Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 3/1/2018 at 12:40 PM, kermit said:

OMB and NoDa joined forces to file a lawsuit to get the state's distribution law overturned back in May (when the last legislative effort to change the law failed). I haven't heard much about the status of the suit so I had assumed it was still waiting for its court date. The last googleable news appears to be when the suit was originally filed. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article150565457.html

Low and behold:

• Initial hearing is Wednesday the 16th (in Wake County)

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/trial-date-set-for-lawsuit-challenging-alcohol-franchise-laws/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matt at Charlotte Mag is reporting that OMB sent out a press release (about its 9th anny) that mentions they are indeed moving forward with the Cornelius thing.

From the press release:

"Cornelius (2nd location): OMB aims to open its Cornelius Brewery, Brauhaus and Biergarten in late 2019. As a business, OMB must look ahead and continue driving towards its core goal of enriching the quality of life in the Charlotte region despite the misguided barrel cap law. We are very excited to join the lake community."

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Matt at Charlotte Mag is reporting that OMB sent out a press release (about its 9th anny) that mentions they are indeed moving forward with the Cornelius thing.

From the press release:

"Cornelius (2nd location): OMB aims to open its Cornelius Brewery, Brauhaus and Biergarten in late 2019. As a business, OMB must look ahead and continue driving towards its core goal of enriching the quality of life in the Charlotte region despite the misguided barrel cap law. We are very excited to join the lake community."

North Meck might end up with more breweries per capita than Charlotte :o

*steps back to let grodney do the math

• Like 1

I know Fat Head's was mentioned in today's Agenda.....so is that prettymuch confirmed?  Good enough to put on the map?

"This site is thought to be the future home of Fat Heads Brewery"

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/119830/new-retail-possible-brewery-coming-tremont-avenue-south-end/

Put it on there :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Put it on there :)

Done!  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Let's review:

Seaboard in Matthews - Was supposed to be late Jan, but having trouble dialing in their recipes.

ABV on Old Pineville near OMB - Supposed to be May.  No really!

Heist taproom at their new production facility north of uptown - June-ish.

Town Brewing old Lubromation site near Rhino Market - June?  Construction well underway.

Pilot Brewing in Plaza Mid - "Spring 2018"?

Fonta Flora taproom in Tompkins Hall near Birdsong - Why is this even on my list if they're not brewing there?  Anyway, maybe 2018?

Hyde Brewing at Noble Smoke on Freedom Drive - Who cares.  I kid.  Sorta.  "Spring 2018".

Petty Thieves between P-M and NoDa - Quiet but "End of 2017".

Legion in South Park - Fall 2018.

....and way out there......:

OMB Cornelius - Late 2019.

Fat Head's S Tryon and Tremont - Late 2019 or whatever.

Edited by grodney

Me: Hey everybody, Wooden Robot is releasing cans!  Too bad they're ugly!

Everybody who has actual taste and/or artistic talent:  I like them.

Edited for clarification that I know they already released a can a few months ago....but this is more their "regular" beers.....I think.  And to whine that the way they charge for pints, I'm sure these will be $30/4-pack.

Edit:  Pretty good news on price.....$14 for He and $16 for She.  That's a lot, but not outrageous.

robotcans.jpg

Edited by grodney

6 hours ago, grodney said:

Edited for clarification that I know they already released a can a few months ago....but this is more their "regular" beers.....I think.  And to whine that the way they charge for pints, I'm sure these will be $30/4-pack.

Edit:  Pretty good news on price.....$14 for He and $16 for She.  That's a lot, but not outrageous.

Those look really boring for what could have been a really fun brand opportunity. Also they should be canning Vietnam.

7 hours ago, grodney said:

robotcans.jpg

They look like wine coolers 

• Like 1

Pretty huge news from Heist......their beer is now available for keg distribution to bars/restaurants/etc.  https://www.heistbrewery.com/want-beer

12 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Those look really boring for what could have been a really fun brand opportunity. Also they should be canning Vietnam.

Agree.  By the way, Cabarrus cans a Vanilla Coffee Blonde that my wife prefers to Vietnam.  Available at all fine Total Wine stores in the area.  Or at least the Promenade location.

12 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

They look like wine coolers 

Perfect!

3 hours ago, kermit said:

This expansive CBJ article mentions that Wooden Robot is currently "narrowing in on possible sites for a second taproom location."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/22/craft-beer-2-0-how-charlottes-breweries-are.html

Also discusses a new Sycamore expansion

Interestingly, it says Sycamore will move all production to their north site, and no longer brew at their current location.

This is perhaps the worst article ever on Charlotte beer.  Okay, that's silly considering what Agenda has put out over the years, but still, this is horrible.  Or maybe they're just trolling data guys like me.  It says 9 best beers, then says it used Untappd for the ratings....great.....but then goes on to list beers that aren't anywhere near the highest rated, and leave off dozens that are higher than what they listed.  Holy cow.

https://www.charlottefive.com/beers-ranked-untappd/

This is perhaps the worst article ever on Charlotte beer.  Okay, that's silly considering what Agenda has put out over the years, but still, this is horrible.  Or maybe they're just trolling data guys like me.  It says 9 best beers, then says it used Untappd for the ratings....great.....but then goes on to list beers that aren't anywhere near the highest rated, and leave off dozens that are higher than what they listed.  Holy cow.

https://www.charlottefive.com/beers-ranked-untappd/

WTF?  That "ranking" is total trash.  

Okay, so the trolling C5 article worked, and I did the research myself.

Here are the top 5 beers in Charlotte by this criteria on Untappd:

- Main brewery in Charlotte (i.e. Catawba doesn't count)

- 1000 ratings, or top-rated beer at a brewery, or top number of ratings at a brewery

cltbeer1.jpg

And here is the list limited to those with at least 1000 ratings on Untappd:

cltbeer2.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Okay, so the trolling C5 article worked, and I did the research myself.
Here are the top 5 beers in Charlotte by this criteria on Untappd:
- Main brewery in Charlotte (i.e. Catawba doesn't count)
- 1000 ratings, or top-rated beer at a brewery, or top number of ratings at a brewery
cltbeer1.jpg.b70f0cb207f0ec914a3416f63c824950.jpg

And here is the list limited to those with at least 1000 ratings on Untappd:
cltbeer2.jpg.b05c9d58db490bcbe5ab382110eb99f4.jpg

Y’all are making@jayvee ‘s eyes bleed, he HATES heist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hated Heist and refused to go back.....until I tasted their recent stuff.  SO much different than their first 2-3 years.

grodney personal Heist opinions based on cans:

Citraquench'l - awesome....I mean stupidly good

Azacca Flocca Haze - great

Blurred Up - so good

Thirst - very good

Hive Fives - Pretty damn good for a normal beer

Bee Fruitful - Okay

Blurred is the Word - not good

Seems like I'm forgetting someting but that's all I've got for now.

Edit:

Uber Quench'l - didn't get any

MO-J - didn't get any

Edited by grodney

Heist stuffs the ballot box. I was in a can release line at NoDa recently (in the middle of the day, screw work) and at LEAST 20 fellow beer nerds all agreed Heist is garbage (minus the citraquench'l, which I don't like). In addition, not ONE person in my circle of friends likes Heist. I'll take that sample size over untappd. Heist (beer) sucks. Food is excellent lol