Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

48 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Something called NoDa BrewLab is taking the former NoDa grocery space. Intrigued. 

Interesting.

Hey man, any updates on Heist's taproom at their production facility?  Or Hyde Brewing at Noble Smoke?  Or Fonta Flora?

I asked Matt McK on the twitters, but he didn't answer......I think he's mad at me because I called him out for trying to justify $8 beers with "making beer is expensive", hahahaha.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Something called NoDa BrewLab is taking the former NoDa grocery space. Intrigued. 

https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?78521-Founding-head-brewer-at-ambitious-charlotte-nc-startup

Three Pillars?

Edit: - Looks like it will be called Optimist Brewing Co

Edited by InSouthPark

10 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

https://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?78521-Founding-head-brewer-at-ambitious-charlotte-nc-startup

Three Pillars?

Edit: - Looks like it will be called Optimist Brewing Co

It's not them.

33 minutes ago, grodney said:

Interesting.

Hey man, any updates on Heist's taproom at their production facility?  Or Hyde Brewing at Noble Smoke?  Or Fonta Flora?

I asked Matt McK on the twitters, but he didn't answer......I think he's mad at me because I called him out for trying to justify $8 beers with "making beer is expensive", hahahaha.

Not sure about Heist, but its close. Fonta is with Optimist Mill so next year some time. 

29 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Jayvee...any details on why it isn't them?   The job description in the post sounds exactly like what are describing.

"Also a 2,000 sq ft experimental brew lab with a 2 BBL system and taproom in the heart of NoDa."    

The location is not the same, however this could be a satellite location...? 

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The location is not the same, however this could be a satellite location...? 

it lists production brewery in Optimist Park and Lab in noda.

We are opening two Charlotte locations: A 10,000 sq ft brewery and taproom with a 15 BBL system, rooftop deck and food offerings in Optimist Park, just steps from the light rail. Also a 2,000 sq ft experimental brew lab with a 2 BBL system and taproom in the heart of NoDa. Core to our vision is a broad portfolio of beers with ample of room to push the brewing envelope; Creating tasting adventures, experiences and learning opportunities for beer lovers; Putting community at the forefront with a unique corporate giving model. 

31 minutes ago, grodney said:

Oh, so Three Pillars is now Optimist, and they have a 2nd experimental location?

"Interested candidates should send a cover letter, their resume, and something geeky about brewing to [email protected] with subject “Head Brewer” in the subject line."

The job was posted by user OptimistBrewCo and someone previously said the 3 pillars was a placeholder name (maybe RDF) so I was just putting two and two together. 

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Working on the details fellas....stay tuned. None of these are the final name of the place(s). Both are going to be fantastic. 

Nice!  Seems with just a little effort, these will be huge.

In other news, how did I not have Wooden Robot NoDa on my "Coming Soon" map until now?  Embarrassing.

Map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

18 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Working on the details fellas....stay tuned. None of these are the final name of the place(s). Both are going to be fantastic. 

I'm curious about this one based on the job posting.  "big future ambitions to impact craft brewing" and the money they are throwing at this from the beginning is a little worrisome in that they could either be 1: Someone like Unknown that started with huge plans (had a distributor signed before opening day) before even growing a local base in town or 2: Someone looking to build a "for sale" brewery like Wicked Weed.   The Guthy's had deep pockets and built a "for sale" brewery from the get go. 

Hopefully neither and just some folks with deep pockets and a love for beer, not full on investor looking to maximize profits.   Not sure how hard hitting Agenda wants to get on their articles but it would be nice to see the "person behind the curtains" of some of these startup breweries and where they are getting millions in capital to start up these businesses. 

52 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Good day for the local beer scene at GABF, two gold medals, a silver and two bronze

Gold

Gordgeous - Noda

Reserve Doree de Peche - Wooden Robot

Silver

The Big Lubelski - Divine Barrel

Bronze

Zest a Peel - Triple C

Brewers Day Off - D9

I would throw this post a like (I am proud of the locals and I would not have otherwise heard this news) but I hate Pumpkin beer so much that I simply can't do it.

Edited by kermit

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

No I haven't had it ( I really hate pumpkin stuff in all of its forms). But, because I trust your taste in beer now I will have to.

Damnit!

Oh no, now the pressure is on me!  I'll buy your remaining 3-pack from you if you don't like it.  Or you could go to Kit's in Pineville where he lets you break apart 4-packs at will.....I believe for no mark-up.  Oh wait, or you could just have it on tap.  Duh.

I won't touch any other pumpkin stuff.....it's all horrible.  Except maybe DogfishHead, but it's been years since I even had that.

10 minutes ago, grodney said:

Oh no, now the pressure is on me!  I'll buy your remaining 3-pack from you if you don't like it.  Or you could go to Kit's in Pineville where he lets you break apart 4-packs at will.....I believe for no mark-up.  Oh wait, or you could just have it on tap.  Duh.

I won't touch any other pumpkin stuff.....it's all horrible.  Except maybe DogfishHead, but it's been years since I even had that.

I’ll add a third view to this. I love all things pumpkin/fall but Gordgeous is towards very bottom for me as far as pumpkin beers go

New brewery in the Queen Park-ish area.....I hadn't heard anything about this one....Lower Left Brew Co.  Opening "early 2019" with construction starting "within the next few months".  Uhhhhhhhh.  Anyway: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/142353/lower-left-brew-co-brewery-in-charlotte/

Also, Town Brewing by the westside Rhino Market opens today at 2pm.

Updated map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Edited by grodney

1 hour ago, grodney said:

New brewery in the Queen Park-ish area.....I hadn't heard anything about this one....Lower Left Brew Co.  Opening "early 2019" with construction starting "within the next few months".  Uhhhhhhhh.  Anyway: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/142353/lower-left-brew-co-brewery-in-charlotte/

Also, Town Brewing by the westside Rhino Market opens today at 2pm.

Updated map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

I believe Lower Left is part of this ambitious redevelopment

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/191-206/2017-204 site plan 3rd rev.pdf