Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

11 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I wonder if the children/grandchildren of today's Millennials will see breweries as that silly fad that their parents generation ate up, like, i dunno, fast food joints?

our maybe the macrobrewers become the Burger Chefs of the era instead?

Having said that, the Charlotte Five article saying that 21 more breweries have been announced did make me shake my head.

9 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

http://www.charlottefive.com/21-more-breweries-could-be-coming-to-the-charlotte-area/

I was reading this C5 article and came across one future brewery I really like the sound of- Avenge Brewing. Has anyone heard anything else about them?

Just curious about what made Avenge stand out to you... I checked their Facebook out and it seems like they haven't been active in months.  Am I missing something?  So many of these breweries in planning come out of the gate making a lot of noise but from what I can tell, opening a brewery is a pretty long process, and most don't seem to have the "stamina".  Maybe you saw something I didn't.  Prost!

5 hours ago, NeverSummer said:

Just curious about what made Avenge stand out to you... I checked their Facebook out and it seems like they haven't been active in months.  Am I missing something?  So many of these breweries in planning come out of the gate making a lot of noise but from what I can tell, opening a brewery is a pretty long process, and most don't seem to have the "stamina".  Maybe you saw something I didn't.  Prost!

It stood out to me because I'm half British!

• Like 1

I added two breweries to the "coming soon" in my list, from the article (link above) featuring 21 breweries coming soon, not that I think either of them will happen soon if ever.  Nearly all of the 21 in the article are outside my self-imposed Mecklenburg boundary.  Hell, 4 Chambers in Stallings is closer to "Charlotte" than Moorseville....in my world anyway...and it's not included.  Oh wait they included one in Waxhaw so maybe they just missed 4 Chambers.  Anywhoooo, neither one I added makes the map since they don't have a location.

List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L2d284jafmGz6fnXWZkHOnwySw5x1-l5F3BnhTswm9I/edit?usp=sharing

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

p.s. http://www.ncbeerguys.com/ maintains good maps of open and coming soon, but like all state-based maps, they miss out on nearby SC breweries like Legal Remedy in Rock Hill, Full Spectrum in Mint Hill, etc.

Edit: Oh wow just realized the article doesn't list tentatively named Central Brewing.  (The article got its list from the Chamber, which must not know about that one.)

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Growler USA in Ballantyne is pretty terrible.  Bad service.  High prices.  Some google reviewers complained of the pricing and the owner actually responded and said they lowered them.  Turns out the menu price for my wife's beer was $6.50/16oz and she got charged $5/12oz, which is actually worse!  Jalapeno said $7/16oz on the menu, so probably a similar rip job there.  Also $20 for a growler of jalapeno which is ridiculous (just as an example, I'm obviously buying cans if I want some jalapeno).  Screens with beer list above the bar had too much glare and the type was too small.  Paper menus were out of date (100 taps and they hadn't updated menu in 6 days?)....they had scribbled out any beers they were out of.  Waitress needed a beer NUMBER off the menu, not a name....which I'd also read in a google review and I thought was odd....like she couldn't look it up herself?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

The updates to Sycamore Brewing, including new taproom, look pretty bada$$... Can't wait for Food Truck Fridays.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/38365/sycamore-brewing-new-taproom-food-truck-friday/

They will be able to just start printing money on patio weather days. The additional bars are MUCH needed as they have the slowest system on earth.  Not uncommon to wait for 10 minutes to get a beer even on a semi nice day. 

In unrelated brewing news: Wooden Robot is brewing up a gluten free-ish beer being released today. I still can't believe no one else has brewed up a gluten free-ish pale/IPA and put it into regular rotation.  Lenny Boy's No Show amber ok but folks want hops. 

My wife has celiac so we are always looking for GF options and besides the big collaboration batch Noda did with the Lenny Boy last year, nobody really even tries it.  

19 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Sycamore is gonna look good. I hope everything pans out for them during the review/approval process. This could rival OMB's outdoor area.

From a space standpoint I agree, but from a "crowd" standpoint, there is a significant chasm between the two, haha.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2016 at 0:14 PM, grodney said:

Growler USA in Ballantyne is pretty terrible.  Bad service.  High prices.  Some google reviewers complained of the pricing and the owner actually responded and said they lowered them.  Turns out the menu price for my wife's beer was $6.50/16oz and she got charged $5/12oz, which is actually worse!  Jalapeno said $7/16oz on the menu, so probably a similar rip job there.  Also $20 for a growler of jalapeno which is ridiculous (just as an example, I'm obviously buying cans if I want some jalapeno).  Screens with beer list above the bar had too much glare and the type was too small.  Paper menus were out of date (100 taps and they hadn't updated menu in 6 days?)....they had scribbled out any beers they were out of.  Waitress needed a beer NUMBER off the menu, not a name....which I'd also read in a google review and I thought was odd....like she couldn't look it up herself?

I went by yesterday and had a similar but different experience. I thought pricing was all over the place.  Some local beers like Noda were $4.50 a pint. That's cheap.  They also had 13oz / $10 pour of Alpine Duet which only costs $9 for a 22oz bomber. That's redonkulas.  Others were all over the place. Some with good prices, others average, others sky high. I have no problem paying $8-9 for a pour of something uncommon and expensive but $10 for a 13oz pour of an off the shelf IPA? 

I had no problem reading the monitors but the print out was 7 days old with things hand written in and the couple next to us said half they stuff they tried to order off the paper menu was out.

I had no problems with service and got our beers and checks very quickly.  They added sound panels to reduce the noise level. It was pretty busy around 4:30 and then slowed down around 5:30 when I assume most were heading out for dinner. I didn't have any questions for my server so I can't comment on her knowledge.

Overall I thought the selection was excellent and more diverse than Ballantyne Duckworths. I actually like the fact that they don't focus too much on local. I can get the local stuff anywhere. They had breweries and beers I have never even heard of before.

They will have some growing pains but nothing think they can't fix if they are indeed listening to their customers.

Sycamore twitted that they are canning Southern Girl (American Blonde) and Peak Farm (Double Pale) *today*!  Excellent. Countryside IPA still to come.  (I'm not a huge fan of any of these 3 beers, but more local choice is always awesome.)

(Unknown has tweeted pics of their Ginger Wheat cans, so those should be soon.  Triple C twitterered the label concept for their Hefe as their next seasonal can (frisbee golf graphics!!).  )

I have to say I'm coming around on Sycamore.  The first two visits were pretty bad.  As I previously reported, the bartenders were cold and unwelcoming, and the beers were average at best.  But we've been back several times since, and they have improved on both those points.  Not fantastic levels, but much better.  The 20-something south end crowd obviously loves it for the party spot it is, but I'm glad we (older suburbanites) can go there occasionally and not immediately regret it.  We actually make a point to hit their 3rd-Saturday-of-the-month breakfast with Roots food truck.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

Minor new items for those of you who don't read Five or Agenda religiously:

- Blue Blaze is now saying mid-Apr to mid-Jun. https://www.charlotteagenda.com/39117/blue-blaze-brewing/

- Thirsty Nomad is now saying "spring" instead of "early" 2016.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/39053/update-thirsty-nomad-brewery/

- Wooden Robot plans to do bottles this year. http://www.charlottefive.com/behind-the-brews-wooden-robot-wants-to-bring-something-different-to-the-charlotte-beer-scene/

Upcoming openings:

- Barking Duck - re-opening "very soon" in a new location, presumably still Mint Hillish.

- Thirsty Nomad - Spring - Across 77 from OMB.

- Blue Blaze - Apr-Jun - Seversville in West End.

- Lenny Boy new location - End of Summer - west of Triple C on Tryon.

- Central Brewing (tentative name) - Rezoning was supposed to be 2/15 but now looks like 2/29.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2016 at 11:25 AM, InSouthPark said:

I went by yesterday and had a similar but different experience. I thought pricing was all over the place.  Some local beers like Noda were $4.50 a pint. That's cheap.  They also had 13oz / $10 pour of Alpine Duet which only costs $9 for a 22oz bomber. That's redonkulas.  Others were all over the place. Some with good prices, others average, others sky high. I have no problem paying $8-9 for a pour of something uncommon and expensive but $10 for a 13oz pour of an off the shelf IPA? 

I had no problem reading the monitors but the print out was 7 days old with things hand written in and the couple next to us said half they stuff they tried to order off the paper menu was out.

I had no problems with service and got our beers and checks very quickly.  They added sound panels to reduce the noise level. It was pretty busy around 4:30 and then slowed down around 5:30 when I assume most were heading out for dinner. I didn't have any questions for my server so I can't comment on her knowledge.

Overall I thought the selection was excellent and more diverse than Ballantyne Duckworths. I actually like the fact that they don't focus too much on local. I can get the local stuff anywhere. They had breweries and beers I have never even heard of before.

They will have some growing pains but nothing think they can't fix if they are indeed listening to their customers.

I really love the Triple C Hefe design 

89GJoUy.jpg?1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grodney said:

Minor new items for those of you who don't read Five or Agenda religiously:

- Blue Blaze is now saying mid-Apr to mid-Jun. https://www.charlotteagenda.com/39117/blue-blaze-brewing/

- Thirsty Nomad is now saying "spring" instead of "early" 2016.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/39053/update-thirsty-nomad-brewery/

- Wooden Robot plans to do bottles this year. http://www.charlottefive.com/behind-the-brews-wooden-robot-wants-to-bring-something-different-to-the-charlotte-beer-scene/

Upcoming openings:

- Barking Duck - re-opening "very soon" in a new location, presumably still Mint Hillish.

- Thirsty Nomad - Spring - Across 77 from OMB.

- Blue Blaze - Apr-Jun - Seversville in West End.

- Lenny Boy new location - End of Summer - west of Triple C on Tryon.

- Central Brewing (tentative name) - Rezoning was supposed to be 2/15 but now looks like 2/29.

I really think Wooden Robot is going to be the next big thing from Charlotte's craft beer scene. Look forward to them bottling their beers. 

• Like 1

Finally got to try out Wooden Robot last night.  REALLY enjoyed two different beers that were on tap!  With all of the breweries opening up, it is hard to keep track of which ones I like best.  My only downside was the physical space.  It is in an awesome location, but they could definitely use some more room!  Packed to the gills inside and out!  But that is a good thing!

Picked up two 4-packs of cans at Sycamore.  They're charging $12 for their 5.1% Southern Girl Blonde, and $14 for their 7.2% Peak Farm Double Pale.  Ridiculous.  Compare the $12 Southern Girl to CAVU, Golden Boy, (Pre-Game), as well as Jalapeno, Jam Session, Lazy Bird, etc ---- all of those are 2-3 dollars cheaper.  And the $14 for Peak Farm is specialty pricing on a normal beer.  Hell, I pay $11 for 7.2% Hop Drop everyday pricing.  

I guess the market will speak.  Count me out.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Picked up two 4-packs of cans at Sycamore.  They're charging $12 for their 5.1% Southern Girl Blonde, and $14 for their 7.2% Peak Farm Double Pale.  Ridiculous.  Compare the $12 Southern Girl to CAVU, Golden Boy, (Pre-Game), as well as Jalapeno, Jam Session, Lazy Bird, etc ---- all of those are 2-3 dollars cheaper.  And the $14 for Peak Farm is specialty pricing on a normal beer.  Hell, I pay $11 for 7.2% Hop Drop everyday pricing.  

I guess the market will speak.  Count me out.

Where were you getting those prices at?  They were $10 and $10.50 at Total wine on Friday which is totally inline with everyone else.  If they are selling them more at the brewery, well that is just plain stupid on their part. 

23 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Where were you getting those prices at?  They were $10 and $10.50 at Total wine on Friday which is totally inline with everyone else.  If they are selling them more at the brewery, well that is just plain stupid on their part. 

Yes, $12 and $14 at the brewery.  So that's weird I guess (that the difference is that big), but good news regarding the other retail outlets.

^^ Talk about inflating prices! I could see some of the retail spots jacking up the price a little but for the brewery to be selling for $3.50 more a 4-pack than retail is nuts!  I know sometimes Triple C's special release BBA beers are a buck or so more at the brewery but I have no problem with that as they are one time releases and generally sell out at the brewery.  Everyone else pretty much just sells at retail price. 

Wasn't that about average as to what NoDa and Birdsong started off selling their canned beer?  I wonder if it has to do more that Sycamore is using a third party to do their canning versus owning the equipment themselves.  I could be wrong but when the other breweries used a third party instead of their own equipment I feel their price was more in that $12-14 range.

8 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Wasn't that about average as to what NoDa and Birdsong started off selling their canned beer?  I wonder if it has to do more that Sycamore is using a third party to do their canning versus owning the equipment themselves.  I could be wrong but when the other breweries used a third party instead of their own equipment I feel their price was more in that $12-14 range.

Nope. Birdsong Jalapeno has always been $9-10 and Noda Hop Drop has always been $11-12.  

• Like 1