Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

An out-of-town friend is coming for a visit for a few days, and he is a big lover of IPA's. The ones with the citrusy flavor especially. I'm not a big beer drinker (whisky and gin for me). Anyway, what are the best local IPA's that I could introduce him to?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

An out-of-town friend is coming for a visit for a few days, and he is a big lover of IPA's. The ones with the citrusy flavor especially. I'm not a big beer drinker (whisky and gin for me). Anyway, what are the best local IPA's that I could introduce him to?

Thanks.

Juicy J is a fine choice, its generally available all over town.

Three (and a half) solid Southend-ish options:

• Wooden Robot (they typically have a couple of good citrusy beers on tap).
  • Lenny Boy is hit or miss with hazy IPAs but its often good.
  • 4001 Yancy also had an impressive citrusy selection but none of those are local.
  • (not a brewery) but Craft generally has a couple of good (usually semi-local) selections available.

You will find no options at OMB (due to Reinheitsgebot), I have not been to Sugar Creek or Triple C in ages (neither had anything citrusy last time I visited). And Sycamore (which will have a good range of options) has always disappointed me (but YMMV).

NoDa experiments with hazy IPAs but I don't think they have anything steadily available. I suspect that people in the know would say that Heist might be the best option but I have not yet been able to try it.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

NoDa for good beer in general....Hop Drop is made with lots of Citra (and other tropical hops), but is bitter and West Coast.  And they usually have 2 or 3 other fun IPAish choices on the menu....Corn Star is a unique one right now, as is Good Will Hopping.   Those two are both excellent and closer to hazy NE IPAs, but still have plenty of hop bitterness.

For non-bitter citrusy IPAs, Heist is great.

Resident Culture has some good IPAs.  Last time I was there (a couple weeks ago) I was reallly impressed with Free Skate as a hazy-ish NE-ish IPA, and they had 2 or 3 others along those lines.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, Exile said:

Thanks.

#1 Resident Culture and #2 Heist.    I prefer Resident Culture for atmosphere and the variety of IPA's on tap.  It truly is an IPA lovers dream brewery, especially for CLT.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, Exile said:

Thanks.

As others have mentioned, Resident Culture and Heist are your two best bets for IPAs. One place that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should though is High Branch up in Concord. They also brew some fantastic IPAs as well. 

On 7/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, kermit said:

Juicy J is a fine choice, its generally available all over town.

Three (and a half) solid Southend-ish options:

• Wooden Robot (they typically have a couple of good citrusy beers on tap).
  • Lenny Boy is hit or miss with hazy IPAs but its often good.
  • 4001 Yancy also had an impressive citrusy selection but none of those are local.
  • (not a brewery) but Craft generally has a couple of good (usually semi-local) selections available.

You will find no options at OMB (due to Reinheitsgebot), I have not been to Sugar Creek or Triple C in ages (neither had anything citrusy last time I visited). And Sycamore (which will have a good range of options) has always disappointed me (but YMMV).

NoDa experiments with hazy IPAs but I don't think they have anything steadily available. I suspect that people in the know would say that Heist might be the best option but I have not yet been able to try it.

Divine Barrel is pretty good at hazy IPAs

I have been dragging my feet on checking out some of the newer breweries outside my regular activity space. You guys have done a good job motivating me to broaden my horizons. Resident Culture and Divine Barrel here I come. Thanks!

Thanks to all for a number of good suggestions. While I'm not a regular beer drinker,  I do gravitate toward strong tastes (peated whiskies, etc.), so IPA's do appeal to me. Looking forward to tasting what Charlotte has to offer.

16 hours ago, kermit said:

I have been dragging my feet on checking out some of the newer breweries outside my regular activity space. You guys have done a good job motivating me to broaden my horizons. Resident Culture and Divine Barrel here I come. Thanks!

Shockingly to me (since I don't know the area), a mere 2.8 miles from Divine Barrel to Resident Culture, an easy trip by rental bike or death scooter.

If you're taking the light rail, up-thread advice is to take 36th to Divine instead of Sugar Creek.

Oh and you might as well hit Heist for a flight while you're out of your normal activity space!

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

You’ve got that reversed. Sugar Creek Station is much closer to Divine Barrel than 36th. 

0.3 miles vs 0.7 - but easily walkable from either. 

Ha ha, nope, not backward. I know it's much closer, but multiple reports are that the walk from Sugar Creek sucks biggly.   Haven't done it myself though.

What are they walking down Raleigh and then Craighead and then back up Davidson? That’s asinine and waaaayy roundabout.  The walkway from the platform over the tracks literally puts you onto Davidson St. where you walk straight for a quarter mile and DB is on your right. But hey  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

B8AD06CD-72A1-4865-A9E5-F67E0D01889A.jpeg

3AB56AE6-2D73-4CEC-99E0-EA57B4BFF8C1.jpeg

Edited by Matthew.Brendan

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

What are they walking down Raleigh and then Craighead and then back up Davidson? That’s asinine and waaaayy roundabout.  The walkway from the platform over the tracks literally puts you onto Davidson St. where you walk straight for a quarter mile and DB is on your right. But hey  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The city hasn't put in sidewalks on the stretch from the Sugar Creek section to Divine Barrel/Bold Missy.  You literally have to walk in the street while cars whizz by you.  Its also a sketchy walk.  While walking from 36th is further, definitely choose that option over the walk from Sugar Creek.

Edited by CTiger
Formatting

For the most inconsistent beer in Charlotte I nominate Jucy Jay. Tonight I encountered their bongwater-infused batch.

Mmmmm college dares

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk