Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

5 minutes ago, grodney said:

In a practice I hadn't heard of before, Resident Culture is offering their latest can release via mobile/web at residentculture.craftcellr.com .  The release is Saturday, but you can pre-order now, and pick up anytime before Nov 10.  $1 fee.

An interesting option for can addicts like me who can't make it to can releases, or don't care to deal with the madness of handing out numbers, standing in lines, and all that.

Speaking of cans, I can't think of any reason that Heist isn't brewing, canning, and self-distributing CitraQuench'l (and others) by the truckload.  Seems like easy money in the bank.  Ideas?

They are a little bit.  It shows up at Brawley, Salud, Pop the Top, Craft, etc.

But you have to look at the margin they make selling in the taproom vs selling it else where.  Their model is basically sell as much as they can in taproom for two weeks then distribute the rest through town.   I would venture to say they make 30% more on a direct sale vs through a store. 

17 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

But you have to look at the margin they make selling in the taproom vs selling it else where.  Their model is basically sell as much as they can in taproom for two weeks then distribute the rest through town.   I would venture to say they make 30% more on a direct sale vs through a store. 

But why not have CitraQuench'l cans available all of the time, or even more of the time, in the taproom?  It's sort-of their flagship.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, grodney said:

But why not have CitraQuench'l cans available all of the time, or even more of the time, in the taproom?  It's sort-of their flagship.

The shelf life of the hazy IPA's is insanely low (like 3 weeks before it tastes nothing like the original).  My guess is they want people drinking it as intended and rather have a demand for it and sell quickly.   If you don't produce it all the time, demand goes higher for when you do. And in the mean time, release something else that is new and exciting and everyone buys quickly.  They always have cans, but rotate variety frequently.   

Of course these are all just educated guesses based on what I hear other breweries in our region do over on beeradvocate 

I'll admit that I am always on the pessimistic side when it comes to the 'how many breweries is the right amount question" I will say that the news today reports that two Triangle Breweries are shutting down in th e next few days. One Raleigh brewpub that was marginal (I forget the name) and now this, more shocking, news:

First time I went to Brewers at 4001 Yancey I liked it a lot. Yesterday I went back after the game and god it was mediocre. We got pork rinds (why? I should have talked my friend out of that anyways) and pimento cheese. Pimento Cheese is a Charlotte staple,  I think its something we claim we even evented. It was horrid, and unseasoned. We sent it back, encouraged them to remove it off the menu. Then we got our food, and my wife and I got Pork Tacos, my friends got bbq plate, and cheese steak sammy. The Cheese Steak sammy was good enough, but eveything else was just completely devoid of seasoning. The pork was cooked pretty decently, the ribs were bone dry, the fries unseasoned and overcooked. Super disappointing. We drank a LOT of their pumpkin beers though. Pumpkin is usually never something I like but their Coffee Pumpkin, Chai Pumpkin and Rum Barrel aged pumkins were all great.

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

I'm surprised anyone is going to the Park Road Duckworth's. 

Try not to hold it against me, I was slightly hungover so  I wanted a philly, a beer and to watch four college games at once.

34 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

First time I went to Brewers at 4001 Yancey I liked it a lot. Yesterday I went back after the game and god it was mediocre.

Pork rinds, not from a bag? Really?

Sorry to hear that it sucked, I liked the food at my first visit as well. I am always suspicious of food at massive places like that, I would think it would be tough to keep any chef willing to take responsibility for the kitchen's output.  I remain intrigued by their beer selection however.

Related to this, I am puzzled that we still haven't seen the emergence of a true gastro-brewpub (this 4001 was supposed to be just that). I have had one pretty good meal at Wooden Robot's new kitchen, but otherwise its really tough (for me) to find decent bar food in town. This is particularly true in comparison to a place like Asheville. I am not opposed to food trucks, but their output can be pretty uneven, and it feels like quality declines quickly when when they make themselves permanent at a brewery.

Edited by kermit

38 minutes ago, kermit said:

Pork rinds, not from a bag? Really?

Theres a "Carolina Style" Bbq place in Bushwick, BK that puts pork rinds/cracklin in their pulled pork, first time I bit into it I thought I broke my tooth on a bone, nope, just a pork rind. I never went back, well at least not for bbq, they are a great beer bar, and have mac & cheese made in a waffle iron. http://arrogantswine.com/

40 minutes ago, kermit said:

Related to this, I am puzzled that we still haven't seen the emergence of a true gastro-brewpub (this 4001 was supposed to be just that). I have had one pretty good meal at Wooden Robot's new kitchen, but otherwise its really tough (for me) to find decent bar food in town. This is particularly true in comparison to a place like Asheville. I am not opposed to food trucks, but their output can be pretty uneven, and it feels like quality declines quickly when when they make themselves permanent at a brewery.

Suffolk Punch is nice and so is Heist... I don't hate the german food at Old Meck

Interesting you mentioned Brewers at Yancey with differing experiences.  My fiancee and I can walk there so we go somewhat regularly.  She's ordered the veggie burger multiple times and the last was horrid and a totally different experience from prior.  Having been there before we can give benefit of the doubt knowing it must be an "off night".  But not a good look either way

Related, the Pizza at Unknown saved my life on Sunday before the game. After Drinks with @Jayvee at Nuvole after Hamilton, my wife and I walked into Rosemont and had just "one more." The hangover the next morning was intense, and had it not been for Passport Dough & Co, the panthers game would have been a miserable experience. The pizza itself isn't anything to write home about, I'd appreciate a little less cheese and a crunchier crust, but in a pinch, after hr + waits at both Famous Toastery and Holler & Dash made me skip both and go straight to tailgating, it deserves some respeck

Edited by Guest

I know this isn't the "Eating Pork Rinds in Charlotte" thread, but have to give a shout out to Seoul Food Meat Co, and their delicious, well everything, but Sriracha Cracklins.

As far as beer?  No clue, never made it past the soju, but usually get a Grammy's Breakfast at Unknown before a night of the meat sweats.

• Like 1

Regarding the above series of posts....

1.  I have no issue with Duckworth's.  And speaking of them, I was recently made aware that their non-ParkRd locations have an everyday carryout special of 2 large pizzas and 2 growlers* for $25.  That's incredible!   *growlers -- I think they mean 32oz, but still.....that's 4 pints of beer and 2 pizzas.

2. The famous Skylight Inn bbq in Ayden NC chops cracklins into their pulled pork.  I didn't mind it.  It's a "crunch element", hahahaha.  I liked when Guy Fieri (or somebody) pointed out that half of their cutting board had eroded away (into the sandwiches), and the proprietor said "our cutting board tastes better than most BBQ".  Ha!  https://www.skylightinnbbq.com/welcome

3. Regarding Victory/ST, coincidental to these posts, I just today saw an uptick in their bottled offerings at Rhino Uptown.  See pic below.

IMG_20181030_070445.jpg

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 7:00 AM, grodney said:

Oh I forgot to tell you all.....I was in Hyde last week and tried to buy a pint glass and they wouldn't sell me one because they are re-branding.  According to the bartender, anyway, there is another Hyde out there, so this one has to change.

And following-up on this, they announced on the twitters that Hyde Brewing is no more, and they are now Suffolk Punch Brewing.

Went to Pop the Top in Southend for probably the second time or so since they opened, and was surprised to see their grocery section has gotten much better.  They had some excellent beers to choose from.  The knock on this place is that it is pricey (this is true) but they have a wide selection of regional goodness - Commonwealth, Fonta Flora, Wilmington, etc. in fridges.

The brewers at 4100 Yancey are “officially” a Charlotte brewery now, releasing two CLT born and brewed beers last night. Both were pretty good and would drink again (although they are more summer styles). I talking with the bartender And they said they were having permit issues with the brewery which caused the delay in getting beer to market. She said these had been sitting in the tanks way longer then they wanted to, taking some of the grapefruit away from the kolsh.  The place was completely packed last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Petty Thieves has signed a lease for a brewery in North End.  Opening Summer 2019

Edit - From Untappd, it looks they have been at some Camp North End events pouring beer but can't tell from the FB post where in "north end" they are going to locate at.

Edit 2 - That added the location more or less "Look for us at The Shop on North Graham-the gateway to North End"

Between Graham, Dalton and Liddell

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Petty Thieves has signed a lease for a brewery in North End.  Opening Summer 2019

Wow, I had prettymuch given up on them.  This has been a long time coming.    At one point it was pretty certain they were going in at 2501 The Plaza, but that obviously fell through.