Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

20 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

Has anyone tried Heist's beer Blurred Up? I saw they are selling cans of it, but at $17.99 a 4 pack, I'm a little apprehensive. 

Haven't tried it, but it's 4.6 (22 ratings) on BeerAdvocate compared with 4.58 (171 ratings) for Citraquench'l.  On untappd it's 4.36 (695 ratings) compared to Citraquench'l 4.38 (2975 ratings).

So while only a fraction of the ratings, it holds up well.

And as I tell myself, $18/4-pack is only 4.50 a pint!  I mean how bad would it have to be to not be worth it?  Hahahaha.  A $5 pint (plus tip) of ANYTHING is a steal if you're actually at a brewery/bar.

Observer sez:

World of Beer will be reincarnated at the Epicenter.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article202182394.html

Kinda sad how "50 beers on tap" no longer impresses me.

EDIT: Opens on March 12. Was this completely under our radar or did I just yawn and miss it?

Edited by kermit

5 hours ago, kermit said:

Observer sez:

World of Beer will be reincarnated at the Epicenter.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article202182394.html

Kinda sad how "50 beers on tap" no longer impresses me.

EDIT: Opens on March 12. Was this completely under our radar or did I just yawn and miss it?

It was announced a while back, but as you say it's hard to make waves with their business model anymore

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

Activity has started at Legion in SouthPark.  This morning when I drove by, there are a bunch of oak barrels lined up around the windows.  This is the first true sign of life I have seen since the announcement.  The barrels are empty (based on how they were stored) but its the first time I have seen anything at site. 

It's been strange to me to see anything originating on the east side opening a new location in South Park, or any other South Charlotte-oriented location.

PM, NoDa, have always seemed like counter-culture, whereas South End, Elizabeth, etc have seemed more in-line with the South Charlotte scene (for ease I'm lumping everything south of Dilworth/Myers Park as South Charlotte), so it's jarring to see more and more businesses gravitate to that market.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It's been strange to me to see anything originating on the east side opening a new location in South Park, or any other South Charlotte-oriented location.

PM, NoDa, have always seemed like counter-culture, whereas South End, Elizabeth, etc have seemed more in-line with the South Charlotte scene (for ease I'm lumping everything south of Dilworth/Myers Park as South Charlotte), so it's jarring to see more and more businesses gravitate to that market.

I hope we get many more.  I have a colleague in from Germany who is staying next to Piedmont row and her first response is, "why are all these nice apartments here?"  There are no nice parks, no local hangouts, no public transportation, doesn't feel like a place anyone would want to live.   I had no response.   Hopefully this is the first step in bringing "neighborhood thing" closer to southpark. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I hope we get many more.  I have a colleague in from Germany who is staying next to Piedmont row and her first response is, "why are all these nice apartments here?"  There are no nice parks, no local hangouts, no public transportation, doesn't feel like a place anyone would want to live.   I had no response.   Hopefully this is the first step in bringing "neighborhood thing" closer to southpark. 

And to be clear I do not fault a business owner for making a sound financial decision. It's just a juxtaposition thing that i can't un-see.

That's a valid point, too. That leads to the question: What makes a good "community" the right kinds of businesses, parks, transit, etc? I guess it's all those things in good proportion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I wouldn't say Legion feels counter-culture, you might see some hipsters in there but overall it's fairly mainstream both in appeal and style. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wilmore said:

I wouldn't say Legion feels counter-culture, you might see some hipsters in there but overall it's fairly mainstream both in appeal and style. 

I suppose I think of one's presence in the east side neighborhoods as bucking the mainstream Charlotte trend in general.

...though as I say that, we are FAR past that point. So yeah.

• Like 1

Just a plug for Oakhurst, my favorite under the radar neighborhood, but really feels like that would be the logical next spot for a brewery.

Would capture all of East Charlotte past P-M as well as Cotswold, and area has a really nice sense of community.....I dunno, just rambling.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kermit said:

Observer sez:

Town Brewing is coming to Freemore West (behind Rhino)

They say June, so Christmas...

Was this totally under our radar?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article202452619.html

No, not under the radar, though I haven't seen the name and owners until now.  We've known about a brewery at the Lubromation site for many months, with an "Early 2018" opening.

My updated map: 

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grodney said:

No, not under the radar, though I haven't seen the name and owners until now.  We've known about a brewery at the Lubromation site for many months, with an "Early 2018" opening.

My updated map: 

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Wasn't the second OMB location sunk when NCGA didn't play ball with the distribution rules?

edit: also, Divine Barrel's grand opening is March 10. I believe they're in soft opening mode now.

Edited by tozmervo

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Wasn't the second OMB location sunk when NCGA didn't play ball with the distribution rules?

edit: also, Divine Barrel's grand opening is March 10. I believe they're in soft opening mode now.

Good points.

When announced, OMB said something like: their plans could be impacted if laws didn't change.  I haven't seen any official word on cancelling the plans....but I easily could have missed it.  Anyone?

As for Divine Barrel - I've seen "friends and family night" and "industry night", but haven't seen any soft opening to the general public....but again, I'm not that close to it....it may well be open to the public already.  These silly breweries and their varying definitions of open, soft-open, grand-opening, etc.

54 minutes ago, grodney said:

When announced, OMB said something like: their plans could be impacted if laws didn't change.  I haven't seen any official word on cancelling the plans....but I easily could have missed it.  Anyone?

OMB and NoDa joined forces to file a lawsuit to get the state's distribution law overturned back in May (when the last legislative effort to change the law failed). I haven't heard much about the status of the suit so I had assumed it was still waiting for its court date. The last googleable news appears to be when the suit was originally filed. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article150565457.html

20 hours ago, grodney said:

As for Divine Barrel - I've seen "friends and family night" and "industry night", but haven't seen any soft opening to the general public....but again, I'm not that close to it....it may well be open to the public already.  These silly breweries and their varying definitions of open, soft-open, grand-opening, etc.

Divine posted yesterday they are officially open for business Wed-Sun 2pm-10pm. 

59 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Divine posted yesterday they are officially open for business Wed-Sun 2pm-10pm. 

Thanks!  Map updated: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Also, now at 19 legit breweries in Charlotte....32 if you count everything.  By the way, Salud claims they have leased warehouse space on N Tryon that they will make into their own production facility this year.  

IMG_20180302_090436.jpg.fe1b9e4e3daeee08ad2173f681a4441a.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grodney said:

Thanks!  Map updated: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Also, now at 19 legit breweries in Charlotte....32 if you count everything.  By the way, Salud claims they have leased warehouse space on N Tryon that they will make into their own production facility this year.  

Just realized you don't include Cider. You might have mentioned before but is there a reason for that? 

28 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Just realized you don't include Cider. You might have mentioned before but is there a reason for that? 

Just that it's not beer.  hahahaha.  No really, I have an expanded edition of the "how many breweries" that has a category for cider places and distilleries.  I should probably add a layer for each on the map.....I just don't keep up with their news/existence as much.

In other news, JJ's announced their Brew Dogs series for this year.  With a new location uptown along with others on East Blvd and in Ballantyne, there's no excuse to miss these! Pics here:  http://jjsredhots.com/12-days-of-hot-dogs-new/

WEEK 1: LA LIGHTS
MARCH 5-11 Created By Unknown Brewing - Turkey Dog, Whole Wheat Bun, Avocado, Sprouts, Bacon, Feather Light Honey Mustard

WEEK 2: TRAIL FIX
MARCH 12-18 Created By Blue Blaze Brewing - Bratwurst Marinated in Blue Blaze Altbier and Beer Mustard, Pretzel Bun, Light Fig Jam Spread, Toasted Coconut Flakes, Almond Flakes, Salted Sunflower Seeds

WEEK 3: JUICY JAY DOG
MARCH 19-25 Created By Legion Brewing - Andouille, Juicy Jay Mango Habanero Chutney, Ceviche Style Jicama Slaw, Cotija Cheese

WEEK 4: TRIPLE TOTCHO
MARCH 26-April 1 Created By Triple C Brewing - Baby Maker Queso, Borracho Beans, Fire-grilled Salsa, Tater Tots, Cilantro Lime Crema, Cilantro Garnish

WEEK 5: HAWAIIAN HOSPITALITY
April 2-8 Created By Sycamore Brewing - Smoked Pork Sausage, Shredded Pulled Pork, Pineapple Chutney, Purple Cabbage Slaw, Bacon, Rainbow Dust IPA BBQ sauce

WEEK 6: LENNY BANH MI
April 9-15 Created By Lenny Boy Brewing - Ginger Kombucha Marinated Shredded Daikon and Carrot, Fresh Cilantro, Fresh Jalapeño, Asian Mayo, Sesame Seeds

WEEK 7: HYDE YOUR KIDS
April 16-22 Created By Hyde Brewing -Hyde Stout Pimento Beer Cheese, Green Tomato Relish, Bacon

WEEK 8: TICO DOG
April 23-29 Created By Legal Remedy - All Beef Hot Dog, Crushed Pineapple, Crispy Potato Sticks, World Court Mocha Blonde Stout, Candied Jalapeños, Rocket Sauce

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

A neighbor shared this blurb about OMB's future home.

image.png.427dd528130f3bc08df3805ef2ce0162.png

I hope they incorporate “Screw” into the name of the new brewery, or at least one of the beers. 

“Curtis Screw Pilsner”

”Screw Curtis Maple Syrup IPA”

”Screwy Tuesday Hefe”

...i just like saying SCREW