving along faster.

ESU/WW

I was just wondering tonight about where they could relocate... and thought they might work well in the north Gulch area... ? Up there near 12th & Porter, and that new club/restaurant. Might have some parking issues as well there though... but there are quite a few open lots it seems... and an old antique mall that looks to be vacant.

I agree on the North Capitol as well, though... or maybe even the East Bank! Plenty of parking over there right now :)

I almost wish that they would spring for an ampitheatre simply due to the fact that Nashville desperately needs one. Ever sence starwood got leveled, Nashville has lost countless shows to Atlanta and Charlotte simply because they have ampitheaters that seat large crowds with ample parking. I understand money is an issue though. I kind of look for them to settle in the northside of town but who knows.

This is a double winner for nashville. We get an urban outfitters (which I will personally be shopping at) AND a new concert venue. Sweet...

Archived