Nashville Retail Thread.

it's just dave

Does anyone know of any discussions/rumors of a parking garage being built in the Gulch? I ask this in reference to a conversation with a CSX official that said a parking garage may be built to include a new CSX office for their Kayne Yard. Also, if there is a Nashville forum specifically for questions, could I politely be directed to it.

This is the correct forum/topic to ask that kind of question, although I don't have an answer. It is fun to hear from someone who has even the most innocuous snippet of inside information. It often is the tip of the iceberg.

I haven't seen any posts that address the subject of a specifically proposed parking garage. It makes a lot of sense, however. And I have wondered if that would be a possibilty someday as surface lots are eliminated by development and more retail and dining comes to the area. Several businesses already use valet parking to serve their customers. I can see the City working out an agreement with CSX; City gets land, CSX gets office space, Gulch gets ample parking and more retail space. However, I don't see the economics being right for a private developer to build a garage right now. I think it would be a City project.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mention of a parking garage near the Demonbreun viaduct piqued my curiosity, as this is exactly what I have thought needs to be built there. Retail on the front side would bring more of Eleventh Ave to life, and parking in the back would bring a needed infrastructure that doesn't matter if it faces the rail yard. If something like this is built, can it be connected to Eleventh and Demonbreun to create a closer link with Cummins Station and the MCC area? I know it can be done physically, but can it be done in compliance with the master plan for developing the area?

I seem to remember, when the viaduct was built, someone saying that opening onto Demonbreun was part of the plan for the bridge.. as development happens next to it. Such as the Bohan building. So if this is true, then I could see it opening onto Demonbreun and 11th both.

As for parking.. it would be nice if we could find a way to better connect and make use of that old MTA buliding with the parking garage underneath.. next to Cummins Station.

The Bohan building and MTA building connectons are the exact examples I had in mind, as well as the Gibson Guitars on Church St. Speaking of Church St., will the eleven north development be attached to both 11th and Church? I think the geography of this area creates the opportunity to build in a very unique way. Having buildings that have multi street access that occurs on different levels would not be easy to recreate somewhere else.

The MTA building has always been an oddity to me. It is built in a way that seems to only accomplish getting ramps to a surface lot. Lots of wasted space without accomplishing much. Not that it matters. That lot is always empty. A very striking contrast to the "train shed" lot next to it that is always full. That lot would be a good location for a "real" parking garage that served MCC overflow and the Gulch. But I don't think anyone visiting the Gulch would ever use it until all surface parking is non-existant due to development.

I agree that this is a unique opportunity.. it reminds me somewhat of Chicago.. one example that comes to mind is the infamous "Billy Goat Tavern" (the original one)

Unfortunately, my guess is Eleven North will not connect to Church street.. but maybe we will be surprised.

• 2 months later...

It looks like the 'green' retail building at 1000 Division Street may be starting soon?

I was browsing some apartment listings in the area, and came across several for this address, saying available March 2012.. I assume for the top floors of the retail building? Unless they have changed it into apartments only...

http://hotpads.com/search#lat=36.15266381430488&lon=-86.78354859352112&zoom=25&previewId=34qnxqz8p9k1f&previewType=listing&detailsOpen=true&listingTypes=rental,sublet,room,corporate&includeVaguePricing=false&loan=30,0.0525,0&resultsPerQuad=24

• 5 weeks later...

I've been wondering what is going on in the old Nashville Clothing space at the ICON. It looked to me like they had turned it into a banquet space or something.. but no..

Sips 'n' Strokes, an art school that encourage drinking

https://www.sipsnstrokes.com/home.aspx

(i guess they are finishing out a permanent space around the corner.. this one is temporary)

These places are kind of trendy. I think they've been around for a couple of years. I don't know if they will last, but I did one in Knoxville with my wife as a kind of date. It seems they have regular classes with regulars and then they have classes open to everyone (like the one I did). It was pretty fun and cool. Usually people bring wine and I think it helps people open up about "art" insecurities. It also helps get people to socialize a bit throughout the class. The instructor was nice and patient (not mention good looking; I also noticed a lot of women in the other class which was being taught by a "good looking" man, coincidence? :P I was also the only male in either class).

I think it is pretty cool as it opens people up to painting in general and exposes people to "famous" paintings. The one we did was one of Monet's "Water Lilies." Having taken art for 4 years in high school, one of my favorite mediums was oil painting. One of the biggest things I learned was how hard it was to "mess up" the painting. We started out painting pictures out of magazines or where ever we could find one we liked. The beautiful thing about oil painting and painting in general is that it's not a color by the number type deal. It's ok if your line isn't perfect and the colors that come out are amazing since the nature of oil painting blends in your stroke and colors. Every stroke is different and you can not perfectly replicate a color needed when mixing paints which give it a more unique touch.

In the class we used acrylics which dry quicker and may be harder to blend compared to oils, but the same law applied as every single painting had their artist's own view. Even though we all looked at and had the same instruction on painting Monet's painting, every single painting was similar yet very different. I would suggest giving it a try at least once. It's pretty fun and rewarding. Of course you get to keep your painting and most places will either frame it for a price or have a coupon for a framing store with which they have some sort of partnership.

Here's mine:

292000_676471264528_52700700_34484450_1137034372_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Is this where that Bellevue redevelopment thread will be posted? I always enjoyed going to that thread to hear about the possibilities there. I used to go there all the time as a kid!

There is a thread devoted to the Bellevue mall on like page 2 or 3. When in doubt you can always use the search at the top of the page.

John must have merged the thread; however that is a problem with the redevelopment thread. It is not going to be just a retail development sometimes its best to leave things alone because even more threads get started. For me it doesn’t really matter, as long as everyone knows where they need to post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wish this thread was back in the regular forum.

Anyway, a few quick retail notes I've noticed over the past few days:

* Melrose Pub opening a second location in Sylvan Park on Charlotte Ave.

* Silo, a new modern southern restaurant is set to open in June in Vista Germantown.

* Vera Bradley, which is a high end women's hand bag chain, is now open in The Hill Center in Green Hills.

* Popular high end clothing chain Anthropologie is opening it's second Nashville area store in downtown Franklin, to go with it's newly opened (and quite sharp looking) store in The Hill Center in Green Hills. (on a side note, I hope that the city works to improve the connectivity between the mall and Hill Center)

* Lucchese Boot Company is now open in The Gulch.

* Bar Louie is now open in The Gulch.

* Barry's Bootcamp is now open in The Gulch. Apparently this place is a world famous, high intensity, highly exclusive health club. It's only locations are in West Hollywood CA, Sherman Oaks CA, Orange County CA, San Diego CA, Chelsea NYC, Tribeca NYC, The Hamptons NY, Bergen Norway, London England...and Nashville. Pretty cool.

Archived