Drinking Beer in Charlotte

ah59396

On 4/15/2016 at 11:32 AM, grodney said:

Did y'all see the generosity.com campaign to make an anti-HB2 beer?  The fundraising goal was $1,500 and so far they have over $33,000.  People in N.C. love their beer (and hate discrimination). I ordered a 4-pack. https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/don-t-be-mean-to-people-a-golden-rule-saison

I can't imagine the effort just to fulfill that many orders!

p.s. It just occurred to me that perhaps I first heard about this campaign in this very thread.  If so, I blame old age, barley, and hops.

Here is an update saying beer will be ready May 15. I wasnt sure if they were still on schedule as the fundraising page hasnt been updated in awhile. 

http://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/flights-blog/article75516447.html

Reasonably good article on why there's no local beer at Wells Fargo Golf (hint: Anheuser Busch and their distributors): https://www.charlotteagenda.com/49877/wells-fargo-championship-charlotte-beer-sorry-money-talks/

This really gets my goat.  The support of the Panthers, Hornets, Knights, etc is awesome.  It's embarrassing and sad that the golf tournament isn't on board.

Spotted some Birdsong cans of Fake Plastic Trees on the tweeters yesterday.  I hadn't seen this release announced anywhere previously but maybe I missed it.  Anyway I asked about it and they said hopefully releasing June 5.  As a semi-related aside, I might be alone but this is one of my least-favorite Charlotte beers......but the more local cans the better!

Triple C cans of Hyzer Hefeweizen go on sale in the taproom this Saturday, and around town starting Monday.

In non-CLT non-Meck news, Legal Remedy in Rock Hill announced they are getting their own canning line.

p.s. Yo RDF did you get any delicious #cltbeer while you were in town?

p.p.s. For those of you that enjoy a chuckle at Growler USA's prices, here's some more from last week:

growlerprices160512_zpsny1fdvch.jpg

Edited by grodney

I think it's been mentioned here before, but I want to say again what a fantastic job Heist is doing with their beers now. Last three times I've been there I found at least a couple really tasty brews... especially on the IPA front. I stopped by on Sunday. Had a flight and All is Ripe (a cloudy, heavy grapefruit IPA) and Reformed (Double IPA with flaked oats) really stood out. Reformed quite honestly was the best beer they've brewed that I have ever had -- haven't had Citraquintal but have heard that's awesome as well. Hiring that new brewer a year or two ago was the best thing Heist ever did. Now there is reason to go there beyond the food.. 

Edited by HopHead

5 minutes ago, HopHead said:

I think it's been mentioned here before, but I want to say again what a fantastic job Heist is doing with their beers now. Last three times I've been there I found at least a couple really tasty brews... especially on the IPA front. I stopped by on Sunday. Had a flight and All is Ripe (a cloudy, heavy grapefruit IPA) and Reformed (Double IPA with flaked oats) really stood out. Reformed quite honestly was the best beer they've brewed that I have ever had -- haven't had Citraquintal but have heard that's awesome as well. Hiring that new brewer a year or two ago was the best thing Heist ever did. Now there is reason to go there beyond the food.. 

I appreciate it.  We have (or had) completely sworn it off.  Maybe we'll go back one more time.  

Also of note: Heist was the only Charlotte medalist at the World Beer Cup, taking Bronze with their English Mild called "Brockwell".  http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/WBC-winners-2016.pdf

14 minutes ago, grodney said:

I appreciate it.  We have (or had) completely sworn it off.  Maybe we'll go back one more time.  

Also of note: Heist was the only Charlotte medalist at the World Beer Cup, taking Bronze with their English Mild called "Brockwell".  http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/WBC-winners-2016.pdf

Yea, I would recommend going back... I had done the same thing too. Then started hearing about all their new beers being way better than before. 

Speaking of Charlotte beer....has anyone heard any more rumors about where Southern Tier / Victory are going?  

If they looking to open the brewery in 2017, I would think they have location picked out by now and in planning. These big breweries are usually not the quickest things to build out and with their 18 month timeline, I would assume they had a pretty good idea of where they were going before it was ever announced they had a 18 month timeline.

57 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Speaking of Charlotte beer....has anyone heard any more rumors about where Southern Tier / Victory are going?  

If they looking to open the brewery in 2017, I would think they have location picked out by now and in planning. These big breweries are usually not the quickest things to build out and with their 18 month timeline, I would assume they had a pretty good idea of where they were going before it was ever announced they had a 18 month timeline.

I know someone who had been working with them and last I heard they still had not found a definite home, but that was probably over a month ago at this point. I do know they want to be in southend or further down by OMB / Sugar Creek. Agreed on the timing aspect though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grodney said:

Ass Clown tweetered pictures of 4 different cans yesterday:  IPA, Orange Citrus IPA, Hashashin (lime and mint IPA), and Imperial IPA.  They are hoping to release these in July.  The Hashashin can is pretty sweet, but all the others are pretty boring.

IMG_20160520_094022_zpsdrhayz31.jpg

Sounds really tasty.

17 minutes ago, grodney said:

Blue Blaze posted that "if all goes well with inspections and permitting", they should open next month.

Thirsty Nomad posted a photo saying "beer coming soon (it's fermenting)".

Map:  https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvfji2eVQoVE.kz5BFo-0quQ8

Its amazing that this Craft Beer Movement in Charlotte started only 7 years ago, and that I had my first IPA at Triple C only 4 years ago. This coincides with the 25 pounds I've gained in the last 4 years (After losing 115)

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its amazing that this Craft Beer Movement in Charlotte started only 7 years ago, and that I had my first IPA at Triple C only 4 years ago. This coincides with the 25 pounds I've gained in the last 4 years (After losing 115)

I blame that and untappd for my weight gain... 

Just now, HopHead said:

I heard that too... Since then, my pushup count has increased exponentially. 

Lots of Flys and Rows over this way. Pushups could help too.

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Check out this photo from Aug 2013 --- less than 3 years ago! --- how I packed for the beach then, vs the second photo how I pack now.

Then:

FB_IMG_1464267125575_zpsoeh5fx9i.jpg

Now:

IMG_20160525_211348_zpsltdjf5gb.jpg

• Like 3

I'm going to New Hampshire and Maine starting Friday. Anything you guys think I should be looking for? I'm going to be buying like a crate of Heady Topper to bring down south in July. 

40 minutes ago, grodney said:

Check out this photo from Aug 2013 --- less than 3 years ago! --- how I packed for the beach then, vs the second photo how I pack now.

Then:

FB_IMG_1464267125575_zpsoeh5fx9i.jpg

Now:

IMG_20160525_211348_zpsltdjf5gb.jpg

can you save me a kitten snuggles?