Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

What else do you have Jayvee (or anybody) on Three Pillars Brewing?  NC Beer Guys have them on their Coming Soon map in Raleigh, not Charlotte.  There is an instagram page, but no posts or follows or details.  There are a few checkins on Untappd, but they appear to be in Portland OR.

I found a little bit of trademark stuff from Apr 2018, but again it points to Raleigh: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87875635-three-pillars-brewing or https://www.trademarkia.com/three-pillars-brewing-87875635.html

Is this new construction?  Or existing building?

1 hour ago, grodney said:

What else do you have Jayvee (or anybody) on Three Pillars Brewing?  NC Beer Guys have them on their Coming Soon map in Raleigh, not Charlotte.  There is an instagram page, but no posts or follows or details.  There are a few checkins on Untappd, but they appear to be in Portland OR.

I found a little bit of trademark stuff from Apr 2018, but again it points to Raleigh: https://www.trademarks411.com/marks/87875635-three-pillars-brewing or https://www.trademarkia.com/three-pillars-brewing-87875635.html

Is this new construction?  Or existing building?

Three Pillars is a placeholder name, though not sure what the real name will be. I'm expecting some more information later this week.  As far as existing building goes. This is currently a chainlink fenced lot with barbed wire holding only a couple of trailers. Its completely empty otherwise, so this would be a build to suit, which says these guys got money.

Anyone know what's happened at GoodBottle? I was in there last weekend and their shelves were practically bare. I asked the guy who was working there and he said they had some problems with the guy who does the ordering the last week or so. But when I was in there a month or two ago it was the same thing. They used to be one of the better bottle shops in town (outside of Salud  and Brawley's). But have gone down hill. Especially since they put all the additional seating inside. 

Anyone know what's happened at GoodBottle? I was in there last weekend and their shelves were practically bare. I asked the guy who was working there and he said they had some problems with the guy who does the ordering the last week or so. But when I was in there a month or two ago it was the same thing. They used to be one of the better bottle shops in town (outside of Salud  and Brawley's). But have gone down hill. Especially since they put all the additional seating inside. 

Sadly you can find this same complaint in this thread from years back. It just sometimes seems to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, HopHead said:

This used to be my go to spot to pick up craft beers for probably their first 3 years or so.  They had a variety across the country to help fill my beer cap map of the US.  I think once Hex moved in the beer started to move out and now it's pretty scarce every day.  I'm not a guy who wants the 22oz $30 limited release, just a wide variety to build my own 6 pack so I don't think I'm their target customer anymore.  I like their free pizza on Tuesday's and some of their tap takeovers so I still go there, just another place to grab a pint versus somewhere I'd stop in a couple times a month to pick up beer for the weekend.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

More from a Local Guide(!) about 4001 Yancey, from 2 months ago when they had been open for 2 weeks.

2 months ago-
We were really impressed with the number of craft beers available even though they only opened 2 weeks prior to our visit. The staff were very knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. The atmosphere was cozy but industrial. There was a food truck outside that many people were grabbing food from ( we already grabbed a bite but next time plan to try it). We look forward to future trips to NODA and going back to this brewery!

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Sadly you can find this same complaint in this thread from years back. It just sometimes seems to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably complained about it too. Lol. It just seems way worse now than it ever was. To the point where I'd only go there for a tap takeover. It's a shame because I really enjoyed GB for a while. It was  great weeknight or Saturday during the day hangout. 

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

This used to be my go to spot to pick up craft beers for probably their first 3 years or so.  They had a variety across the country to help fill my beer cap map of the US.  I think once Hex moved in the beer started to move out and now it's pretty scarce every day.  I'm not a guy who wants the 22oz $30 limited release, just a wide variety to build my own 6 pack so I don't think I'm their target customer anymore.  I like their free pizza on Tuesday's and some of their tap takeovers so I still go there, just another place to grab a pint versus somewhere I'd stop in a couple times a month to pick up beer for the weekend.

Same here. They used to have a solid variety. What you said about Hex makes sense though. That's around the time when I noticed it too now that I think about it more. 

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

I probably complained about it too. Lol. It just seems way worse now than it ever was. To the point where I'd only go there for a tap takeover. It's a shame because I really enjoyed GB for a while. It was  great weeknight or Saturday during the day hangout. 

Same here. They used to have a solid variety. What you said about Hex makes sense though. That's around the time when I noticed it too now that I think about it more. 

That's just too bad. Whenever I'm in town Fourth of July weekend, I stop in at good bottle to stock up before heading up the mountain. I always see people I know, despite not living in town, but last time I was there I didn't see any Charlotte beer at all, ended up going elsewhere. 

45 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That's just too bad. Whenever I'm in town Fourth of July weekend, I stop in at good bottle to stock up before heading up the mountain. I always see people I know, despite not living in town, but last time I was there I didn't see any Charlotte beer at all, ended up going elsewhere. 

I wonder if he is struggling with the surge of new craft places opening up.  I know Chris and one of his investors but I hate to ask.  When it opened, he was the only place in SouthEnd to grab a bottle and a pint.  There was talk a few years ago about another location in SCLT  but that came and went.  They made most of the money on drafts but the influx of placesin SE to get a craft brew has to hurt.  Opening up the space to more tables and HEX was probably an attempt to get bigger draft crowds (and to share rent) but may have backfired after Home Economist and Common Market closed. People scrounging around for beers and getting frustrated the shop is lacking now...just might do their drinking elsewhere. 

Or - Maybe he is selling so much beer he can't keep in on the shelf?  He has very little storage in the back and if stuff is moving so quick...might be a good problem!  I still think his concept would be better suited to location in SouthPark.  We have no place to get craft (beside Whole Foods) and no place like good bottle to get a drink after work at.  Sure Brawleys is close but nothing in SP proper.  A spot in something like the new ZOM apartments would be killer IMHO.  

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

I wonder if he is struggling with the surge of new craft places opening up.  I know Chris and one of his investors but I hate to ask.  When it opened, he was the only place in SouthEnd to grab a bottle and a pint.  There was talk a few years ago about another location in SCLT  but that came and went.  They made most of the money on drafts but the influx of placesin SE to get a craft brew has to hurt.  Opening up the space to more tables and HEX was probably an attempt to get bigger draft crowds (and to share rent) but may have backfired after Home Economist and Common Market closed. People scrounging around for beers and getting frustrated the shop is lacking now...just might do their drinking elsewhere. 

Or - Maybe he is selling so much beer he can't keep in on the shelf?  He has very little storage in the back and if stuff is moving so quick...might be a good problem!  I still think his concept would be better suited to location in SouthPark.  We have no place to get craft (beside Whole Foods) and no place like good bottle to get a drink after work at.  Sure Brawleys is close but nothing in SP proper.  A spot in something like the new ZOM apartments would be killer IMHO.  

I have a friend working on a pretty cool concept, but got screwed by a landlord at the location he was going to open at. I'll suggest SouthPark to him, as he's looking for a new spot.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I have a friend working on a pretty cool concept, but got screwed by a landlord at the location he was going to open at. I'll suggest SouthPark to him, as he's looking for a new spot.

Piggy backing on something near Legion in SouthPark would seem like a no-brainer to me.  Don't need a huge space but something in Morrison Village, Ski Slope, Zom, Sharon Square, Piedmont Row would kill it if done right.   You can't really do the grungy Salud/Brawleys thing in SP but the Good Bottle vibe would do great (I think).  Personally I would love to see Taco Mac blown up and divided into like 3 different places....I think they still have some 4 Friends beers still in rotation. Ugh

1 hour ago, kermit said:

tweeterverse sez 4001 Yancy is open now....

Yep just got back from there.  Huge space but separated by the bar area, little lounge areas and standing tables it didn't feel over crowded despite every table being used.

Staff was super friendly and on top of everything which is not always the case at grand openings.  Seems like it'll be a good addition to our brewery scene!

26 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Yep just got back from there.  Huge space but separated by the bar area, little lounge areas and standing tables it didn't feel over crowded despite every table being used.

Staff was super friendly and on top of everything which is not always the case at grand openings.  Seems like it'll be a good addition to our brewery scene!

any reports on food?

(I am very excited about a local brewpub with real food)

Edited by kermit

4001 Yancey:

Impressive beer selection (although two of the three lagers were unexceptional per my non-beer loving companions). The 'Hop forward' selection had a great variety. The two I tried were very good, but neither was fantastic. (nu skul was the best of the bunch)  It will take a couple of visits to get a decent sense of the range of the selection.

Food was solid, we had pizza, a burger, a salad and a pretzel. Like the beer, most of it was good, not great -- the pretzel was the exception, it was great.

It was crazy busy, but it was an interesting place to drink thanks to the crowd. I'll be back.

• Like 1

We were having a beer at Rhino Market (Morehead) yesterday, and noticed the manager and a couple workers walk over to Town Brewing and disappear for a while.  When they came back, I asked the manager what was up.  She said the Town owners were having a little mini-celebration because they just got their, uhhhh, she couldn't remember the word.....but I surmised it was the fermentation tanks maybe.  Anyway, she said they hope to be brewing within a couple weeks, and open sometime in September.

• Like 1

Stopped by 4001 Yancy...really great spot! Flights are a little expensive ($12 for 5) but if you are smart, you can get your moneys worth with some 10%-14% beers. We got there around 11:45am on Saturday and had no problem getting a table for two but when we left around 1:15 it was a on a wait and probably 20+ people waiting.  Its really nice having a brewery like this with food and sit down service (and the service was FANTASTIC and server engaging).  Never had a flight come out so quick and server was on the ball the whole time.

• Like 2

Went to 4001 Yancey today for the first time and will echo a lot of the sentiment in here already.  The service was exceptional, our waitress knew her stuff.  Beers came out very quickly even though it was mostly full of people.  Beers were good and cold.  We didn't get food as we had just eaten.  The only issues I had with the place were 1) I had pretty much already had every beer they offer.  At this point it is still mostly just the beers that are distributed pretty widely.  2) There were flies everywhere.  I am not sure why.  But we were shooing flies away from us the entire visit.