Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, Scribe said:

Hell yeah!   Wooden Robot is expanding into NoDa  @ Novel NoDa... 5700 sqft with 3000 sqft patio and a rooftop bar...
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/10/south-end-brewery-nabs-second-location-eyes-spring.html

So this isn’t just a Charlotte phenomenon, however I’m personally not a fan of this.

Id rather a new, different brewery take that spot, and not one that already exists in the city.  Again, not just a Charlotte thing, just my personal preference. 

Just now, grodney said:

Huh.  Okey-doke.  Any big story here?  Or they just decided not to come to town? 

Wish it was a big story. They expanded too fast for their own good. They’re building an ENORMOUS facility in Cleveland that probably ate a ton of capital, closed their Portland shop which couldn’t have been cheap. They may revive plans. But dead for now

On a brighter note, CBJ has a story on Artisinal's opening. They say "late spring" and it sounds like they are pitching it as a 'test kitchen' facility for their higher capacity operations in NY and PA.

Brewers will operate a 25-barrel, four-vessel brewhouse — significantly smaller than either Southern Tier’s or Victory’s operations.

That will accommodate unique brews and allow experimentation, Harries says. Popular recipes can then be scaled and produced under the label that best fits.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/16/construction-continues-as-artisanals-south-end.html

17 hours ago, kermit said:

Glad to hear that Blue Blaze is doing well enough to expand. I must confess it’s been a long while since I have been out there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/17/growth-on-tap-for-this-west-charlotte-brewery.html

Surprised to see this, but then if you read the article it seems to mention they're still looking for investors - so I wouldn't say this is necessarily a done deal. Hard to really see where they fit in to the larger landscape, though maybe they sell better at distro than I'd expect? 

1 hour ago, wilmore said:

Surprised to see this, but then if you read the article it seems to mention they're still looking for investors - so I wouldn't say this is necessarily a done deal. Hard to really see where they fit in to the larger landscape, though maybe they sell better at distro than I'd expect? 

I worry for Blue Blaze once Town Brewing opens up next to Rhino Market. Maybe they expect to lose some of the neighborhood tap room sales and realize that investment in distro is the best way to go? All conjecture, but that would be my thought. 

Lack of movement on Savona Mill and Lakewood Trolley hasn't helped them either.

• Like 1

via The Facebook, Barking Duck in Matthews have closed their taproom.  They will continue to distribute.  So that's a whole new genre of "brewery" in Charlotte......fully licensed brewery that doesn't have a public taproom but does distribute......no word from them if they'll keep brewing in their current space, or move to a home garage or something.

In other tiny brewery news, I was at Temple Mojo in Matthews over the weekend and had the IPA and Stout from Seaboard, which is the in-house brewery of the Temple/Mojo/Seaboard empire.  Both were right down the middle for their style.  My wife had their Orange Honey Wheat, and liked it enough to have a 2nd half-pint.  Obligatory price complaint:  16 bucks a growler is crazy for their own stuff.

In extra-regional brewery news,  New Realm’s plan for a brewpub and sour’s facility at South and Kingston have been indefinitely delayed due to their fire sale purchase of the very large Green Flash facility in Virginia Beach. 

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2018/4/29/new-realm-talks-atlanta-success-virginia-expansion-north-carolina-property

the GBH article makes it sound like the project will still get done but it’s really a shame for that corner to lie fallow for much longer. 

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lenny Boy is going national (but only their Kambucha). They are dramatically expanding their bottling capacity, but apparently they were already the 2nd largest buch producer in the Southeast (4,000 bls).

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/24/kombucha-iskey-as-lenny-boy-brewing-eyes-national.html

To my surprise, they only produce 3,400 barrels of beer -- Citraphillia has been my go to fridge beer for a while now.

Heist released a collaboration beer with Aslin yesterday called "Trending Now".  Aslin is a superb brewery in the Northern Virginia area that does some big NEIPAS.  This one is a Milkshake IPA with mango, blueberry, vanilla, honey, peach, and guava.  I think it is a very good beer.  More importantly, I think it is cool that Heist and Aslin are working together.  I would love to see more Charlotte breweries do collaborations with other breweries around the country.

5 hours ago, CTiger said:

Heist released a collaboration beer with Aslin yesterday called "Trending Now".  Aslin is a superb brewery in the Northern Virginia area that does some big NEIPAS.  This one is a Milkshake IPA with mango, blueberry, vanilla, honey, peach, and guava.  I think it is a very good beer.  More importantly, I think it is cool that Heist and Aslin are working together.  I would love to see more Charlotte breweries do collaborations with other breweries around the country.

Correction: it’s a fantastic beer!! Glad I got a 4 pack this afternoon as they just sold out. The fruit in a milkshake ipa makes this one very unique and delicious!

20 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Is anyone aware of Legion canning Juicy J?

I haven't seen it anywhere I normally visit, I would have noticed (and purchased) if it were there.

Edited by kermit

I saw that "Brew Line" map.  I like the concept, but I think the graphic artists here could have done better.  I envision each walk being a little subway line, like a tube map.  Blue Line could also be more diagonal maybe.  Or something.

Dude is also obviously not local.  No Divine Barrel, no GoodRoad (I mean he included Red Clay), Birdsong inside 277 and the wrong stop, Hyde a 4-minute walk instead of literally 30 seconds, and worst of all.....walking time to the OG NoDa where the taproom isn't even open anymore!

Don't worry, I set him straight on the twitters.

duty_calls.png

p.s. I've also heard, but not confirmed, that Sugar Creek Station to Divine/Missy is a horrid walk, and you're better just walking from 36th.

Edited by grodney
  • Haha 1