Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

Skull Coast Ales has finally announced/the story has broken on where their brewery will be located. They will be refurbishing The Hollar Hosiery Mill site in Hickory, NC just off of interstate 40. I cant wait until their beers are back on the market, their some of the best craft brews money can buy. There is also mention of a reality show being filmed during the restoration of the mill and opening of the brewery.

More in article here:

http://www.observernewsonline.com/content/exclusive-new-brewery-tap

• 2 months later...

Cool little snippet on Fox Charlotte regarding the rising craft beer scene around town: http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/top-stories/Reboot-Charlotte-Craft-Beers-Tap-Into-NoDas-Artistry-162677796.html

The only thing I take issue with is at the beginning of the news segment, they make reference to "boutique beer"... We're not shopping for women's clothing here. This is BEER :alc:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on a Birdsong kick myself. Jalapeno is a major favorite, and their Red House and Golden Raisin (both specialty batches) are on point. Of course, Mecktoberfest drops at OMB August 29, so I know what I'll be drinking for a few month!

Do they still have any Jalapeno at Birdsong? I can't seem to get a hold of it every time I go to fill up a growler.

• 2 weeks later...

Went down to Triple C Sunday afternoon. I really like the space, its slightly swankier than Old Mecklenburg but it also had five or six dogs inside so it was a really nice environment to have a few pints. The outdoor space looked fine (grassy but inside a chain link fence) but, despite the large crowd, no one was using it on Sunday afternoon (the fence did make a handy place to store my bcycle with a broken lock). If Sunday afternoon was any indication Triple C will generate a great deal of foot traffic around SoBern.

I had the Greenway IPA, I thought it was kinda blah but I am eager to try their other beers, especially their amber. The weird part was they don't include sales tax on their beers, consiquently it takes a longggg time for the bartenders to make change. The other downside was that growler pricing looked to be a couple bucks higher than at Old Meck.

Overall I am very glad Triple C is now in the neighborhood, I'll be back.

So Heist has also officially opened. So, South to North: Four Friends, OMB, Triple C, Rock Bottom, NoDa, Birdsong, Heist.

I managed to get out to Triple C AND Heist this weekend:

Triple C - Smoked Amber on Nitro definitely the best. "Up the Middle" is a great way to describe the Pale Ale, and I would say that's true of the IPA as well. The space is really quite nice using old palette wood. They don't really have any beer I'd take home in a growler - yet - but neither did Birdsong when they first opened.

As for Heist, that was the best new restaurant experience I've ever had in Charlotte. I *loved* every part of it. The food was outstanding - I had the duck flatbread and later a cherry float. The interior is phenomenal: warm, rich, but also very laid back and tactile. My bar staff was really fun and informative, with genuine friendliness and good suggestions. And the beer. Get this, they have eleven taps, with room for one more. And they have four house-brewed sodas (I'll refer you back to the cherry float). Despite that number, I was really impressed with the quality. I tried 6 beers, and ended up with pints of the red (my favorite) and the tripel (my favorite if I'm not driving).

I am DEFINITELY going back to Heist.

I went to both Triple C and Heist yesterday, plus a repeat stop at Birdsong on the way home. Can't add too much to tozmervo's review.

The Triple C space is nice and the beers are good. Will love stopping here on my train ride uptown for Bobcats games.

The Heist space is extremely cool with tons of money obviously spent, and the food was really good. The burgers and pizza and pretzels with beer cheese app were all great, except that we got way too few pretzels for the generous serving of beer cheese dip. Oh well, we used the rest of the dip for our side tots with the burgers.

However, our group of 3 didn't like the beer at all, and we're NOT beer snobs. We tried all 11, and we found them all to be a little watery, under-carbonated, and sort-of flavorless. The Blueberry Blonde was close to being okay for its style, but that's not a style I get very fired up about. The Hefe was close too, but again, it's hard to have a Hefe that truly lights your fire. The Red and Trippel were okay, but far from the quality coming out of the other breweries. It was really a disappointment.

Birdsong was a delicious and consistent end to the evening.

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Triple C last weekend. Their location is definitely in a bit of a sketchy area, but once all the new apartments over there are online, it should be much better. They definitely picked an area with good potential.

I liked their Smoked Amber, but I was not a fan of the rest of their beers. They had the Smoked Amber and four IPA's. If you like IPA's, you'll probably love Triple C, but I do not.

I visited NoDa brewery last weekend as well and liked their setup very much. I had had much of their beer before, but there were a few varieties I tried for the first time. Their selection was much more to my liking than that of Triple C, but only because they had more non-IPA selections.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Ass Clown on Saturday for the first time. Crazy beer flavors. Crazy. They all seemed well-done for what they were trying to be. There will be some you don't "like". Not because they're bad, just because the flavors/styles are so diverse. Intimate little tap room with a small bar, a couple high-tops, a low table with some lounge chairs, and some rail space. Way too far for me to hit often (or again?), but I liked it. I definitely recommend going there and getting a couple samplers. Share with a friend, then enjoy a pint of whatever you liked best.

You all have probably seen this article in Creative Loafing, but just in case, it mentions a couple things of note: 1) Four Friends has closed their "tap room", but has leased additional space and intends to open a new tap room, and 2) Maybe mentioned up-thread, Free Range Brewing, looking for space in Plaza Midwood.

http://clclt.com/cha...ent?oid=2869720

Edited by grodney

Do any of these new breweries bottle beer that I can find in a grocery store? Or at the brewery? I know OMB does, but anyone else?

Also, I love porters (Coco Loco is fantastic). Besides NoDa Brewing, does any other Meck brewery do a Porter? Taking a quick look at a couple of sites, I didn't see any.