Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 8/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, grodney said:

A few quick comments:

- Paradise City IS a session IPA.

- Thirsty Nomad will be the next to fold. I have no idea how they're still in business.  I worry about Bold Missy for sure.  Three Spirits seems to be doing okay, but yeah wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it. Who knows, maybe they found their niche with a loyal local crowd.  The different economic models for breweries are fascinating, between tap room, tap handles, and shelf.

- I think Hop Drop is as awesome as ever.  No consistency problems anymore. Yeah, it's a West Coast citra....not as sexy as the newer double-dry-hopped hazy NE stuff, but it's still my go-to.

- Sycamore Moon Juice was a 7.04% (local, get it!?) IPA, most sites call it a double/imperial IPA, which is kind of dumb since Sycamore doesn't call it that and it's only 7 percent.  Anyway, it's not around anymore. But yeah it was pretty delicious.

I like Thirsty Nomad and the past few times we have been there, we have seen the ebb and flow of people.  It is in a VERY tough spot and off the beaten path, even though it is a stone's throw away from OMB, Sugar Creek, Yancey et. al.  They have a good set of beers, but its the location that kills them.

I do have to agree with the other comment about Three Spirits.  I was never bowled over by them from the get go.  The last time we were there, it was crowded though.  Southend is becoming more and more crowded with breweries and the competition is fierce.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, grodney said:

...Three Spirits seems to be doing okay, but yeah wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it. Who knows, maybe they found their niche with a loyal local crowd.  The different economic models for breweries are fascinating, between tap room, tap handles, and shelf.

- I think Hop Drop is as awesome as ever.  No consistency problems anymore. Yeah, it's a West Coast citra....not as sexy as the newer double-dry-hopped hazy NE stuff, but it's still my go-to.

FWIW: When I drive past Three Spirits today the parking lot (and the adjacent parking and the grass field across Scholtz) were all FULL of cars around 2 today. 

Once you go hazy its tough to go back but, because I value grodney's perspective I picked up a four pack of Hop Drop this afternoon.  I am gonna try to make friends with it again, perhaps by carrying them around in my cargo shorts as they get consumed (I have experimented with iced cargo shorts pockets in the past).

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 6:29 PM, grodney said:

Yeah, they can at least the Blue, Black, Yellow, Pink, Trail, and last fall they did an Oktoberfest-ish.  Good presence at a lot of HTs.  Very walkable/bikeable from uptown via the trail they are literally on.  They announced big expansion news not long ago, but at the same time appeared to be looking for investors....so yeah not sure what to think.  We go every few months and it's never busy, but we go very early in the day.  I'm thinking/hoping Town will actually help, not hurt.

They are in Harris Teeter?  I have never seen it once at the 4-5 HT's I shop at.  Weird! 

Any reports from Pilot?

In other news, agenda is listing today the "24" breweries in Charlotte.  So they're including Salud, Catawba, and Yancy, but not Rock Bottom.  Plus adding Town (coming soon).  In the text, they say "local breweries in our city".

Is there a difference bewteen "Charlotte breweries" and "breweries in Charlotte"?  I think so.  Catawba and Yancy aren't Charlotte breweries (to me), but they are clearly breweries in Charlotte.  Your mileage may vary.

ANYWAYYYYYYYY:

cltbeer2018-08.jpg

^^ Does 4001 Yancy only brew beer that was already produced by Southern Teir/Victory?  I kind of assumed that their Charlotte location would be a spot to collaborate and create new recipes and beers that weren't already in production, but I didn't see anything new in the couple times that I have been.  Same question goes for Catawba I guess.  Do they brew anything in Charlotte that you can't get in Asheville?  Maybe the small batch stuff?

Just now, CTiger said:

^^ Does 4001 Yancy only brew beer that was already produced by Southern Teir/Victory?  I kind of assumed that their Charlotte location would be a spot to collaborate and create new recipes and beers that weren't already in production, but I didn't see anything new in the couple times that I have been.  Same question goes for Catawba I guess.  Do they brew anything in Charlotte that you can't get in Asheville?  Maybe the small batch stuff?

Yancy just started brewing in Southend like a week or two ago.  Likely just test batches though to get the system dialed in.  That can take weeks to get it right before a beer is ready to go into a bright tank.   Catawba CLT is being used for their barrel aged beers.  So one has to assume they are brewing those beers there before they put them in barrels. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into one of the Barking Duck proprietors at Sweet Union over the weekend.  I asked him what's up with Barking Duck, and he said they're done.  As in done done.  Their April facebook post said they would focus on distribution, so they'd still be at festivals and bars/restaurants......but yeah, I think it's safe to call them Not A Brewery unless somebody starts seeing their taps pop up somewhere.....or anywhere.

32 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

What are some bars in Charlotte that are pretty laid back and not too busy on a Friday afternoon/night? 

Montford area has a bunch.  Angry Ales when the weather is nice. They also have great beer prices on Friday's for local craft.  Gets more crowded as the night goes on but isn't bad until much later.  Brawleys is great for laid back atmosphere (but beers are expensive).  Moosehead wings are great. Laid back but busy.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

What are some bars in Charlotte that are pretty laid back and not too busy on a Friday afternoon/night? 

What neighborhood are you looking for? 

In southend, Pop the Top is usually pretty laid back.  I am going to be checking out Max and Lola's tonight which I figure will be pretty similar.   Craft is laid back but usually pretty crowded.  Palmer St I haven't been to in a while, but was pretty calm when I went last (probably last fall).  Bulldog as long as they don't have live music.

• Like 1

File under "inevitable":

AB-era Wicked Weed has hit bottom. Their shack at fanfest today, note the multiple cases of Michelob Ultra stacked inside (to be fair this was about 10 minutes after kickoff, but still).

I am surprised that AB isn't making minimal efforts to keep it as a distinct brand.

wicked weed.jpg

15 minutes ago, grodney said:

Legion nonBrewery in South Park is allegedly* opening this week......date not specified.

*according to their Instagram from 3 days ago.

On my way in to work this morning, there were lots of tables and benches on the main floor and the blue prints that have been taped to the window are gone.  I would say it looks like this week is likely a go barring any last minute snags.  

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Nice!  Brewery count now at 20-36, depending on what you include.  I added OMB at the airport to this list, and will be adding NoDa Airport when it opens.

cltbrewerycount2018-09-13.jpg

Bayne Brewing in Cornelius closed a couple months ago. I never made it there, but the word of mouth was always bad.

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Bayne Brewing in Cornelius closed a couple months ago. I never made it there, but the word of mouth was always bad.

Oh wow, thanks for the info!  I had no idea......I followed them on twitter maybe, but never kept track of them.  Another one bites the dust.

Local-ish brewery failures since the renaissance:  Four Friends, Barking Duck, Bayne.

Craft beer failures since the renaissance: The Beer Growler.  Sort of Good Bottle?  Sort of WoB South End slash Helles and Dunkel?  I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Edited by grodney