Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

14 hours ago, CriticalT said:

Have we talked about Pharr Mill Brewing in Harrisburg?   https://pharrmillbrewing.com/  I dont remember this from last summer but apparently they're getting close to opening per a facebook update.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br3IRllgom_/

image.png

Edited by tozmervo
instagram won't embed for some reason
  • Like 1

I'm obsessed with the idea of NoDa opening a taproom in The Liberty spot at Blakeney.  I have to assume the keg and tap infrastructure already in place would be close if not good enough.  They have food service at the airport, so they could do similar here.  Under-served market.  Huge drinking population nearby.  There is a little outdoor seating.  I never made it to The Liberty, so I don't know if the walls roll up or anything like that.  Anyway, they would kill it.

If not NoDa, I don't know......maybe Birdsong, but I don't like the fit as well.

Speaking of under-served markets, we went to Amor Artis in Ft Mill at 1pm Saturday (they open at Noon) and it was PACKED.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 7:51 AM, grodney said:

I was checking NC Beer Guys "coming soon" map, and saw these in charlotte that I've never heard of before:

Axiom Brewing Company

Hornets Nest Brewing Company (Mint Hill)

Library Brewing Company

Nordic Tombstone Brewing

Reichelt Brewing

Smiles Brewing

Webdale Brewing Company

I don't know if I'm bored enough to research all those.  Oh, who am I kidding.

Axiom is going in the American Billiards Building. 

10 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well, hello Scoopy.

Added to map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Oh and here's the re-zoning: https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2018Petitions/Pages/2018-122.aspx

Edited by grodney

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I can't imagine this name sticks.  Quick google search shows a New Axium brewery exists in Missouri.   

Cool new spot though.  Curious to see how the outdoor patio works.  Like on top of the little dumpy part of the building or tear off and build new?  

1 minute ago, InSouthPark said:

I can't imagine this name sticks.  Quick google search shows a New Axium brewery exists in Missouri.   

Cool new spot though.  Curious to see how the outdoor patio works.  Like on top of the little dumpy part of the building or tear off and build new?  

See attached. I have a call with them today. and will know more.

unnamed-3.png

Edited by Guest

It seems like the skyline view from the elevated patio would be pretty sweet.  But is there something being built between that patio and the skyline.....I saw something on the development map, but don't know what it is.

Also yeah I saw New Axiom and also Axiom in Wales and even found some traces of Axiom in Chandler AZ.  Although I get lots of hits for these guys on the various trademark sites.

Edited by grodney

3 hours ago, grodney said:

It seems like the skyline view from the elevated patio would be pretty sweet.  But is there something being built between that patio and the skyline.....I saw something on the development map, but don't know what it is.

Also yeah I saw New Axiom and also Axiom in Wales and even found some traces of Axiom in Chandler AZ.  Although I get lots of hits for these guys on the various trademark sites.

Axiom is not the final name. Axiom is the parent company. I talked to them this afternoon, will have an article out sometime this week or next

22 hours ago, grodney said:

I guess the biggest threat to the skyline view would be the CPCC site next door, there's currently a one-story building there. There's also Woodie's garage, I suppose they could sell out at some point, especially if Elizabeth and 4th St develop. But past those two there's a downward slope toward Little Sugar Creek with just a couple of three-story CPCC buildings in between the patio and 277.

15 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

I guess the biggest threat to the skyline view would be the CPCC site next door, there's currently a one-story building there. 

Ah yeah, that's the one I was thinking of.  There's a project for a 5-story building there, but I don't know the status.

From the UP Development Map:

name
CPCC - Basic Skills Literacy Center
description
Project Cost: $56,100,000Project Fiscal Year Start: 2017
Project Description: Scope includes demolition of the Education Center at 1412 East 4th St. and the adjacent small office building at 1422 East 4th St. The new facility will be 200,000 square foot 5-story with an Orientation/Intake area, GED testing center, classrooms, labs, offices, and space for Social Services.
Project Justification: This project will help meet the demand for Social Services programs including Basic Skills, Adult High School, and GED testing. These programs will serve over 4000 students, or 1,333 FTE. Up to 20% of the project will be dedicated to Social Services.
Estimated Start Date: January 1, 2017

Estimated Finish Date: July 1, 2019

From the Heist facebook (I was just looking for some Citraquench cans)

We are pleased to finally announce the GRAND OPENING of our Barrel Arts location in Camp North End. On February 23rd, we will be opening our doors to the public with a day full of beer, food, music, prizes, and events. Over the coming weeks we will be adding more details, including the musicians who will be playing, beer releases, and other little nuggets of awesomeness! We hope that you will be able to join us on this amazing day!

• Like 1

I am considering a jihad against the creeping menace of 14 ounce ‘pint’ glasses. 

I really like Common Market, they do a great job curating their taps. However, $7.50 for a disguised short-pour of a beer brewed 3 miles away (citraquench)  is just a step too far for me.  Its not just CM who is guilty of these double price hikes, I am seeing them at Craft as well.

Anybody ready to join the resistance? If we dont fight back we will be paying $5 for shotglasses of Copper and Ramble on Red before long.

B1938B99-A8E2-4211-B48F-A54B549C6690.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Noon-8pm today Heist is being turned into a Levi's pop-up shop.  They say stop by for a beer, food, and a fitting.  And after 8pm and all day Saturday they are completely closed to the public.  Wow.  This all-star thing is something else.

Speaking of Heist, their new Barrel Arts location is open, so I've added it to the map.  Grand opening later this month.  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

That makes them the first Charlotte brewery with 2 full locations (brewing and regular service hours).

13 hours ago, grodney said:

From Noon-8pm today Heist is being turned into a Levi's pop-up shop.  They say stop by for a beer, food, and a fitting.  And after 8pm and all day Saturday they are completely closed to the public.  Wow.  This all-star thing is something else.

Speaking of Heist, their new Barrel Arts location is open, so I've added it to the map.  Grand opening later this month.  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

That makes them the first Charlotte brewery with 2 full locations (brewing and regular service hours).

I don’t believe Heist brews at the NoDa location at all any more. Last I read was that Salud used it as their brewery and all Heist beers were brewed at the new facility as has since they opened it. 

I have 3 bits of weird Sycamore stuff:

1) This Saturday they are releasing "Juiciness IPA" , the latest in their IPAs that are indistinguishable and inconsistent.....in my opinion.....but apparently sell.  Anyway, they're doing 8-pack boxes of cans instead of 4-packs.  If that weren't odd enough, they're saying the 8-packs are $15.99.  I figured it was a typo, but they typed it twice separately.  What in the world?  That doesn't even make sense.  Weird.

2) Last Saturday.......cold, rainy, all-star festivities......they had an oyster roast.  And now they just announced this Sunday they're having a "pop up raw bar" with free oysters on the half-shell.  You don't think they.........they're not using............8 days later............nooooo.......can't be.  But weird.

3) I was at a small bottle shop and couldn't find any Sycamore on the shelf.  I asked the owner, and he said they no longer carry it, because Sycamore treats people poorly.  Apparently specifically an ex-employee (of Syc, or of the bottle shop?  I don't know).  He said he hated to do it because their product sells, but you can't treat people like that.  Huh, weird.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, grodney said:

I have 3 bits of weird Sycamore stuff:

1) This Saturday they are releasing "Juiciness IPA" , the latest in their IPAs that are indistinguishable and inconsistent.....in my opinion.....but apparently sell.  Anyway, they're doing 8-pack boxes of cans instead of 4-packs.  If that weren't odd enough, they're saying the 8-packs are $15.99.  I figured it was a typo, but they typed it twice separately.  What in the world?  That doesn't even make sense.  Weird.

I am with you on that one.  8 pint cans of a 6.8% IPA for $16?   That would make it one of the cheapest local beers in town (definitely the cheapest IPA I can think of).   Occasionally will see Cavu for $8 a 4 pack but that is < 5% and not at all popular.  I also agree with you about the indistinguishable IPA's they release.  But apparently the kids buy it.  

And yeah, those "free" oysters would be a hard pass from me! LOL.

• Like 2