Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Went to Town Brewing right at 2 when they opened yesterday.  They were crushed, and none-too-efficient in taking care of the backlog, despite what seemed like a lot of people pouring.   The IPA was okay but unremarkable.  The Belgian Table Beer was right on style.  My wife said the Golden was okay but unremarkable.  My bro-in-law was fully unimpressed with the IPA and the ESB.  Line for beer was still long at 3pm.  Cool place, though.  I'm sure they'll kill it at that location.

Was going to hit Full Spectrum in Fort Mill today but the internets are reporting it is permanently closed.  I couldn't find any word of it on any social media or news.  Last IG post was Aug 23.

I have to give Blue Blaze a shout-out. I recently got over there for the first time, and I was very impressed. The vibe felt very Birdsong-y, and all the beers I tried were excellent. And a wall of playable string instruments? That's just awesome. 

They've obviously been rocking for two years already, but I'm glad to finally add them to my very favorites

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grodney said:

Went to Town Brewing right at 2 when they opened yesterday.  They were crushed, and none-too-efficient in taking care of the backlog, despite what seemed like a lot of people pouring.   The IPA was okay but unremarkable.  The Belgian Table Beer was right on style.  My wife said the Golden was okay but unremarkable.  My bro-in-law was fully unimpressed with the IPA and the ESB.  Line for beer was still long at 3pm.  Cool place, though.  I'm sure they'll kill it at that location.

Was going to hit Full Spectrum in Fort Mill today but the internets are reporting it is permanently closed.  I couldn't find any word of it on any social media or news.  Last IG post was Aug 23.

That stinks about Full Spectrum!  I liked that place - when it was open during the weekend.  I still think that Legal Remedy is by far one of the BEST breweries in the area!

On 9/29/2018 at 12:34 PM, grodney said:

I heard the same about Town from friends of mine. They had a pretty dim view on all the beers they tried.

Awesome news...Interesting location though.  Kind of wish it was within the Boardwalks "loop" a little more.  Those big-box stores need to go...they take up almost half of the lake frontage which could be a row of restaurants/bars/retail facing the lake.  There's a lot of vacant slots between Michael's and Ross.  But this brewery is a step in the right direction.  Besides the entertainment district where Top Golf 2 is going, I think the redevelopment of the Boardwalk & surrounding area is crucial to the University area in terms of making it a destination spot in Charlotte (especially being right off the light rail stop).

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

Not Charlotte but....

The 'super-regionals' (Lagunitas, Greenflash, Sweetwater, Stone, etc.) are continuing to struggle with over expansion.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2018/10/3/lagunitas-lays-off-more-than-100-tries-new-tactics-as-sales-slow

The decline makes sense to me, I generally only choose one of them when I don't have a more local option.  Perhaps the lesson is smaller is better...

We hit Pilot today at opening.....wide variety of styles....prettymuch all average.  Nothing stood out, but  nothing was horrible.  I liked the brewery itself.  No vibe to report on, as we were literally the only ones there from 11:00-12:30......other than one guy that sat at the bar.  We were on the patio, which was good at that time of day.

Then we went across the street to Pour.  What a fun place.  Haven't been to Hoppin', so this was a first experience with the pour-your-own.  I hate that it's sort-of a franchise/chain/whatever, but the owner-lady that was there was super nice and heavily into the beer.

Oh I forgot to tell you all.....I was in Hyde last week and tried to buy a pint glass and they wouldn't sell me one because they are re-branding.  According to the bartender, anyway, there is another Hyde out there, so this one has to change.

In unrelated news, as I took my express bus bridge up South Blvd today, I noticed The Beer Growler space is still open.

7 hours ago, grodney said:

Oh I forgot to tell you all.....I was in Hyde last week and tried to buy a pint glass and they wouldn't sell me one because they are re-branding.  According to the bartender, anyway, there is another Hyde out there, so this one has to change.

In unrelated news, as I took my express bus bridge up South Blvd today, I noticed The Beer Growler space is still open.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:doylt8.4.27

Yeah they abandoned the trademark registration in August.  There is a Hyde Park Brewery in NY.  Someone challenged them. 

EDIT: It was Hyde and Hyde Lounge  (night club with several high profile locations) trademarks that challenged them. 

Edited by InSouthPark

Agenda reporting that the Optimist Brewing Lab in the old NoDa Grocery space will be "Protagonist Clubhouse".  I'm not clear if that's the brewery name, or if it's Optimist Brewing but this location is the Protagonist Clubhouse, or what.  No date given.  Anyway: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/145481/protagonist-clubhouse-brewery-taproom-noda/

Also mentioned is the other spot at 21st and Brevard.

I updated my map with the new name: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Agenda reporting that the Optimist Brewing Lab in the old NoDa Grocery space will be "Protagonist Clubhouse".  I'm not clear if that's the brewery name, or if it's Optimist Brewing but this location is the Protagonist Clubhouse, or what.  No date given.  Anyway: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/145481/protagonist-clubhouse-brewery-taproom-noda/

Also mentioned is the other spot at 21st and Brevard.

I updated my map with the new name: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

If the google does me right...we now see who the main investor is: Ryan McKillen.  As in billionaire Ryan McKillen one of the founders of Uber. 

Edit - Not all the founders are billionaires but you get the point.

Edited by InSouthPark

56 minutes ago, grodney said:

I'll pay whatever.

But bigger picture and for my descendents, considering it's just a step on the way to wiping out humanity, I'd rather fix the problem and keep the cheap beer!

^ Post of the year!

(I knew it would be in this thread)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a practice I hadn't heard of before, Resident Culture is offering their latest can release via mobile/web at residentculture.craftcellr.com .  The release is Saturday, but you can pre-order now, and pick up anytime before Nov 10.  $1 fee.

An interesting option for can addicts like me who can't make it to can releases, or don't care to deal with the madness of handing out numbers, standing in lines, and all that.

Speaking of cans, I can't think of any reason that Heist isn't brewing, canning, and self-distributing CitraQuench'l (and others) by the truckload.  Seems like easy money in the bank.  Ideas?

• Like 1