Nashville Retail Thread.

it's just dave

Provence Breads is moving their bakery out of the Gulch, and into an office park in Donelson..

which leaves another retail space vacant in the up-and-coming Gulch neighborhood. (this one directly across from the Turnip Truck)

Kinda sad to see them go.. i'll miss the aroma of fresh bread that you get occasionally, for sure!

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2010/8/16/the_food_biz_gulch_pioneer_says_adieu

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

While I was in the Gulch for lunch today, I thought about how bittersweet the development of the neighborhood has been thus far. The 24/7 diner is a great idea but I think even more retail will come as soon as more people live in the area. The neighborhood will really blossom even more over time as the economy improves but part of me sort of feels as if the Gulch developers dropped the ball a bit out of the gate. I think developers should have thought to complement condo projects like ICON and Terrazzo with an apartment building with price points in the "sweet spot" for the younger crowd craving that sort of environment without deep pockets.

I can't help but think Velocity would be close to full by now if it was all apartments. Nix some of the nicer but unnecessary features like high-end fixtures and high-end gym. Keep some of the smart ones like well-designed and usable common spaces. Price the units in the $700-$1000 range for one bedrooms and $1,000-$1,300 for two bedrooms. A couple of decent developments like this and voilà! Suddenly the Gulch is buzzing with activity from the young professionals and hipsters it's trying to attract now with retail like Urban Outfitters. More stores would follow and people would be more prone to purchasing pricier residential in the area.

I still think a large reason Nashvillians have been slower to accept urban living than some of our peers is not because of lack of interest but because the price points are too high for the market.

While I was in the Gulch for lunch today, I thought about how bittersweet the development of the neighborhood has been thus far. The 24/7 diner is a great idea but I think even more retail will come as soon as more people live in the area. The neighborhood will really blossom even more over time as the economy improves but part of me sort of feels as if the Gulch developers dropped the ball a bit out of the gate. I think developers should have thought to complement condo projects like ICON and Terrazzo with an apartment building with price points in the "sweet spot" for the younger crowd craving that sort of environment without deep pockets.

I can't help but think Velocity would be close to full by now if it was all apartments. Nix some of the nicer but unnecessary features like high-end fixtures and high-end gym. Keep some of the smart ones like well-designed and usable common spaces. Price the units in the $700-$1000 range for one bedrooms and $1,000-$1,300. A couple of decent develops like this and voilà! Suddenly the Gulch is buzzing with activity from the young professionals and hipsters it's trying to attract now with retail like Urban Outfitters. More stores would follow and people would be more prone to purchasing pricier residential in the area.

I still think a large reason Nashvillians have been slower to accept urban living than some of our peers is not because of lack of interest but because the price points are too high for the market.

I agree totally. Just build, nice, attractive, no frills apartments downtown, with reasonable rents, and watch the place overflow with new residents. Not that many people want to pay $400000 for a 700 foot condo in an urban environment not exactly brimming with...urbanity.

I can't help but think Velocity would be close to full by now if it was all apartments. Nix some of the nicer but unnecessary features like high-end fixtures and high-end gym. Keep some of the smart ones like well-designed and usable common spaces. Price the units in the $700-$1000 range for one bedrooms and $1,000-$1,300 for two bedrooms. A couple of decent developments like this and voilà! Suddenly the Gulch is buzzing with activity from the young professionals and hipsters it's trying to attract now with retail like Urban Outfitters. More stores would follow and people would be more prone to purchasing pricier residential in the area.

AJow,

Agreed 100 percent.

WW

Great post! Yes, developers made a big mistake. Those wanting to live in urban areas are not the people living in Brentwood ,in their McMansions, but progressives who want minimal, green, and sustainable living in the city. Had Tony Giarratana built Signature Tower with 500 apartments, the tower would be finished and fully leased.

I agree on Velocity. My wife and I have looked at all three developments in the Gulch. If we could get a two bedroom in velocity for $175,000 we would sell and move in a minute. Not everyone wants an amenity driven building and that was another mistake. I want to lift weights privately in my unit, I don't want a meat market workout facility! ICON seems to promote the dating scene rather than living for mature couples. That is where Velocity failed. The same with Icon. You don't need two work out rooms and so much public space designed for the 18-30 crowd. All three properties Icon, Velocity, and Terrazzo have many college kids living in units their parents bought for them, and that is a shame. The Gulch should have be designed for the downtown worker, empty nest couples, people trying to downsize, single mature adults, and people who want to live in the city to make the city their home. Icon is too much of a rich kids vacation resort and when we took the tour we felt the salesman was going out of his way to talk us out of a unit because we were not socialite hard-body 20 year old's.

I will say that there are many older people in the "sweet spot" as well. Many age groups would appreciate a smaller price point. The Gulch has become too much of a "party" neighborhood. I think we will be looking at 1101 18th avenue south, and other such non amenity driven properties.

MTSUBR86

These were taken about 2 weeks ago, so things have progressed a little since, but here are a few pics.

They are still working on the future Virago site, across the street from Whiskey Kitchen (a part of "M Street"). Recently added the nice looking hardwood... all the bricks were painted a while back (except for the small section you see in 2 pics)... and the windows/doorways have been reworked. I'm still not entirely sure what they are up to with the concrete behind the windows and what not... but excited to see more activity in the Gulch area!

008.jpg

009-1.jpg

The future "M Street":

006-2.jpg

Also further up 12th.. across from 12th & Porter.. .there is a new BBQ joint that opened in the old Judge Bean's location.. it is apparently now open, although I haven't tried it yet. This is in the same building as the nightclub called 'mai' (the lighter colored brick portion).

017-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

019.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ESU and I went into the Turnip Truck yesterday and what a store it is! It is extremely expensive and not designed for the family on a budget. This is an expensive version of Whole Foods and geared toward the single person or couple with a very high income. I saw a bag of pretzels for $9! $50 would not buy you a couple of days of groceries let alone a week.

Its a beautiful store but shop with caution.

BR86

• 1 month later...

More retail is supposed to be coming to the Gulch soon...

The Division street side of ICON is getting a clothing store called "Bullets & Mullets"... supposed to be very unique and geared towards the younger generation. Apparently planned to be open already, but should be opening soon.

Their website:

http://bulletsmullets.com

And Twitter:

http://twitter.com/bulletsnmullets

Sweet CeCe's frozen yogurt is opening in the 12th Ave side retail of the Turnip Truck building. March 1, 2011 opening.

http://nashvillecitylivingblog.com/2010/11/12/sweet-ceces-coming-to-the-gulch/

Back on M Street (McGavock), work should be started on the Kayne Prime steakhouse.

Also next door to Virago is supposed to be Lime, which recently closed the Midtown location (to be converted to a pub).

And apparently another of the buildings on M Street is going to be a 1,500 person entertainment venue.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101208/BUSINESS01/12080394/2094/business

• 4 months later...

Just to update on this... all mentioned above are now open.

Sweet CeCe's opened in March, Bullets & Mullets opened sometime in the past few months.. and Kayne Prime just opened a few days ago.

No sign of the Lime relocation yet.. but i'd imagine we'll see some work soon.

Plus now that we have several more people moving into the Velocity.. word is the retail interest is much stronger. Maybe we'll hear something soon..

• 4 weeks later...

Apricot Lane is moving into the Gulch, next to Sweet CeCe's. Supposed to be open in June.

This store was apparently in the Mall at Green Hills.. and had opened the store there based on the Nordstrom opening.. I wonder why they changed their mind.. maybe the Gulch is just a better fit.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2011/5/18/boutique_bolts_green_hills_for_gulch

• 2 weeks later...

A few recent openings on 8th Ave in the Gulch area....

Royal Icing, a bakery at 8th & Palmer

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/royal-icing

Jackalope Brewing at 701 8th Ave S

http://jackalopebrew.com

This one is kinda exciting because they are just starting out... opened May 21... it's fun to read their blog as they begin their journey :)

Fish & Grits at 8th & Division

http://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/fish-and-grits

I have no idea about this one... but they are open 24/7!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Next to the Velocity.. in the old sales center building.. the space is being renovated for E.T. Burk, which is an upscale furniture store..

The main page of their website has a rendering of it, if you wait for it to scroll through. Looks totally different!

http://etburk.com/

Also, Two Old Hippies is now open.. and Bar Louie has started construciton.

Does anyone know of any discussions/rumors of a parking garage being built in the Gulch? I ask this in reference to a conversation with a CSX official that said a parking garage may be built to include a new CSX office for their Kayne Yard. Also, if there is a Nashville forum specifically for questions, could I politely be directed to it.

Archived